please help. PANIC.

You said you did a kickboxing routine and are ambidextrous? How intense was it? Also are you standing southpaw or orthodox?

When boxing I typically have right lead. If i switch to left lead, my right leg, mainly calf and hamstring, will get overworked in back. Causes a pain a lot like you are describing. Mines from elongating my right leg in back and it staying overextended for too long. Kind of like hyperextension.

orthodox. i ducked a lot to switch (so basically...more squats lol) and start with the opposite leg, but i did somehow end up un-coordinated and mixed it up every now and then. i mix up left and right a lot, generally. i try to not hyperextend, but who knows-- i did practice shifting my weight from foot to foot smoothly, maybe i hyperextended there. it didn't feel very difficult, but dunno, it may have been intense. i honestly don't know anymore. i get the happy brain chemistry high when i'm moving. i could not have felt the intensity at the time maybe? since the other leg is feeling it a little too today, i'm thinking the legwork was the culprit too.
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
whaddup fam, i have plenty news and they are mixed.

it's LONG, so

TL, DR: could be muscles, tendons, strain, my foot, borrelia, a food intolerance, or...bloody clot. will check foot, blood, inflammation, and do a doppler.

it actually wasn't my own gp but another one, and this one wasn't dismissive in the least (mental note: i may want to transfer). actually had a very good look, and asked lots and lots of questions, listened, answered, and explained lots, and comprehensively.

good news first. there could be a bunch of things going on that aren't that horrible.

a)muscles and tendons. as i was getting ready to leave, i noticed the entire back of my leg (that felt a bit sore yesterday), felt kind of stiff today. the left leg felt similar, but it was very very mild. i think i just told ITIC yesterday i'm noticing that i'm getting muscles in my thighs, which i was wasn't expecting. i always had spider legs, even when i worked out lots. however, i was only noticing the front of my thighs. quoting Jibs, the workout wonderwoman, "but i don't see stuff that's in the back. who knows what's really going on there?". well, he said the muscles in the back of my thigh are a little big for someone who hasn't been working out that long, and who doesn't have such muscle elsewhere. when i first started working out, those did burn the most. i looked and, "a little big?"- you guys, they're like...like decent camel humps. right above that, i have major flab. but these particular muscles, well, at least on spider legs they look...big. the RIGHT one is bigger. noticeably and palpably bigger. it is also the tendon muscle. so as i built a big muscle, it tugged on the hamstring. i didn't feel it much before, as i'm very flexible, but apparently that frequently happens. the bigger the muscle, the more you're "shortening" the hamstring, or something like that. apparently, it is also why the average male is less flexible than the average female. he says it doesn't appear torn, but it could just be overstrained, and to stretch that leg double. i also noticed on my way out this morning both my legs were feeling kinda puffy. because i have not weighed and measured myself since...i have no idea when i last did that, we haven't much to compare my weight with (the last weight charted is old and very low, from when i was still sick) so we can't be sure i'm retaining lots of water, but as you guys said, it would be normal in this case.

b) borrelia is nasty. when i had my second round of treatment, we knew that we hadn't eradicated all of it. it is practically impossible, because of the biofilm and cystic forms. we aimed to just keep the bacterial count as low as possible, since my immune system could handle a lowkey infection. some ppl require three rounds. i was entirely symptom free lately, so we thought that was still all good. there isn't actually a consensus on the proper treatment for neuroborreliosis. it's a hugely controversial issue.

however, i've been inflamed badly for many years. i actually developed numerous intolerances as a response to that, and it took patience to train my body with minimal exposure, over long periods of time, to not overreact to things with inflammation. we are talking mostly food intolerances. my antibodies to many, many foods were like eight times higher than normal then. i had been able to reintroduce stuff into my diet gradually, as long as i keep the very processed stuff to a minimum i can eat normally, and then some. when i cheated, quite often these past couple of years, it wasn't much of a problem. ABs were much lower after a few years, some were normal.

there has been an item i haven't considered. fecking instant mocchacinos. i remember those used to cause inflammation sooner than most other foods. that was so long ago i forgot about it. i wasn't having them, and forgot why i wasn't having them in fact, since i like the taste. so i figured i'm due a tiny cheat item, and bought me some.... instant coconut white chocolate mocchacino. it was right. there. staring at me. i was like that's right, those are junk, yummy junk. so i had a mug yesterday, after the workout, with my oatmeal. if i'm still intolerant to it, it may have caused the swelling. it should also go down pretty soon if that's the cause of it.

i won't be having any more of that stuff, of course, or anything else that processed. just higher inflammation levels alone could have caused it, even without the intolerance. so we will check those too.

c) i asked about the foot. the foot is an interesting foot. he had me stand on what looked like a big digital inkpad to see how my weight is distributed. i remember we had something similar done yearly when i danced, because the shoes are brutal, especially on still growing kids. my arches were always high. this time, my entire right foot is flat on the ground. i was told in february the foot wouldn't be quite the same when healed, but that it shouldn't be too bad.

i knew it was flat, i feel it a little when i walk. just not that flat. i will see an ortho for that. because i plan to stay active for a long time, i want to see if there's exercises or similar i can do to help this foot. it's apparently more than possible my leg would've had to adjust to the new anatomy. maybe that's why some of the muscles there are bigger, and it feels more overworked.

now the worse part:

d) but there's another problem with the foot. i forgot it about earlier, it seemed so irrelevant. at the top of my foot, where one would tie their sneakers, there is a patch of dry discolored skin. it has just been this patch. i don't remember when it first appeared. maybe post injury, maybe before. it doesn't go away with extra emollients. doc noticed there's a smaller patch under this one, and one just next to my ankle. when he poked it, it tingled, like i had a bit of electricity running through my foot. sometimes a compressed nerve will do that- and could account for some other symptoms. cellulitis and other stuff could cause it too. so we'll test for that as well. the ortho may order a nerve conduction test, or redirect me to a phlebotomist if the nerves are fine.

the discoloration though, and dryness, might also point poor circulation because there could have been some clotting there during the recovery period. sometimes a bit of it may break of and travel, although sometimes the clot is quite far from the swelling. (now that scares me. clotting....travelling...new trigger words)

e) he is inclined to think it might be several things, a clotting issue included. problems can go unnoticed, until there's significant strain. the outer calf does look suspiciously like it's a clot problem to him, it is especially typical on the outer upper calf, and the reddish patch of skin too. it might not be, but we will check. i will do labwork first thing tomorrow morning, and i have a referral for a doppler. the nasty bit is the doppler waiting list is 80- 180 days, 80 for the more "urgent" cases. that's insurance covered. but. i just googled the prices. i can handle the price of this. i will check whether i can do this in private practice sooner. if it gets much worse, i need to see a doctor right away though.

also, not all clots are very dangerous, maybe it's not a deep clot.

we checked my bp and did a spirometry test, both good. will check lipids tomorrow too. i will skip the turmeric and similar for now, since it's a blood thinner and i want the lab results to be objective.

I am so glad that you went, and had a supportive experience. AS IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE.! It sounds like there is a lot of stuff going on. How much would the Dopplar be out of pocket?

contrary to my expectations, especially when clots are suspected, one needs to keep exercising, so i'm good on that front. i will simply have to adjust the workouts so that any leg exercises are low impact, not overdo it, and otherwise keep the leg elevated as much as possible, maybe bandage it for compression.

well. he sure wasn't an arse about it, which is refreshing. i can't believe he is actually checking what's happening. i used to just get sent home all the frickin time, so i just started avoiding docs. the whole it's in your head deal was starting to feel patronizing and humiliating. i had ptsd, i'm not dumb. i didn't want to hear it any more.

i take relief in the fact there's lots of explanations that are all possible. i just don't know how i feel about the fact he said the calf issue is a standard presentation with clots. will have to wait and see. i'll be calling private practices today, to check waiting lines. i can't let myself believe it could be that just now.

hearing about neuropathy made me fear borrelia is at it again. my legs and arms "fall asleep" often lately. and all the thinking and talk about years of inflammation, i couldn't help the intrusive thought isn't that bad for the valve. i know i could really go down a spiral of catastrophic thoughts with this, so for now, i'll go with "it's the workout",

and hey, on the bright side, i'm one step closer to being ThunderThighsCoast. there's a first for...many things apparently.

thanks all for confirming it justifies a visit to the doc's, i'm so glad i had it checked out. kinda worried. but at least i will know, and it will be monitored, whatever it is.

i'm free until night shift, so i'll try to relax. i don't even know how the leg feels right now, i feel like i'm focusing on it so much i'm starting to feel things that aren't there, so i'll do my best to set the matter aside.

imagine if it all turns out, of all the things, to have been just the STUPID MOCCHACINO.

C. It sounds like you need to strengthen the posterior tibial tendon for the flat foot. I have the same problem. Had tendon replacement last year. SUCKED!!! That damn foot took 1.5 years out of my life (crutches, cam boot, scooter, cam boot and crutches, again.

Get to a PT to learn how to strengthen. Get orthotics for support. My surgeon suggested the kind from the drug store. Believe it or not.

holly, for real?!! is yours improving? i had no clue it gets that bad!!

thank you, i will ask about that for sure!

I still have some issues. I wear sneakers, a lot, which I hate. The tendon had snapped, and was completely destroyed.

Now, the other foot is giving me problems. Not sure if it is tendon, as X ray didn't show. Need MRI. I picked up crutches, as I do not want to be stuck at home, plus I have a trip in two weeks. I hate my feet!!!!!!!!!!

oh god that sounds awful holls, i'm so sorry!

i'm grateful to have normal mobility, thinking about that.

Thanks. Like you, I am very active. Thank God, for my exercise bike, when the foot is acting up.

Mainly, stay positive! i do, even when things are concerning and frustrating. Also, stay on top of these docs, and be knowledgeable.

jibralta! yup, bet that's it! i slept all day, it seems to have helped a lot.

Great news!! Ironically, when I had a stroke 8 years ago I had no idea it was happening, but when I thought I had a clot (I didn't) I imagined all sorts of issues. Go figure. What was really bad was the ultrasound technician was making all these scary faces while he was looking at the screen so I assumed something was very wrong.

Again, glad you are feeling better!

Wow, I would never associate abdominal pains with a stroke!

Oy, I'm going to get hypochondria if I keep reading!!

yup, some said it was just a very weird sick to the stomach feeling.

i got so many thoughts hearing doc speak of all the stuff it could be. one hand, it was "see, that's a bunch of things that aren't clots", on the other hand "that's a bunch of things i can think will get out of hand if i fall down the anxiety rabbit hole" lol.

Been to the lab this morning, i'll get a call Monday if anything is wrong.

Batya I had no idea I heard women often get abdominal symptoms that they don't associate with a stroke.

I fully recovered and quickly and it never happened again. It presented as speech aphasia, weakness in one side, numbness in my face and arm and dizziness. No stomach issues. Problem was I'd just woken up for a nap, given birth 12 days earlier and had a c-section scar for which I was taking antibiotics that could cause numbness. And just had a baby-related ceremony with 40 people there. So I thought it was sleep deprivation/drug side effects./stress. My husband suspected differently and was able to convince me to leave our newborn and go to the ER after consulting with his doctor friend. Thank goodness (although even then it wasn't diagnosed till an MRI three days later -the CAT scan didn't show it).

I fully recovered and quickly and it never happened again. It presented as speech aphasia, weakness in one side, numbness in my face and arm and dizziness. No stomach issues. Problem was I'd just woken up for a nap, given birth 12 days earlier and had a c-section scar for which I was taking antibiotics that could cause numbness. And just had a baby-related ceremony with 40 people there. So I thought it was sleep deprivation/drug side effects./stress. My husband suspected differently and was able to convince me to leave our newborn and go to the ER after consulting with his doctor friend. Thank goodness (although even then it wasn't diagnosed till an MRI three days later -the CAT scan didn't show it).

wow. thank you for sharing that. i can see how one would ascribe those symptoms to other factors. i'm so glad you were taken to the ER and recovered well!

wow. thank you for sharing that. i can see how one would ascribe those symptoms to other factors. i'm so glad you were taken to the ER and recovered well!

Yes although the ER really did nothing because it was in my neck and not my brain. Totally not criticizing the ER -they did what they could do, and my symptoms had subsided. Luckily strokes and blood clots are rare and I am glad you're feeling better.

Yes although the ER really did nothing because it was in my neck and not my brain. Totally not criticizing the ER -they did what they could do, and my symptoms had subsided. Luckily strokes and blood clots are rare and I am glad you're feeling better.

if i may ask, did they suggest you do an MRI later, or your gp, or did you decide to do that because of the suspicion? and your neck felt ok? was there a horrible EKG at the ER or anything else or did it just look like you were fine for the time being?

i did upper body strength training today and kept the warmups low impact to give the ole legs a rest. calf is still the same. feel good, no problems with anything. no bad thoughts or anxiety either.

if i may ask, did they suggest you do an MRI later, or your gp, or did you decide to do that because of the suspicion? and your neck felt ok? was there a horrible EKG at the ER or anything else or did it just look like you were fine for the time being?

i did upper body strength training today and kept the warmups low impact to give the ole legs a rest. calf is still the same. feel good, no problems with anything. no bad thoughts or anxiety either.

I'm sure the MRI was suggested. And I'm pretty sure an EKG was taken and was normal. It was a carotid artery in my neck and no problem whatsoever with my neck. At the end of the day the pregnancy was blamed (also because I was pregnant in my early 40s when strokes are more likely to happen -I was very healthy, no history that would have increased risk of stroke). Because it was not in my brain, the cat scan was clear. I guess they couldn't do an MRI that night and I was stable??

I'm really glad you're not anxious. I tend towards hypochondria and anxieties about illness. I totally understand how that feels and it sucks to feel that way. Also I find I have to be careful who I confide in -even my husband who cares of course might make it worse even by completely dismissing it - it's hard to get the right balance.

that was a proper silent threat then. always imagined an ekg would show it.

i'm calm so far, i just want to be aware of serious things that may present as harmless things. since a timely intervention is literally life-saving.

indeed, a matter of balance.

that was a proper silent threat then. always imagined an ekg would show it.

i'm calm so far, i just want to be aware of serious things that may present as harmless things. since a timely intervention is literally life-saving.

indeed, a matter of balance.

Yes- an ekg shows heart issues but my heart had no issues during the stroke. I did have a worrisome ekg a few years ago which was thought to be nothing but because of my stroke I had to do a follow up. And it was nothing. Took my first stress test too which wasn't easy!

I know you know but try not to focus too closely on all your twinges/symptoms ,etc. One time about 2 years ago my husband and son were both sick and 99% of the time I never get what my son has even though he's all over me. I started feeling sick and canceled my hair salon appointment. Turned out to be PMS lol. Same thing happened recently -I had vertigo/dizziness and didn't realize it was PMS (as I get older my PMS symptoms are different as is my cycle so it catches me off guard pretty often) . It's hard in the moment to think clearly about other causes -I get it!

LOL! i'm familiar with that! I don't get pms that bad these days but there were times it totally made me wonder whether i was...dying. strange how i always forgot to check the calendar. i would have those "oooohhhh. riiiiighhttt." moments the next morning.

LOL! i'm familiar with that! I don't get pms that bad these days but there were times it totally made me wonder whether i was...dying. strange how i always forgot to check the calendar. i would have those "oooohhhh. riiiiighhttt." moments the next morning.

Exactly. But in the one case I ended up with graying roots for awhile lol. One thing that has helped is having a young child -I can see he already has tendencies towards getting anxious about illness/germs so I do my best to keep things chill and "no biggie". Like, even though sometimes I want to take his temp multiple times (to see if he can go back to school or sometimes to see if I need to call the doctor) I avoid it because it focuses him too much on his symptoms.

Archived