Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

No makeup

Cope

Thank you everyone for our replies! It is refreshing to see that most don't even notice or care! Had a few gigs since then, no makeup on, noone judged, in fact had a friend telling me that there really is no point in applying makeup, you can't even tell.

Would love to hear more replies, if anyone's up for it! Thanks again!

I am a (hetero, professional) woman who has spent most of her life without makeup. I now generally wear eyeliner and mascara. If I remember, I add lip color. lol Usually I forget.

I am a big fan of performers with naked faces - Me'Shell Ndegeocello, Alicia Keyes... I find it compelling. Intimate. Sexy.

Depends on what the stage lights do and how that looks. Male musicians/actors wear make up for performing arts as well depending on that.

Exactly. If you are jamming on Youtube, it doesn't really matter. If you are playing in an arena - you should wear some makeup so people can make out your facial features a bit so the lights don't make your face look like a glowing blob or just a blob. It has nothing to do with "beauty standards." its pretty practical.

There are no theatrical performances where people are not at least wearing a small amount of makeup for that very fact in order to simply try to com across as "i indeed have a nose."

Also - it depends on what image you want to project and what you want to market yourself as. Do you want to project glamor? Do you want to project that you are a casual, laid back, gal? Do you want to project that "i want to look as natural as possible but I don't want my face to look so red (if you have acne or rosacea, etc.)?

I think not wearing makeup is fine as long as you are not playing at a huge venue.

Thank you everyone for our replies! It is refreshing to see that most don't even notice or care! Had a few gigs since then, no makeup on, noone judged, in fact had a friend telling me that there really is no point in applying makeup, you can't even tell.

Would love to hear more replies, if anyone's up for it! Thanks again!

If someone is truly talented, especially a folk artist or someone with a really distinctive voice it does not matter. If someone is a "put together" type of band where their image is really important because people who are just marginally talented are brought together -- then it matters a lot. But you will find that at a certain point - you might have to dress or make yourself up a different way depending on what genre of music it is

Archived