Open Club  ·  45 members

Off Topic

Refusal to work for one’s own health?

Seraphim

The AC has been broken at my work for 3 weeks. My asthma has been getting worse by the day. I now can’t speak more than a few sentences without coughing until I throw up tons of liquid. I am taking my puffers daily with no relief until I am in AC at home.

Should I tell my employer I refuse to work until this is fixed? I do not fancy keeping up like this or ending up in the hospital on a ventilator.

I'd get a doctor's note before making any hard stands. In the US (can't imagine your laws aren't just as liberal up there), this would be pretty open-and-shut by the standards of the ADA, but you'd first need to provided the proper medical documentation to your employer.

Workplace health and safety - by law, you have the right to refuse work which puts you at risk or you do not believe is safe.

Id go get a doctors note today and bring it in for them as soon as you can. But that's because of your asthma. I've walked out on a shift in the past where I did not feel it was safe and appropriate measures were not being taken. It was an ammonia leak and the management was not evacuating staff but instead trying to get us to work with masks on. I was paid as I knew my rights and I did report them.