Open Club  ·  40 members

Off Topic

So I recently moved to a new place and want to lose some right badly.

They have a gym, a tennis court, badminton court, yoga, swimming, tennis, squash. Also a running track.

The problem is the classes for any of these cost quite a bit. I'm not great at any of them but know how to play. I also currently don't have any friends here yet.

What can I do that will help me lose weight ?!

Losing weight starts with food. The best thing I’ve found is tracking via an app, and being really honest about it. I love MyFitnessPal.

As for exercise, just walk a couple of miles, and once you get that going, look up youtube videos that you can go along with for squats, etc. All free.

If you’re in Austin, you can do some great light hiking, or a walk around LB Lake, etc. Again, all free!

Edited by LHGirl

What I would start with is walking outside or running (but I would start with brisk walking) - time yourself so you're doing a pace of at least 3.5 mph and find some good podcasts or music to download (I use an old fashioned mp3 player that has FM radio). Make a goal of 20 minutes and increase to at least 30 without stopping. Bring water. Do this at least 5 times a week. Also, buy or find workout videos that emphasize cardio - I use Leslie Sansome DVDs when my other workout options aren't available but I do those workouts with more intensity - but they're fine as they are.

Once you get into the habit of doing cardio-focused exercise for at least 30 minutes a day, 4-5 times a week (my routine is early morning and I would if I were you stick to a specific time of day whatever it is) for at least a few months then I'd look into investing in a gym or activity to either do cardio and/or build muscle -because then you will know that you are willing to make the commitment and put in the effort to make exercise part of your routine most days.

Also I'd make sure you're drinking at least 8 glasses of plain water a day and no drinks with sugar if at all possible.

I am not in the field/industry, just been working out regularly since 1982 with great results physically and mentally (great for me -I certainly don't look like a body builder but I've always been slim or thin).

You can run for free, all you need are decent shoes.

Yoga is another good all-around workout (any kind of plyometrics is, really) but I would strongly encourage that you do AT LEAST one class. Most people who have never been miss some important alignments in the foundational poses, which can result in injury/lesser benefits from the poses. From there, there are tons of free videos on the 'net - yoga your little heart out!

Agree with above - start out easy. Walk a mile or two per day. Then mix it up, walk some, jog some, always finish with walking to cool off. Start incorporating some stretches before you go. The biggest mistake people make is decide to exercise, jump in, take on too much, get sore or even injured and then get this connection in their mind that exercise = pain, so they just quit. If you make a slow progression out of it, you'll find that it becomes a pleasant habit that you actually look forward to. Much better chance of success that way. Walking, running are free. As you get more fit, you can certainly explore what more you'd like to do and take some lessons. You don't need to commit to some big lesson package while exploring. Try this or that a couple of times and see how you like it. Basically, stick with what makes you happy and what you can easily afford to keep up with.