Can't drive ? Deal breaker

Stef91

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For me it's about being responsible enough to have a car! Not complete deal breaker tho

I'm not sure what that means if a person doesn't need a car to get around. I've always been a very responsible person and I've never owned a car. I know people who drive who don't have a car - use a parents car etc

It's about being an adult and having your own car.

Oh good lord, that is such a rigid way of thinking. Is that how you judge what being an adult is, owning a car? LOL

I have always owned a car but since living and working downtown, having a car became a great big headache.

I literally never drove it, never needed to, everything including my job, social circle and the men I dated were all downtown and I (we) walked everywhere.

So it was sitting in my garage for what? So I could fork out $80.00 per month for parking, $150.00 per month for insurance?

Fortunately the car was paid off but before that, I was paying $250 per month on my car loan and I still wasn't driving it!

That's $480.00 per month for a car I didn't need and was sitting in the garage, with a dead battery for not driving it.

So the financially responsible thing to do was SELL IT, which I did and made some good money from doing so.

Not to mention the money I was saving on parking and insurance every month.

I call THAT being a responsible adult, not owning a car I had no need for.

No disrespect but I would suggest you open up your mind a little, and allow for all the different circumstances as to why someone may not wish to own a car.

Oh good lord, that is such a rigid way of thinking. Is that how you judge what being an adult is, owning a car? LOL

I have always owned a car but since living and working downtown, having a car became a great big headache.

I literally never drove it, never needed to, everything including my job, social circle and the men I dated were all downtown and I (we) walked everywhere.

So it was sitting in my garage for what? So I could fork out $80.00 per month for parking, $150.00 per month for insurance?

Fortunately the car was paid off but before that, I was paying $250 per month on my car loan and I still wasn't driving it!

That's $480.00 per month for a car I didn't need and was sitting in the garage, with a dead battery for not driving it.

So the financially responsible thing to do was SELL IT, which I did and made some good money from doing so.

Not to mention the money I was saving on parking and insurance every month.

I call THAT being a responsible adult, not owning a car I had no need for.

No disrespect but I would suggest you open up your mind a little, and allow for all the different circumstances as to why someone may not wish to own a car.

I appreciate your point of view. Personally having a car for my lifestyle and my children is necessary.

If having a car for your lifestyle isn't a must that awesome for you!

I'm wondering where did your question come from? Did someone say it was a deal breaker?

It's about being an adult and having your own car.

yes, if you need a car and cannot get around in any practical way without one, you should have a car - but teenagers buy cars too and having a car doesn't make you any more "adult" -just means that you either want a car or you have to have one in order to get from place to place. My mother never drove or owned a car -she is 82 -the major city in which I grew up in didn't require having a car in order to have excellent transportation and in fact it was a hindrance more than a help.

What city are you in? This is also a deciding factor!

I live and work in downtown San Diego (southern California, approx. 20- 30 miles north of Mexico), not a large city by most standards, but I am literally able to walk everywhere, including my job.

I live 4 blocks from the "Gaslamp Quarter" where all the restaurants, clubs, theaters, etc are located, three blocks from Seaport Village (more restaurants, shops, the marina, parks, beach), two blocks from major shopping mall, two blocks from Convention Center.

Public transport is also very accessible.

I know it sounds strange to not own a car, but it really does make the most sense for me since like I said I am able to walk everywhere.

All that said, I may be moving out of downtown early next year when lease is up, in which case I will need a car.

Not thrilled, I sort of enjoy not having to drive everywhere, but away from downtown would definitely need.

Oh and the OP had asked if it was a deal-breaker. I responded to that question in an earlier post.

My brother and husband both owned a car at 16. They weren't adults . However my husband lived in the country and needed a car to drive to high school . My brother wanted a car cause he didn't like the big yellow limo. I now live in a city with no public transportation we own 3 cars but I don't think it makes us more adult, it gives us access from point a to B .

I live and work in downtown San Diego (southern California, approx. 20- 30 miles north of Mexico), not a large city by most standards, but I am literally able to walk everywhere, including my job.

I live 4 blocks from the "Gaslamp Quarter" where all the restaurants, clubs, theaters, etc are located, three blocks from Seaport Village (more restaurants, shops, the marina, parks, beach), two blocks from major shopping mall, two blocks from Convention Center.

Public transport is also very accessible.

I know it sounds strange to not own a car, but it really does make the most sense for me since like I said I am able to walk everywhere.

All that said, I may be moving out of downtown early next year when lease is up, in which case I will need a car.

Not thrilled, I sort of enjoy not having to drive everywhere, but away from downtown would definitely need.

Oh and the OP had asked if it was a deal-breaker. I responded to that question in an earlier post.

I went on vacation last year to San Diego and our hotel was in the Gaslamp Quarter. We didn't even use the rental car, much easier to just walk. Not driving is still a deal breaker for me though!

I went on vacation last year to San Diego and our hotel was in the Gaslamp Quarter. We didn't even use the rental car, much easier to just walk. Not driving is still a deal breaker for me though!

Do you remember the name of the hotel?

If you ever make it out here again, shoot me a PM!

I am like four blocks away, literally.

If someone asks you out to dinner is it fair for them to ask you to pick them up?

dk, guy I am dating now (one month yesterday lives 40 minutes away.

He usually drives down to me and we go out down here (walk).

Last weekend though, he picked me up, drove us up to his on Saturday, then me back down on Sunday, then the next night he drove back down!

It's too much driving, if we continue to date, I will probably need to get a car at some point.

His house is beautiful, very peaceful. It's a bit of a drive to town, but it was so nice getting away from all the hustle and bustle (and noise) downtown.

Last weekend though, he picked me up, drove us up to his on Saturday, then me back down on Sunday, then the next night he drove back down!

It's too much driving, if we continue to date, I will probably need to get a car at some point.

His house is beautiful, very peaceful. It's a bit of a drive to town, but it was so nice getting away from all the hustle and bustle (and noise) downtown.

Wow sounds like a great a guy!

It does sound beautiful and a nice change of pace and - since you typically don't drive/don't need to drive how would you feel living out there permanently (hypothetically!!) and relying on a car to get around. Is that ok with you or is that a huge downside and a motivator to live where you do? Just asking more for general reasons - one reason we don't live in the burbs is because I feel as you do in your description but wouldn't want to live there full time. Where I grew up we didn't need a car and it was more of a hindrance but in this smaller city the public transportation/proximity to basic places isn't as good so most people drive.

I dont think its a big deal but they should still try to make effort to see you. That would make all the difference in deal breaker or not. Many people dont drive but they still go to work right? Same with a relationship. Id only say deal breaker if they dont drive AND dont use any other forms of transportation to see you etc.

I dont think its a big deal but they should still try to make effort to see you. That would make all the difference in deal breaker or not. Many people dont drive but they still go to work right? Same with a relationship. Id only say deal breaker if they dont drive AND dont use any other forms of transportation to see you etc.

Exactly. There are trains, buses, taxis, Uber, etc.

I actually prefer the train and whenever I visit my brother in L.A., that's what I do.

I actually like the train, the route to L.A. is right up the Pacific coast, and even if I had a car, I would still take the train!

I have taken trains to other parts of California also and once to Arizona.

Thats an amazing thing and sounds like a great guy! My current bf doesnt even drive 15 miles to me (20 minutes away) . Smh
Exactly. There are trains, buses, taxis, Uber, etc.

I actually prefer the train and whenever I visit my brother in L.A., that's what I do.

I actually like the train, the route to L.A. is right up the Pacific coast, and even if I had a car, I would still take the train!

I have taken trains to other parts of California also and once to Arizona.

Exactly! I live in NYC and some places u can only really take cab or taxi because its way too busy and no parking. I drive if Im going away from the city but thats about it !

Archived