Made a huge mistake

I feel like with this whole situation I just acted way too fast. So a couple months back, I had gotten a new job. I took it because I needed a full time hours and my old job was part time while in college. After getting the job, I got an apartment which I just moved into last week. I was living with my mom, I didn't have to move out right away, but within the next 6 months because she is moving to a smaller space. I figured since I have the new job and had money saved for first and last, I'd find a place, and be closer to my work. Two months into the job, I really don't like it. I am stressed out by it, it's not worth the stress and I have anxiety and a sense of dread every morning before work. I understand that work is work, but I have never had no motivation to go into work before at any job like I've had at this one. So the other day, I had such terrible anxiety before work that I didn't even end up calling. Yes, I know this is very unprofessional and passive, no one called me since the company is huge (call center) and employees aren't really monitored. And from what I have heard, call centers are a revolving door for employees coming/going, so they never called me, assuming I probably just quit. So the next day, I called in apologizing for not calling the previous day, and said I had an emergency that made me unable to call. I said I would be in today for my shift. And today, I feel like I've made a huge mistake..I didn't go again today and didn't call. The anxiety I had was horrible. The problem is that I need a full time job to afford my place. I have enough savings to live off for a while, and I plan to actively look for a new job. I just feel so stupid and guilty for making the mistake of leaving a job without having a new one lined up and for not handling my anxiety better. I have never done this at any previous jobs. I have always had a great work ethic and enjoyed going to work. But something happened with this one. Now I am really just dealing with feeling guilty/stupid for not calling and not showing up. I want to find a new job and I need to find one soon. So now I will be stressing about finances. I know this was a bad decision but if anyone has any advice and input it would greatly help.

So what you need to do is damage control because this place is going to give you a negative reference at this point. Since it's only 2 months you can still say it wasn't a good fit and the negative reference, after only 2 months won't mean as much. But I'd quit tomorrow.

Lotus, I honestly think that a call centre would be the worst place ever for someone who has anxiety. Indeed IMO and even without anxiety, a call centre to me would be hell on earth.

So, Lotus, best you can do is start the job hunt as quickly as possible (and not for another call centre job). Are there employment/recruitment agencies you can approach?

After two no-call no-shows, this jobs is almost certainly done, but it sounds like you're aware of that. As Batya said, they will mostly serve as a negative reference should you put them on your resume. In your shoes, I'd keep the job off as a two-month gap is a lot easier to explain than getting terminated for consecutive unplanned and unannounced absences.

Do some serious reflection. Having worked in a couple different call centers, I can attest they can either be the worst job or among the most chill of them. I worked selling timeshares to folks in the UK. Lasted two days. Told them I was done and they handed me a check for the 16 hours worked. The other was actually pretty decent. They were big on numbers and productivity, but it was by no means a hostile or unfair environment. I'd do some serious reflection and gauge whether you've got this anxiety from this particular job, or from simply being out of school and officially being a 40-hour a week cog in the wheel. The last thing anyone wants is for you to go from full-time job to full-time job and giving yourself excess allowance due to your savings.

Don't know where you're from, but if you're US, if you're on your mother's insurance plan (assuming she has one), it may be worth it to see if you can check with a therapist regarding your anxiety. Personally, my hunch is that it's a job you really don't like and you know you've got the financial cushion to live without it at least for a little while. I'd be more confident in it being a diagnosis if you were quitting jobs with nothing left in reserve. But it's always good to explore your options.

Archived