Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Finding me...

milly007

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was an interesting and humorous experience, for sure. At one point, he was even trying to help me pick out sunglasses. "You should try these. They make a statement". Lol

Yes. I hope you kept your purse/valuables very close to your body. You never know. Sorry to be so cynical just what I've seen occur unfortunately.

Yes. I hope you kept your purse/valuables very close to your body. You never know. Sorry to be so cynical just what I've seen occur unfortunately.

I hear you. I'm cautious about these things. I wear a cross-body bag in a specific way to avoid this. I strap it diagonally across my body with the purse in front.

Mr. Bubble Tea was nowhere near it. Don't worry, Bat! :) But like I said, I hear you.

• 1 month later...

My dad checked himself into the emergency department at the hospital yesterday. Initially they thought he had a herniated disc, but after conducting an MRI this morning, they discovered cancer and they've scheduled him for emergency radiation tomorrow morning. 'Emergency radiation'? I've never heard this term before. He's still at the hospital and they're transporting him to a different city tomorrow for the treatment.

This all came on suddenly. No one saw this coming.

I'm shocked, angry and full of questions. I'm normally the person there with my parents when something like this surfaces and tend to ask the doctors a lot of questions. Because I'm a distance away, and because this all came on suddenly, I wasn't there to ask the questions that I want. So I asked my dad to put me on speaker phone with him during his appointment with the radiologist tomorrow morning so I can ask whatever I need to ask. I don't want to be present due to the coronavirus outbreak and put anyone at risk; especially considering my dad's circumstances.

My dad couldn't even tell me what type of cancer it is. And it sounds like there's more than one tumor.

That said, I've decided I'm going to be moving back to help my parents and have given my notice for my residence and place of work.

I don't think my heart has ever felt this broken. And since finding out that my dad was in the hospital last night, I've felt very anxious - because I'm not there with my family and have very limited information with respect to my dad.

Apparently the C is throughout his body and the doctor is recommending radiation and chemo.

One fear I've always had, since I was very young, is losing my parents. Sure, we've had our differences, but we've always loved each other so much and unconditionally. He and my mom are my go-to people. In so many ways, my dad has always been my rock. This may sound cheesy, but it's true.

I talked to my dad a few times today and we always end our phone calls by saying 'I love you'. Today, when I said it, it stirred up so many emotions in the both of us. We could both barely get a word out after that. My dad is looking at this diagnosis as if it's the end of the road for him, whereas I'm trying to convince him to stay positive & that we're going to fight this diagnosis. He basically said, "Look honey, we have to be realistic about this". I told him that I am being realistic and that it's important for us to stay positive. We somehow got into a discussion about, and I have no idea how, losing our parents. He said, "I remember when I lost my mom. I didn't know how I could ever live without her, but I did. When our parents pass away, we wonder how we'll survive, but we do, and life goes on". It was such an uncomfortable conversation, but because my dad knows about my fear of losing them, it just kinda felt like this weird pep-talk where my dad was essentially trying to say that, regardless of what happens, and as hard as it might be, everything will be okay.

I just can't imagine my life without either of them in it. I really can't. I just can't imagine losing anyone that we're capable of loving THIS much. If anything happened to him, I think it would break me.

So very sorry to hear about this, milly. Sending all the strong and healing vibes your way, and your father's way.

So strange. I responded to your message, bluecastle, but it didn't post. Let me try this again!

Thank you. My family and I can use all the strong and healing vibes we can get!

my dad was essentially trying to say that, regardless of what happens, and as hard as it might be, everything will be okay.

Of course, that was what he was doing. Sweet of him, really. Being a dad despite himself :)

I just can't imagine my life without either of them in it. I really can't. I just can't imagine losing anyone that we're capable of loving THIS much. If anything happened to him, I think it would break me.

I understand. I still have this fear, and I lost my dad back in 2010. It's not just losing someone you love; it's losing someone who loves you that much.

I honestly can’t pack my things fast enough right now. I want to be with my family. Hopefully this mindset will motivate me tomorrow to get even more packing done throughout the day.

Feelings come in waves. One minute, I’m fine. The next, I want to curl up in a ball on my bed & remain this way indefinitely.

Thankfully I have siblings. All big brothers. One lives in the same city as me & he’s going to help me move over the weekend. We’ll be loading up his van & driving back to my parents place together. He can’t stay for long, as he has a wife & a couple of cute children he has to get back to in the city.

I’ll be venting about this situation on here non-stop over the next while, but I’m really hoping that in amongst this sadness my family & I will receive some positive, uplifting news regarding my dad & his health.

I understand. I still have this fear, and I lost my dad back in 2010. It's not just losing someone you love; it's losing someone who loves you that much.

I'm so sorry about the loss of your father, Jibralta. I can't imagine.

You're so right about not only losing someone that we love so much, but losing someone who loves us so much. That's such a great way to put it, because it's so true! It's such a powerful thing - true, genuine, unconditional love.

My dad checked himself into the emergency department at the hospital yesterday. Initially they thought he had a herniated disc, but after conducting an MRI this morning, they discovered cancer and they've scheduled him for emergency radiation tomorrow morning. 'Emergency radiation'? I've never heard this term before. He's still at the hospital and they're transporting him to a different city tomorrow for the treatment.

This all came on suddenly. No one saw this coming.

I'm shocked, angry and full of questions. I'm normally the person there with my parents when something like this surfaces and tend to ask the doctors a lot of questions. Because I'm a distance away, and because this all came on suddenly, I wasn't there to ask the questions that I want. So I asked my dad to put me on speaker phone with him during his appointment with the radiologist tomorrow morning so I can ask whatever I need to ask. I don't want to be present due to the coronavirus outbreak and put anyone at risk; especially considering my dad's circumstances.

My dad couldn't even tell me what type of cancer it is. And it sounds like there's more than one tumor.

That said, I've decided I'm going to be moving back to help my parents and have given my notice for my residence and place of work.

I don't think my heart has ever felt this broken. And since finding out that my dad was in the hospital last night, I've felt very anxious - because I'm not there with my family and have very limited information with respect to my dad.

Apparently the C is throughout his body and the doctor is recommending radiation and chemo.

Ugh, that's horrible. Sorry to hear about your dad. Good you are going back. The more time you spend with him the better.

It is an emotional rollercoaster but you can't do much. The only things you can do is to be with your dad as much as you can and push the doctors to do their job properly. Hopefully things can change for the better!

Ugh, that's horrible. Sorry to hear about your dad. Good you are going back. The more time you spend with him the better.

It is an emotional rollercoaster but you can't do much. The only things you can do is to be with your dad as much as you can and push the doctors to do their job properly. Hopefully things can change for the better!

Thank you, dias. Just trying to stay positive over here.

So my dad attended the radiologist's office and I was able to speak with the doctor throughout the meeting. My dad was transported to another hospital 45 minutes away to meet with the radiologist. They gave my dad the option of starting radiation asap on Tuesday, or they said we could get further tests done to confirm the location of the cancer & then begin treatment.

Starting radiation would mean we don't know the origin of the tumor and would limit his treatment plan to radiation. If we're able to locate where the tumor originated, the treatment would involve both radiation and chemotherapy & would, according to the radiologist, be much more effective.

What I don't understand is, why didn't they conduct all of these other tests prior to transporting him to this other city to meet with the radiologist 45 minutes away. Although, yeah, I definitely have a good idea as to why they did this, but I'll reserve my comments.

After the meeting, they transported him back to the initial hospital to conduct numerous tests, including a biopsy.

He's still undergoing tests. Most have come back clear. We're just waiting on the biopsy at this point.

To add fuel to the fire, I'm in the midst of packing to move back on Sunday, and we received word today that the hospital is closed off from all visitors.

In all honesty, I knew deep down that because of the coronavirus that we wouldn't be able to see him in the hospital, but I still had an ounce of hope that I could see his cute face.

I'm packing while being on back-to-back phone calls with family and doctors.

Honestly, this all feels like a nightmare. Unreal.

Archived