I don't think I will ever understand guys

SeaBisquit

I texted a good guy friend of mine and told him happy Valentine's day you are a great friend. He actually got mad and texted back oh your starting this again. I have no idea why he got so mad..I bought him a book and candy and a card telling him how I appreciated out frienship..When I gave him the gifts he got even more angry and started yelling at me. I was so hurt. He never opened the gifts and never said thankyou..what did I do wrong?

That's the part I don't understand..He always buys me gift so I thought I would buy him something and just let him know I appreciate him as a friend..I don't think I'm clingy because he always asks me to hang out at his house..But he says we are just friends..

Maybe he has a mental illness.

Well, to be honest, Valentines Day is supposed to be for couples, not friends. Seems really odd to give a friend gifts and text Valentines messages. I would have felt extremely uncomfortable if a simple friend sent me a Valentines text and gave me a gift. Just too weird (imo). He's probably wondering if you're trying to come onto him and want something from him, when he really isn't interested in you at all (other than being a friend). Most likely he felt really awkward/uncomfortable, hence his reaction.

He's probably wondering if you're trying to come onto him and want something from him, when he really isn't interested in you at all (other than being a friend). Most likely he felt really awkward/uncomfortable, hence his reaction.

That’s the first impression I got.

But I do believe that friends can give each other gifts, especially if the friends are single and don’t have someone to love. I think it’s nice.

That’s the first impression I got.

But I do believe that friends can give each other gifts, especially if the friends are single and don’t have someone to love. I think it’s nice.

Of course friends can give each other gifts. Just seems really odd (to me, at least), why it has to be on Valentines Day of all days, when it is universally accepted as being a day for "lovers", couples, romance. Maybe he got spooked because of the "romance" of Valentines Day and he does NOT want any of that with his friend. Totally understandable, imo.

I don't know. We always do stuff for each other..We bought each other a ton of gifts for Christmas. I bought him a book nothing personal..I didn't buy sexy underwear or nothing like that. I think he likes someone else and wishes he was with her. The more I think about it that probably the reason he is acting like this. In general I buy people gifts all the time. It's just something I like to do.

Sounds like his love language is definitely NOT the one about receiving gifts. You got four other ones to try and see if he gets angry with those or not. Also Valentine’s isn’t just strictly for couples so don’t feel bad for expressing gratitude for your friendship. A coworker of mine always gets me something every year.

Is this the guy who's constantly arguing with you that you wrote about last October? That's why he exploded when you gave him a gift. He's emotionally abusing you. You said you were thinking of moving to get away from him. You need to follow through and get away from abusive guys!

You haven't said much but reading between the lines...

I would imagine you have pushed what he is comfortable with in regards to the bounds of your relationship.

Giving him a gift on Valentine's Day pushed it again and made him uncomfortable.

I don't give friends gifts on vday and others have said as much.

I understand you think it is fine bit obviously the guy you were gifting to doesn't.

He sees you as a friend and got annoyed at a vday gift because like us, he sees implications.

Edited by thealchemist

Usually wouldn't put so much behind unstated details, but it seems clear that he likes you, most likely has stated as much, and you haven't or won't give him the time of day in that regard. You then proceeding to wish him a Happy Valentine's Day is understandably unwelcome. Now, if that does more or less represent the scenario, I'm not saying that I feel exceptionally bad for him if he's continuing to hang out in the periphery while understanding that reality, but that his reaction really shouldn't be a surprise to you.

Usually wouldn't put so much behind unstated details, but it seems clear that he likes you, most likely has stated as much, and you haven't or won't give him the time of day in that regard. You then proceeding to wish him a Happy Valentine's Day is understandably unwelcome. Now, if that does more or less represent the scenario, I'm not saying that I feel exceptionally bad for him if he's continuing to hang out in the periphery while understanding that reality, but that his reaction really shouldn't be a surprise to you.

Yes I have to say, if a guy was giving me gifts for Christmas, or anytime, I would assume he liked me. I think what he got mad at was that you were emphasizing the friendship part of it.