I did not do what I ought. How to handle?

IAmFCA

Y'all, I have the sort of job where I pay for work expenses personally, and then put in for reimbursement on a monthly basis.

We are required to submit within 60 to 90 days of expense. I didnt. I just submitted for Sep, am submitting Oct today, and will submit Nov and Dec tomorrow.

My boss chastised me for this last night, by email - so no reply yet from me. I am responding in substance by getting them done. Is any other response required?

"I understand. I again apologize profusely and can assure you measures will be taken so that this mistake doesn't repeat itself. Thank you for your patience" is pretty much a tagline of mine at this point.

I am the absolute worst person in the world when it comes to filling out invoices for the agencies I contract with in a timely manner. I'm very good at my job and the job itself gets done reliably well, so payroll puts up with the headache. Still, I know there's a chance it'll come with an email slapping me on the wrist and I'll put on my best humble face. But I admit I am very much desensitized to getting chewed out.

Bottom line is I'm assuming you still did the work expected of you with the materials you're now getting your reimbursement paperwork in for. While not to minimize the significance of getting such information to them in a timely manner, you've come through on what's most important, and so long as this is an isolated incident, I can't imagine him even remembering about it next week. Depending on how clearly closed he left the email to you, I'd either just stick to following through in your actions or respond with a final and simple concession. If it's two sentences, it was probably just a quick quip. If it was anything lengthy, he'd probably like a humble acknowledgment.

"I understand. I again apologize profusely and can assure you measures will be taken so that this mistake doesn't repeat itself. Thank you for your patience" is pretty much a tagline of mine at this point.

I am the absolute worst person in the world when it comes to filling out invoices for the agencies I contract with in a timely manner. I'm very good at my job and the job itself gets done reliably well, so payroll puts up with the headache. Still, I know there's a chance it'll come with an email slapping me on the wrist and I'll put on my best humble face. But I admit I am very much desensitized to getting chewed out.

Bottom line is I'm assuming you still did the work expected of you with the materials you're now getting your reimbursement paperwork in for. While not to minimize the significance of getting such information to them in a timely manner, you've come through on what's most important, and so long as this is an isolated incident, I can't imagine him even remembering about it next week. Depending on how clearly closed he left the email to you, I'd either just stick to following through in your actions or respond with a final and simple concession. If it's two sentences, it was probably just a quick quip. If it was anything lengthy, he'd probably like a humble acknowledgment.

Yes, you've nailed it. Thank you

Good advice above, and as a go-forward remedy I'd consider viewing admin through a different lens. It's not a private penalty, it's not even private--it's one of the levers that can either run smoothly--as you'd wish to be perceived--or it's one of the levers that can get pulled down on your bosses to view YOU through the wrong lens.

One thing I find helpful is to create little rewards for myself for being meticulous at a regular time each week, and I end up thanking myself later for all of the last minute frenzy this spares me.

Archived