Would you be embarrassed if....

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to insult your mom at all! Just to clarify, I meant that her worries ( of others judging) , I don't think are worth worrying about!

I think you have a good grasp of why she thinks as she does.

Oh for sure I know you were not insulting my mom. No worries. Also too my mother is very vain and worries a lot about what other people think of her and her children . And that is baggage she wants to hand onto me and I also refuse to pick that up .

Get a power scooter!!!! Do not be embarrassed! So normal - people have surgery, different types of arthritis, and other conditions that they need a well deserved break form walking. And are your age or younger or older. Doesn't matter.

How funny you mention them I have a tab open on ebay looking at them now ... you have a look vic they are FABULOUS ... I have my eye on one with a seat , lights , a basket ..all on two chunky wheels ...nearly £500 like ..* starts saving

vic that pic of your foot is terrible , you can't put yourself through this anymore x

Absolutely, I could remind my mother that she got her total knee replacement so she was no longer isolated . That her life was becoming very isolated even with in their own home never mind anywhere else . My life is just beginning to become isolated . But she likes to play the compare game between me and her . And I constantly remind her I am me and not her. And she reminds me that I want you to be 1000 times better than me . And I tell her well I have to deal with what I'm given . We both have RA and osteo and it goes at different rates in different people and at different times. So I am progressing faster than she did nothing I can do .

I would say though since a lot of my extensive therapy most of what she says I no longer take to heart nor take as insulting but just take as her not understanding where she got her own issues . And take as her not understanding she's trying to hand me her handbag of problems that I refused to pick up . We have good boundaries now for the most part .

Other people who want to judge me I really don't care .

Great! So you can see that this statement is coming from someone who uses statements 'like' this to isolate herself. You also see that her aversion to participating in the world isn't healthy to adopt.

Your insight might find ways to gently challenge her by asking her to question 'why' she'd be embarrassed, and then challenge again any rote and abstract responses. You can maybe bribe her with some kind of reward for considering a move past any reasons she comes up with, and ask her to join you in a more robust mentality about using any device necessary to ease discomfort and take baby steps toward living larger rather than smaller.

My heart is with you in this. I have an elderly Mom and step Dad who can no longer serve as models for the mentality I must adopt for myself. During times of injury or illness, I must seek input from people my own age to get motivated by strategies for healing and adapting to avoid growing old before my time.

Great! So you can see that this statement is coming from someone who uses statements 'like' this to isolate herself. You also see that her aversion to participating in the world isn't healthy to adopt.

Your insight might find ways to gently challenge her by asking her to question 'why' she'd be embarrassed, and then challenge again any rote and abstract responses. You can maybe bribe her with some kind of reward for considering a move past any reasons she comes up with, and ask her to join you in a more robust mentality about using any device necessary to ease discomfort and take baby steps toward living larger rather than smaller.

My heart is with you in this. I have an elderly Mom and step Dad who can no longer serve as models for the mentality I must adopt for myself. During times of injury or illness, I must seek input from people my own age to get motivated by strategies for healing and adapting to avoid growing old before my time.

Oh no, My mom greatly participates in the world and has dozens of friends. It is that she believes pounding yourself physically into the dust has honour, integrity and merit. Her parents thought that too. I am vastly thinking that's nuts and all my counsellors thought that was just nuts.

How funny you mention them I have a tab open on ebay looking at them now ... you have a look vic they are FABULOUS ... I have my eye on one with a seat , lights , a basket ..all on two chunky wheels ...nearly £500 like ..* starts saving

vic that pic of your foot is terrible , you can't put yourself through this anymore x

You're right pounding myself into the dust is crazy .

• 3 weeks later...

Archived