Road trip planned but my anxiety is driving me crazy.

A little background - I've always been anxious about traveling. Growing up, my family would never take road trips (my folks have always hated traveling), but we would only fly to europe to see relatives every other year. I never started road tripping until an ex got me to go on my first one about 10 years ago. Since then, I've seen a majority of the US, much of it on my own. Every couple of years I've gone on a road trip, be it a few hundred miles or a couple of thousand. But it's like I love it, yet I hate and dread it no matter how prepared I am.

A few months ago my best friend moved to California (I'm near Chicago), and so I decided to take a road trip out there to visit him, which starts in two days. I'm anxious to the point where I can barely sleep. And it's the same thing every time before I take a trip. I don't know why I'm like this but it drives me nuts. People ask why I'm so down and when I tell them it's because of the road trip, they can't understand and tell me I should be excited. Despite having flown over a dozen times in my life, I'm absolutely terrified of flying and I also like to stop at places along the way which you can't do on a plane. So that's why I don't fly.

I made the same road trip to California ten years ago by myself and it was stressful - I would get to my hotel room each night and almost be in tears because I missed home already.

I always push through the anxiety and I have a pretty good time, but I never seem to get used to traveling. I worry that if I bail out, my friend will be upset (even though he was in town last week and stayed with me for a couple of nights), but this anxiety is downright crippling at times. I'm at work right now and can't focus. The anxiety shows up at other times as well - I had a job interview a couple of weeks back and didn't sleep for two nights before it.

I get that these are things to be anxious about but it always seems that what I have is multiplied by 100 compared to how other people cope. I've been prescribed Paxil and Effexor a few years ago (during a turbulent time in a relationship) but it made me feel worse, so I stopped after a few months. My mother has major anxiety as well and hardly leaves the house, so I'm sure some of it is inherited.

Sorry for the rambling and thanks for reading. I'm just wondering if I should postpone the trip. All the trips I've done I would think I'd be used to this by now.

I would go. I LOVE driving. Plane travel eh I would rather be hit in the head with a metal pipe. I am apoplectic horrified of getting in an aircraft. If I am in control of all the movement I am in my element don’t let anybody else control my movement or forget it . Just relish being in control .

I would go. I LOVE driving. Plane travel eh I would rather be hit in the head with a metal pipe. I am apoplectic horrified of getting in an aircraft. If I am in control of all the movement I am in my element don’t let anybody else control my movement or forget it . Just relish being in control .

I feel the same as you about flying, and I love driving too! And that's why I feel so ridiculous. People think I'm nuts for doing something like driving 300 miles to photograph an eclipse for example, but it's my thing. So it makes no sense to me why I'm not looking forward to this.

I feel the same as you about flying, and I love driving too! And that's why I feel so ridiculous. People think I'm nuts for doing something like driving 300 miles to photograph an eclipse for example, but it's my thing. So it makes no sense to me why I'm not looking forward to this.

Hahahah sounds like me. I would drive anywhere anytime .

Can you identify what it is specifically that you are afraid of?

Medication treats the symptoms, if that, but it doesn't cure the problem. There are a lot of different types of therapies and self help books and courses for learning different techniques on how to handle and get a grip on anxiety. It's one of those things where you can't help getting it, but you can help yourself get a handle on it even if it takes some trial and error to find what works for you personally.

Can you identify what it is specifically that you are afraid of?

Medication treats the symptoms, if that, but it doesn't cure the problem. There are a lot of different types of therapies and self help books and courses for learning different techniques on how to handle and get a grip on anxiety. It's one of those things where you can't help getting it, but you can help yourself get a handle on it even if it takes some trial and error to find what works for you personally.

I think it's a mix of the dread of such a long drive and fear that I'm going to get in a bad accident and die. I keep picturing something happening to me like being robbed or kidnapped and things like that. And it's not even logical - I've never had anything bad happen on a trip. I'm spacing out the drive there and back over 10 days so it's not too taxing.

I will have to look up some reading material on anxiety and overthinking.

I think it's a mix of the dread of such a long drive and fear that I'm going to get in a bad accident and die. I keep picturing something happening to me like being robbed or kidnapped and things like that. And it's not even logical - I've never had anything bad happen on a trip. I'm spacing out the drive there and back over 10 days so it's not too taxing.

I will have to look up some reading material on anxiety and overthinking.

Well, anxiety by definition is not rational or logical. Sounds like you definitely need to find some tools that work for you to gain an upper hand and shut down that kind of thinking. It can be done, but what works and what doesn't is truly highly individual. You have to find what works for you personally.

Start a travel journal here with pics. People can enjoy vicariously and talk you down from the ledge...if needed.

Thank you, guys. I think I'll force myself to go and keep notes about how I feel along the trip so that when the next trip comes I can look at my notes and maybe it'll help.
I think it's great that you face your fears. Would it be better if you had someone go with you? You have to be careful these days out on the Interstates.

Yes that worries me. When I was younger I didn't think twice about that stuff but now I'm paranoid. I don't have anyone to go with. My best friend (and only real friend here aside from coworkers I hang out with) was the one who moved away, and my family hates road trips. I prefer to be alone anyway.

Start a travel journal here with pics. People can enjoy vicariously and talk you down from the ledge...if needed.

That's not a bad idea, thanks Wiseman!

Update: I've decided not to go. I spoke with some co-workers and family and they all agreed that I didn't seem like my heart was in it and that it's so long to drive alone and if I had a girlfriend or something it would make for a better trip. On top of that I just got a call back yesterday for a second interview at a job next week so I really should be here for that. And now I'm anxious about that...

I've decided to still take some of my time off and drive somewhere not so far like Nashville. My friend is bummed but I told him that in the spring I will suck it up and fly out there.

Have you ever heard of Genesight? It's where you can get your blood tested to see which medications would work best for you regarding anxiety and depression.

It is in the US and insurance covers part of it (I believe) or you can pay out of pocket.

I have heard great things about it and it cuts out all the guess work as to which medications will help the most with your anxiety.

It might be helpful. Just thought I would mention it.

Archived