Resembling somebody else.

Draco123

Just to give a bit of backstory,

From a young age, a lot of people, including my own family, would say I looked like a young Leonardo DiCaprio. Hey, I mean, what's so bad about that, right? He's good looking, (I'm straight by the way), he has a charm to him, and is very talented. Over the summer, I was focusing on exercise and my diet when sometimes I'd look in the mirror and think to myself, "Wow.. I really do resemble a young version of Jack Dawson." Some time would go by, and I'd actually watch some videos of Leonardo and think, that really looks like me. And recently I've been becoming self conscious about my looks and all, trying to look like him. I've even been raising my eyebrows more and trying to look like him. My family members, even my eighty year old grandmother, have been saying that I look like him when we'd watch one of his films. Lately, it's just been in my head. I keep on thinking about how I could look more like him and I think it's getting to the point where it's enough and that I need to do something about it. I wasn't born Leonardo Willhelm DiCaprio in 74.. I was born a different person at a different time. I think, based off of what I've been seeing, that I should just be myself; although I'd like to hear what you all would like to say.

Thank you.

Mmmmm not really sure what to say to this 😊 This story has made me smile.

Well Leo is quite a good looking chap so at least you resemble someone attractive. But ye, I'd probably suggest just being you and try not to get obsessed. But hey if you look like him so much maybe look into getting paid for being his double aye :)

You need to be you. Everyone is unique and you don't need to live a life being someone else's double, you need to live a life that is you and only you.

When you look in the mirror try and see yourself, not Leo. Identify your image as you, not him. It can really mess with your brain if you keep on.

You're 13 years old. Not sure what you have in mind to do to yourself to make you look like Leonardo DiCaprio? Seems very very weird/odd. Your face will change quite a lot in the next years and short of plastic/cosmetic surgery, not sure how you hope to achieve looking like some movie star?

You are who you are. Accept it.

I'm going to offer a different perspective here and say that it's okay to idolise certain celebrities/heroes when you're young, and even try to emulate them. I don't see this as particularly unhealthy since it seems to be a very common phase/milestone for a lot of young people - it is a way to make sense of the world and forming your own identity, when you don't have enough life experience to know yourself better

But I will say two things:

Firstly, it would be likely that you'll pick traits from different people and adapt or incorporate them. Say you like how Leo raises his eyebrows. And maybe you like how Matthew McConaughey smiles. Maybe you identify with a mannerism or personality trait of David Beckham or Hugh Jackman, or you like the way that Elon Musk has built his career. This can help you explore your personality and values, and that's okay. So long as you realise you are an individual with a unique combination of traits

Secondly, people will cotton on very quickly if you act like someone other than who you truly are. So even if you want to explore different styles, behaviours and personality traits, make sure that you're doing it with the aim of finding "you". It's no use trying to pull off someone else's style if it's not authentic on you - it ends up being tacky. So take bits and pieces from those you admire, but adapt them to your personality and remember that it's about being the best Draco123 that you can be. You are looking to others for inspiration, but your evolution is a very personal journey

A lot of people say Leo looks a bit like Jack Nicholson now. I don't see him particularly trying to do that though, other than the occasional

If you naturally look a bit like Leo, great. You're a lucky guy. Unless you plan on becoming a professional Leo impersonator, I wouldn't advise trying to look like Leo (especially in an invasive way like plastic surgery!).

I know this may sound tired, but be yourself. I don't know about you, but when and where I grew up, if you obviously tried to emulate someone else, you were called a poser or a wannabe. Definite bad connotation there.

A lot of people say Leo looks a bit like Jack Nicholson now. I don't see him particularly trying to do that though, other than the occasional

If you naturally look a bit like Leo, great. You're a lucky guy. Unless you plan on becoming a professional Leo impersonator, I wouldn't advise trying to look like Leo (especially in an invasive way like plastic surgery!).

I know this may sound tired, but be yourself. I don't know about you, but when and where I grew up, if you obviously tried to emulate someone else, you were called a poser or a wannabe. Definite bad connotation there.

I completely agree. I look like a younger version of him, but the way I always thought about it was that I look like him, but not exactly like him, and that if I made a few changes, I could look (exactly) like him.

I was just looking up Zach Braff and Dax Shepard, and they get confused for each other all the time. IF you want to know what Leo looked like as a teen, look up his appearances on Growing Pains...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXiSQqq9Vss

Just keep in mind, so what if you look like him now at 13 - you could become even more hotter when you grow up. He is rocking a dad bod now. Don't worry about him. Focus on what makes you happy!

I'm going to offer a different perspective here and say that it's okay to idolise certain celebrities/heroes when you're young, and even try to emulate them. I don't see this as particularly unhealthy since it seems to be a very common phase/milestone for a lot of young people - it is a way to make sense of the world and forming your own identity, when you don't have enough life experience to know yourself better

But I will say two things:

Firstly, it would be likely that you'll pick traits from different people and adapt or incorporate them. Say you like how Leo raises his eyebrows. And maybe you like how Matthew McConaughey smiles. Maybe you identify with a mannerism or personality trait of David Beckham or Hugh Jackman, or you like the way that Elon Musk has built his career. This can help you explore your personality and values, and that's okay. So long as you realise you are an individual with a unique combination of traits

Secondly, people will cotton on very quickly if you act like someone other than who you truly are. So even if you want to explore different styles, behaviours and personality traits, make sure that you're doing it with the aim of finding "you". It's no use trying to pull off someone else's style if it's not authentic on you - it ends up being tacky. So take bits and pieces from those you admire, but adapt them to your personality and remember that it's about being the best Draco123 that you can be. You are looking to others for inspiration, but your evolution is a very personal journey

This is true.. thanks for the advice man

This made me happy, so thanks for that.

I don't really look a lot like him back when he was on growing pains.. I look more like him when he got older, maybe when he was twenty or so. Once I got my new teachers this year they all said I looked like him.. I've been asked out a few times, and a couple of the girls that did ask me out were fans of a young Leonardo. I don't really.. well, I don't really want to be like him or copy his every move - that's unhealthy. I'd rather work on myself in becoming a better me while at the same time maybe trying to resemble him a little more. It does make me happy, knowing that I'm thought to look like someone who is up there with Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise as far as looks go. I just feel like something is a bit off, like I'm not supposed to be doing all this at my age. I'm a teenage boy and I'm stuck in a decade I didn't take a breath in. It's hard to decide what's right. Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it a lot.

Archived