I just need to vent

Beautyisthin26

I just turned 21 a month ago. I have a stable job, a few bills here and there, nothing too horrible.

I have a boyfriend I’ve been with for 3 years as of today, who’s been there- sort of- in my moments of depression/obstacles/anxieties... yet I am unhappy.

I’m sad so many days out of the week, if not all of them. I’m angry and frustrated and tired. I’m unmotivated, depressed, sluggish. I keep thinking that the sadness will go away when things “get better for me”.

I feel alone surrounded by the people that have raised me, around the person who swears to love me.

I feel like I don’t know who I am anymore.

I know; how cliche, right?

I’m afraid to start taking the anti-depressants my doctor prescribed to me. The way they “relieve” my symptoms isn’t exactly how I thought they would. They make me feel numb, I’m not tired, not sad, but I’m not energetic or happy... I’m just... there.

All I’m trying to say is, I wouldn’t mind if my life ended today or tomorrow. I have nothing to look forward to anyways. I’m not trying to round up pity from any of you who might read this, I’m just voicing what I’ve kept in for so long here, where no one really knows who I am, where no one will actually care.

First of all, you do have the rest of your life ahead of you. I'm 61 and if my life had ended when I was 21, I would have missed an awful lot. You have to hang in there. You have to fight the depression. Don't let it get you. You're going to experience amazing things.

Try to get out of the house. Hang out with your friends and relatives. They will protect you. Your boyfriend too. Have him take you out to places you like. I know it's winter now, but get out in the sun, breathe fresh air, hike through the snow, climb a mountain, go dancing. Tell your boyfriend it's his job to take your mind off things. Go to events. Travel. Go do things. Doctors think depression is caused by a chemical imbalance. Try the drugs for a while. See if they can pull you out of your funk. At age 21 your body is changing. The amount of estrogen and other hormones are settling down. It can cause a last burst (hopefully) of depression. Just keep in mind that it's a false feeling caused by an imbalance. It's not a "real" feeling. Just hold on and don't give into it. You can be happy again.

I just turned 21 a month ago. I have a stable job, a few bills here and there, nothing too horrible.

I have a boyfriend I’ve been with for 3 years as of today, who’s been there- sort of- in my moments of depression/obstacles/anxieties... yet I am unhappy.

I’m sad so many days out of the week, if not all of them. I’m angry and frustrated and tired. I’m unmotivated, depressed, sluggish. I keep thinking that the sadness will go away when things “get better for me”.

I feel alone surrounded by the people that have raised me, around the person who swears to love me.

I feel like I don’t know who I am anymore.

I know; how cliche, right?

I’m afraid to start taking the anti-depressants my doctor prescribed to me. The way they “relieve” my symptoms isn’t exactly how I thought they would. They make me feel numb, I’m not tired, not sad, but I’m not energetic or happy... I’m just... there.

All I’m trying to say is, I wouldn’t mind if my life ended today or tomorrow. I have nothing to look forward to anyways. I’m not trying to round up pity from any of you who might read this, I’m just voicing what I’ve kept in for so long here, where no one really knows who I am, where no one will actually care.

Don't take the anti-depressants. They will mess with your brain and make you dependant - where you will require other drugs and higher dosage. And they only mask the problem, anyway.

Is there a reason why you are depressed - bad childhood, past trauma, etc?

Get a good workup from a physician. Discuss your concerns about medications and if you feel they are not working and why. Then continue both talk therapy and medical therapy for depression. Medications take time to relieve depression, but they are not a panacea or "happy pills". Sometimes medications need to be changed or doses altered until the optimal situation for you is achieved.

I’m angry and frustrated and tired. I’m unmotivated, depressed, sluggish. I’m afraid to start taking the anti-depressants my doctor prescribed to me. They make me feel numb, I’m not tired, not sad, but I’m not energetic or happy.

Archived