I hate my parents for having a lot of kids

It is not unusual to reach adulthood and have different values than your parents. That's fine. Use that intense reaction of yours as energy to move forward toward the future you want for your self. I don't understand hating other for their choices, but it does seem that in the decade of the 20's there is often blame toward parents. Later, maybe much much later in life, you may gain a different perspective without having to adopt all of their values or life choices. You have survived your childhood, so congratulations for that.

One's perspective changes too when you have your own kids. You learn to appreciate your parents in whole new ways you never thought possible . And for those who don't want children you learn a new perspective of your parents when you're an adult looking after yourself . And you learn a whole new appreciation when you don't have them anymore .

Well, I did some reflecting and I'm glad I made this thread and got some tough advice. There is literally no one I can talk to about this except maybe the counselor at my school who I'm planning to see for a host of other reasons as well. While I'm still firmly unconvinced about marrying for love and having kids in the future, I'm more forgiving now of my parents. I've been searching for part-time work so I won't have to ask for allowance and exorbitant amounts of money I need to buy my law books. Thank you all for the responses (although some were admittedly too snarky for my liking.)

Your life path may very well be extremely different from your parents and that's a-okay. All you can do is exactly what you're doing: moving on with your own life and forming your own path. Your parents life and choices don't have to reflect on you or influence you. That's what is nice about being an adult. So good on you!

Well, I did some reflecting and I'm glad I made this thread and got some tough advice. There is literally no one I can talk to about this except maybe the counselor at my school who I'm planning to see for a host of other reasons as well. While I'm still firmly unconvinced about marrying for love and having kids in the future, I'm more forgiving now of my parents. I've been searching for part-time work so I won't have to ask for allowance and exorbitant amounts of money I need to buy my law books. Thank you all for the responses (although some were admittedly too snarky for my liking.)

That will be a weight off your shoulders. It may bring it's own challenges (following your own path), but they will be YOURS, and there's something empowering about that.

Archived