What to do now

Okay a quick run down on what has happened so far . Applied for a job at a call center , spent a month and a half exactly at training and passes all the tests except the last one , now they're transferring me to a different department in the same account . The thing is , they had me sign a resignation so that I can rejoin with a new batch of training in the sales department . Now the original deal was : I get half the salary for the first 2 months (which have already passed according to the date I joined in) ,and then I get the rest later in the third month . Technically this is my third month , but because I'm rejoining with a different department , they won't give me the other half of the salary that I was supposed to get if I remained in the same department . I might let this one slide since I technically only actually worked as a nesting agent for half of the training period . However now they're saying I'll go 30 days unpaid including the 2 weeks of nesting (which is actual log in and receiving calls) because this is the rejoining policy since I didn't hit the operations in the original department . I don't currently have any other job opportunities in front of me that I can apply to , so I don't know if I should suck it up and accept this deal or just start looking for a new job with a different employer.

This is supposed to be a multinational call center company that is headquartered in France . I live in Cairo , Egypt . I'm not really sure if I should take any legal actions , but even if I did , I don't think it will lead to anything or will be worth the hassle and all the costs . Law in Egypt is quite effed up and people with more power can easily buy or manipulate it however they like .

Bottom line is that you didn't pass the last test. It is actually nice of them to move you into a different department and give you another opportunity at a job instead of just pushing you out the door as most companies would do immediately upon your failure. So, focus and do your best to actually secure the new position. Of course, in the meantime, it doesn't hurt for you to keep looking for better opportunities. If you find one, you can always leave your current situation.

Sounds like something they do to get free work out of vulnerable people. I'd skip that and start applying at temp agencies, as I suggested earlier. This will land you into PAYING jobs with opportunities to apply for better positions from within.

Any work that isn't paid--isn't paid. What's in that for you?

Well I did pass the quality assurance tests while nesting and receiving real calls , so that's enough reason for them to not terminate me entirely (actually I'd say it makes zero sense to take the score of a fake simulation call over the scores of the real calls). Plus even if I didn't, that last test I failed was only related to this specific department in this specific account, I'm still officially eligible to be transferred to another department or a different account entirely, also consider the fact that in Egypt , call centers like these are in dire need for people all the time and they say that openly to employees (heck they got pretty tempting awards to whoever succeeds in bringing in a certain amount of people to the company), so by all means it wasn't really that generous of them ; it was the regular procedure according to their rules , plus I already proved I had potential during nesting , plus they're dying for more employees and can't afford losing people unless they really have to.

LaHermes, I found it through an advertisement on Facebook, but it's actually quite a huge company . catfeeder , I tried to search for temp agencies in my country , but I couldn't really find anything . Anyway thank you so much for your suggestion

Well I did pass the quality assurance tests while nesting and receiving real calls , so that's enough reason for them to not terminate me entirely (actually I'd say it makes zero sense to take the score of a fake simulation call over the scores of the real calls).

It's just a setup for the excuse they're using not to pay you.

Contact the placement department at your school and let them help you find a real job.

Do whatever you need to do to get out of that place.

now they're transferring me to a different department in the same account . The thing is , they had me sign a resignation so that I can rejoin with a new batch of training in the sales department.

Red flag!! Why would they have you sign a resignation paper if they are transferring you? Resignation is termination, unless the paperwork said you are resigning from the original department, not the company. It's interesting to me that they wrote up the letter and had you sign. Generally, you write your own resignation. I'm thinking that the reason they can get away without paying you is buried in the paper you signed.

I could be wrong.

Either way, never sign anything unless you understand everything in the contract. You have the right to ask questions. You have the right to take a day or two to review the paper, and to have a lawyer look at it if you choose. People may pressure you to sign, but they can't force you to. This goes for ANY contract, whether for employment, or purchasing something, or anything.

I hope it works out for you. Sounds to me like you just want to work at a decent company for a reasonable salary. I'd hire you.

Hell_On_Heels you're right about this resignation thing . I really should've known better that it makes zero sense to have me sign a resignation when I got a word from the supervisor of the account himself that I'll be transferred to a different department and won't be terminated. The two things that are kinda motivating me to stick with those people is that first: I still don't have any other opportunities available in front of me , and even though their policies are corrupt at their core , they still give better salaries , bonuses and overtime packages than most other employers . The other thing is that the training will be six weeks that are divided into four weeks of sessions and two weeks of nesting , so according their 30 days unpaid policy , I won't be paid for the first four weeks only that are just sessions , but I'll be able to get paid for the nesting period , so it kinda makes it easier to digest I guess . I won't stop searching for other better opportunities in the meantime though , but I'll just have to stick around till I'm sure I've got somewhere better to run away to .

they still give better salaries , bonuses and overtime packages than most other employers .

No, they only claim to. You haven't seen any of it, and you won't. Stop wasting your time, and go work with an employment agency or your college to find 'real' work.

Archived