Headhunted, but content in current job - what to do...?

I have been with my company for over 7 years and have developed a healthy respect and rapport with my colleagues and internal partners, being a reliable expert in my area's responsibilities.

I am not someone with massive ambitions to climb the career ladder, so I have not pursued other roles within the company, having stayed in my position and becoming a semi-senior (still reporting to the same manager, but being treated on a similar level).

I have just received a call from an ex-colleague who has targeted me as a candidate for a new role in their company. He has described it attractively: falling within the same field as my current role, but with greater responsibilities, growth opportunities and business exposure. My skillset evidently came to mind and it certainly sounds like a more engaging role than what I am currently doing.

But I am someone who values loyalty, stability and comfort in my employment. The connections I have cultivated with my current colleagues, the value they see in me, and the ease of my workload - these are the key reasons that have kept me at my current job. I feel I can coast easily for years to come. But the one aspect that make me consider the new role is that my immediate team do not energize me much anymore.

So I am enticed by the new role in and of itself, but am still very much content with the wider comfort and familiarity of my current company.

I worry about severing connections with colleagues if I go (I am not a huge social media person, so people I enjoy seeing at work would drift away), but also missing a potential career opportunity that I would not seek out myself.

For staying: loyalty, respect, comfort, the wider colleagues

Against staying: immediate team

For going: career boost, exposure, opportunity

Against going: change, FOMO with my current company

I am in a bind. To leave or to stay... I am unable to make a decision.

Can someone give me some advice? Are there other considerations I should weigh up to help me choose?

Right. Like Pleasedonot5 said, you haven't gotten the job yet, so you're a little ahead of yourself. The interview might give you more information that could be the deciding factor. Like salary or compensation. And they usually give you a week or so to think about things. Also find out about the stability of the company. I took a job with a software company that was on its last legs and I didn't find out until later. And then take all of that into consideration.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the responses. They are indeed keen on me.

The interview was a formality more than anything. The job is mine to lose.

So my original post/dilemma still stands; the comfort, familiarity and established role is keeping me rooted, while the opportunity and growth is tugging at me...

Everything sounds good for the most part; it is very much the fear/nerves of whether I should take the leap. Regarding compensation, they have given me an offer - how much more should I ask for? And should it based on what I currently earn or their just their offer?

Regarding compensation, they have given me an offer - how much more should I ask for? And should it based on what I currently earn or their just their offer?

This is something that you ought to be able to answer. Is the offer better or worse than your current income? Will the new job require you to travel more, commute farther, or move? How much money would make it worth leaving your comfort zone?

It has been my experience that job hopping produced a better raise more quickly than hanging around at the old job. Plus, the incentive of stock options.

I worked in Silicon Valley for two decades, so my experience may not be typical for other places.

I negotiated for a higher salary, and the company has fought to get it approved. They are extremely keen on me.

But I am getting cold feet, queasy stomach, extreme nerves about the decision. What does this mean?

Is my body telling me to stay rather than go? I am excited by the prospects of the new job, but as I await the formal letter from HR, I continue to fight second thoughts.

I need to either decline the offer, or give my resignation notice ASAP. And the ticking clock is stressing me out...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...