As you grow as a person, 20s for eg, is it really young?

Cyrus8088

Personally, I wouldn't call 20s young

I get that many people on this site are in their 30s or maybe even 40s so they see 20s as young, sure I get that logic, they're older, probably more wiser but just pinning something as 20s is young is a highly personal opinion and relates to you as what you think 20s are as a individual

So I'm not having anymore problems, just want to have a reasonable discussion about this matter

Is it really?

Here are my factual points:

Many people die in their late 20s more compared to the late teenage years

, young people are actually 10s to 15, but soon this whole thing was watered down to 18 years, soon 18 was considered young (due to colleges and universities treating it as so)

Now people in their 20s are young? I saw a post on this webpage which even said 29 is a young age where you "discover" yourself

Honestly, I highly disagree but see what they mean

Back in the medieval times, life expectancy was 31.3 of age, due to the hostile times and the lack of medical advances

So using common sense, it would be that the actual average human who isn't advanced in technology with all these life expanding medication but still a healthy lifestyle (people in the medieval times spent more time standing and walking than we do today) would be 30-50 ((minus the hostile nature of the medieval times))

So point is, I don't see how people can consider people after 20s or even late 20s, young? ?

if anything, the body starts to change drastically over the span of these years

It's even evident in your skin as it shows aging (so are middle aged people, really middle aged??)

I don't think so, the medicine has a huge impact on this, but scientifically there is nothing wrong with any of this, humans are simply mentally evolving but not as fast physically evolving

Our brains evolve much faster, the problem is actually how we're labeling this

If you threw average human on a island with nothing except a survival manual, their life expectancy would actually go down to their natural human state, their actual life expectancy

If I want to describe the actual life expectancy and what is actually considered that, it will be a long post about nature, humans and technology

All things considered, these are the reasons why I don't personally agree that 20s or late 20s is young, and your body certainly doesn't either

Please, enlighten me with your thoughts

There are plenty of mature people in their 20s and plenty of immature people in their 60s.

I'm 32, which I still think of as young. When I look at my early 20s I often think of how much, I personally, have grown and matured. When I tell someone they are young... I often think what I mean is "you are probably (hopefully!) still changing and growing a lot".

When someone mentioned that guy on the other thread was young at 29 it was trying to comfort him that he still had a lot of time to find a life mate. Young isn't a insult, it's a perspective.

I would say 20's is young in comparison to my age. I am 50. I remember my self in my 20's... it was young. My son will be 20 this year . It is not an insult but it is far younger than I am . Just factual numbers. Plus I have waaaaaaaay more life experience at 50 than say 25.

We've all been 20 and 20 something, so I think I know what young means lol.

People are living now into their 90s or more, so 20 is very young nowadays. Back maybe in the years 1940s, 1950s etc. 20 was not considered so young, in general people married very early then.

As Rose pointed out there are mature and immature people at all ages, but certainly one's outlook at 21 is different from that at 31 and so on.

We've all been 20 and 20 something, so I think I know what young means lol.

People are living now into their 90s or more, so 20 is very young nowadays. Back maybe in the years 1940s, 1950s etc. 20 was not considered so young, in general people married very early then.

As Rose pointed out there are mature and immature people at all ages, but certainly one's outlook at 21 is different from that at 31 and so on.

Exactly, your outlook on life is different and the time you have to live your life is different. My life is more than half over no matter which way you slice it. So that impacts what I am going to do at this point in life.

I grew up very quickly in my late teens and through my 20's with a lot of heavy experiences and responsibility. Though I wouldn't trade the experiences I've had, there are some things that I missed out on. I'll tell you what... I'll trade my 48 for your 20 something. 😄 Enjoy your youth and don't take it for granted.

I'll agree with other comments on life expectancy these days as opposed to in the past. Twenty is young though it doesn't necessarily mean less mature.

Back in the medieval times, life expectancy was 31.3 of age, due to the hostile times and the lack of medical advances

In medieval times, the average twenty year old had lived 20 of 31.1 years, or 64.3% of her life. A medieval twenty year old only had about a third of her life ahead of her.

These days, average life expectancy is 78.9 years. An average twenty year old in 2017 has lived only 20 of 78.9 years, or 25% of her life. She has almost 75% of her life ahead of her.

So, in terms of life expectancy and life experience, 20 is younger now than it was in medieval times.

Another difference is responsibility level. The responsibility level of a 20-year old in medieval times was higher than it is now, at least in American culture. Unless they were royalty, children in medieval times held jobs, and started to have children and raise families in their teens and sometimes even preteens. These days, the average twenty year old does not face life and death choices on a daily basis. Choices faced by today's average twenty year old are more along the lines of, what do I want for dinner, am I going to go to class tonight, does my butt look big in these pants, etc.

Life in Medieval times has no bearing on this - people grew up faster out of necessity. Today's 22 year old is living in their parents' basement. They are not married with several children, foraging for food and defending their small village. In your 20s most people are just figuring out what they want to do for a career and are just getting their feet wet in life. Heck, my grandfather had already been in the military, had a new bride, a baby on the way and was working full time at that age. And my cousin is 35 and still hasn't launched. So let's not discount people in their 30s and 40s and 50s on this sight and have the experience and wisdom to see that in their 20s they did not have the life experience or the vantage point that they do now and consider the 20s "young".

So....what is the underlying motive? are you upset that you are being referred to as "young" -- what prompted the question?

Life in Medieval times has no bearing on this - people grew up faster out of necessity. Today's 22 year old is living in their parents' basement. They are not married with several children, foraging for food and defending their small village. In your 20s most people are just figuring out what they want to do for a career and are just getting their feet wet in life. Heck, my grandfather had already been in the military, had a new bride, a baby on the way and was working full time at that age. And my cousin is 35 and still hasn't launched. So let's not discount people in their 30s and 40s and 50s on this sight and have the experience and wisdom to see that in their 20s they did not have the life experience or the vantage point that they do now and consider the 20s "young".

So....what is the underlying motive? are you upset that you are being referred to as "young" -- what prompted the question?

My parents were parents at 20 years old. Even 50 years ago people were out of the nest a whole hell of a lot faster now . Even in my day people were out a whole hell of a lot faster . You didn't hang around in your parent's house for free getting 5 degrees.

I can see where you are coming from but it is inevitable that as the older you are, you have more life experiences and hence more maturity (more likely atleast)

But that still doesn't justify how 20s or late 20s is young

If in the likely future, people are 150 years old, would you call a 60 year old citizen young?

It is natural for you to be more mature as you grow, it's your brain developing more and more knowledge (aside from it forgetting and aging)

That's still not a way to say that 20s are young

Pretend I'm living in the far future 30xx and I use this logic and say "60s isn't old, I used to be a lot more immature compared to how old I am now, which is 150"

That's watering down this conception even more

Just like how it's right now

I try not to focus too much on the number. To me 20s is young in certain ways. I am 50 and the mom of a young child -my only child. I desperately wanted a child in my early 20s but I chose not to marry my fiancee at that time or have a child on my own. Now that I'm a mom I realize that I am a much better parent than had I become a parent in my early 20s. And that's just me personally -how I matured and mellowed, how I don't mind the sacrifices or don't see them as sacrifices because of the lifestyle I was able to have without the responsibilities of marriage and parenting. On the other hand one of my nieces is a married 21 year old with a toddler and one on the way. She nannied for me summers when she was a teenager and I found her very mature for her age, and very mature now. But she doesn't want to travel or get a college degree, etc so her choices are far different from mine. That's why to some extent it's just a number.

In factual numbers it is young. Do I roll up to my 20 year old son and say hey old timer?

No, no you're missing the point

Also of course you wouldn't say that, but is it really alright to consider him young?

it wouldn't make sense to call your middle aged son young either just because you two are decades apart

Point is, removing all the maturity cycles (because that will go on forever and ever), removing all your advanced 21st century medicine, a human in a natural environment, what would actually be considered young if this was the situation? its really skewing the way society is changing all these very heavy and set in stone facts due to medicine and technology saying otherwise, get me?

No, no you're missing the point

Also of course you wouldn't say that, but is it really alright to consider him young?

it wouldn't make sense to call your middle aged son young either just because you two are decades apart

Point is, removing all the maturity cycles (because that will go on forever and ever), removing all your advanced 21st century medicine, a human in a natural environment, what would actually be considered young if this was the situation? its really skewing the way society is changing all these very heavy and set in stone facts due to medicine and technology saying otherwise, get me?

I get you but we live in this century not 500 years ago . 500 years ago does not translate to today . Even 50 years ago doesn't translate to today .

And when my son is middle aged I will probably be dead. Now my mom just turned 71 and I'm 50 . She still calls me young. However my in-laws are in their mid-80s . I consider once you hit your 80s-you're old. So you are 59 years younger than my father-in-law . That is A LOT of age difference . So yeah that's young . Now understand that young doesn't necessarily correlate to immature . You just haven't chronologically been around that long .

I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is. Why does it bother you so much that some people (namely, older people) think of people in their 20s as "young"? Do you feel judged by this, somehow? Is this having an impact on your life somehow? Please explain.

And when my son is middle aged I will probably be dead. Now my mom just turned 71 and I'm 50 . She still calls me young. However my in-laws are in their mid-80s . I consider once you hit your 80s-you're old. So you are 59 years younger than my father-in-law . That is A LOT of age difference . So yeah that's young . Now understand that young doesn't necessarily correlate to immature . You just haven't chronologically been around that long .

Same situation and age difference here except that in the last 4 years we lost 3 of the 4 grandparents because they are all in their 80s. Many grandparents of young kids I know are my age or just a bit older.

I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is. Why does it bother you so much that some people (namely, older people) think of people in their 20s as "young"? Do you feel judged by this, somehow? Is this having an impact on your life somehow? Please explain.

Agreed. Can't figure out what the point of the thread is either.

As for the question - yes, I think 20 is really young.

Agreed. Can't figure out what the point of the thread is either.

As for the question - yes, I think 20 is really young.

Yes and that's not a negative nor does it mean the person is immature. My 8 year old is really young and comes out with very insightful observations. Then screams because I hid some avocado in his sandwich. Just like 50 year old adults might.

Mine was in her 70s and the rest of the grandparents of my son were 70s/80s. No babysitting!

My mom was 20 when she had me though. If I had my son when she had me she would have been a 40 year old grandma but I was 30 when I had him. My son's other grandparents were about 65 when he was born. My mom's mom was 60 when I was born but she was 40 when she had my mom.

In your twenties, your brain and musculature is still growing. Strictly biologically speaking, twenties is young.

Absolutely, my son is starting to gain his adult size right now. He is going to be far bigger than his dad. He has about 3 or so inches on his dad and I think he will be a bigger person. He was tiny tiny as a kid.

Archived