Open Club  ·  86 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Plumber problem: what's fair?

IAmFCA

Plumber #1 installs recent-model commode on a flange that is too high. Two years pass.

Plumber #2 reinstalls commode, cutting down (?) the flange. Several days pass. Nobody uses the toilet but maybe two or three times.

Tonight i notice the base is broken. Where he screwed it down created a flexion point and the back corners have sheared off.

Now what.

It's possible that he can reassemble it using an epoxy. However, if that looks like sh*t, I think you can easily angle for a new toilet. If someone breaks something that you own, they have an obligation to "make you whole." So, you can't level up, but you can get an as-equal replacement.

It's possible that he can reassemble it using an epoxy. However, if that looks like sh*t, I think you can easily angle for a new toilet. If someone breaks something that you own, they have an obligation to "make you whole." So, you can't level up, but you can get an as-equal replacement.

Thank you. Needed that.

Don't use or accept glue as a remedy. If it did work (which it won't), it would only add to the confusion later when it fails.

A properly installed flange will be flush with the floor.

That way the toilet's weight rests on the floor.

The flange is then snugged to the toilet with two cheap bolts.

The only purpose of the bolts are to hold flange, wax gasket (seal), and toilet together.

The flange is nothing more the a connector that is either soldered/glued onto the end of a metal/PVC pipe.

The pipe length, when initially cut and installed is where the problem begins and ends.

If cut too short, a extended flange will have to be installed to reach it.

If cut too long, it MUST be cut down, otherwise the toilet weight will rest on the pipe!

This will put undue pressure on the BRITTLE toilet and break it.

Most crappy plumbers knows this, and instead of taking the time to remove the flange, cut down the pipe, they jam shims or plaster under the toilet.

Yours didn't even do that!

So, he's a crappy plumber x 2.

Don't use or accept glue as a remedy. If it did work (which it won't), it would only add to the confusion later when it fails.

A properly installed flange will be flush with the floor.

That way the toilet's weight rests on the floor.

The flange is then snugged to the toilet with two cheap bolts.

The only purpose of the bolts are to hold flange, wax gasket (seal), and toilet together.

The flange is nothing more the a connector that is either soldered/glued onto the end of a metal/PVC pipe.

The pipe length, when initially cut and installed is where the problem begins and ends.

If cut too short, a extended flange will have to be installed to reach it.

If cut too long, it MUST be cut down, otherwise the toilet weight will rest on the pipe!

This will put undue pressure on the BRITTLE toilet and break it.

Most crappy plumbers knows this, and instead of taking the time to remove the flange, cut down the pipe, they jam shims or plaster under the toilet.

Yours didn't even do that!

So, he's a crappy plumber x 2.

Thank you thank you.

I've sent my email with photos attached, taking the polite approach for now. Its a family owned business with a good rep. Too bad this job will turn into a loss for them.

They'll be fine! It's just a toilet. Don't feel bad. You didn't pay to have your sh*tter look like sh*t!

Have you tried calling?

Stay on them. Don't be rude, but be firm. Take pictures. Send a certified letter if you must.

This is a popular plumber oft hired by my neighbors. I was hoping for better. I sent pictures with my initial email -- that is why I used email. I will call and be firm tomorrow. I appreciate your encouragement. Thank you.

Only talk to the owner.

Tell him he needs to make this right.

That you are living without a toilet and need to know what he is going to do about it.

Stay calm and listen carefully to his answer.

Never threaten!

Give him reasonable time to help you. He may choose not to, but you need to hear him say that.

Only talk to the owner.

Tell him he needs to make this right.

That you are living without a toilet and need to know what he is going to do about it.

Stay calm and listen carefully to his answer.

Never threaten!

Give him reasonable time to help you. He may choose not to, but you need to hear him say that.

Got it. Thank you.

Archived