What is a good idea to do in this situation?

I just got a new job and in the first couple weeks of training. It is pretty difficult for me, I am trying my best and unable to grasp it. Not doing horrible, but not doing excellent. I just got an apartment which is right near my job and is a decent price. I am really worried I won't excel at this job and will get fired and won't be able to afford my apartment. I have money aside to survive if that situation were to occur, in which I would actively look for a new job. I thought everything came at a good time, the job, the apartment, but now I am worried I won't be able to afford it due to me doing bad at my job. What are some options I should look into? I was thinking an emergency loan or something from the bank (worst case scenario)..I can't stay with family because I was living with them but have to move out as they are selling the house.

You're partially psyching out yourself with these fears. Trust me, it happens.

Now, you say you're "not doing horrible, but not doing excellent". Training is such an interesting thing to go through from both sides, because people who excel in the training process often hit the "streets" and realize that they don't have a clue how to put the training into practice. Meanwhile, people who are kind of meh-ing their way through training often end up doing well at the job.

This bit probably won't be popular advice, but remember too that you don't necessarily have to excel at your job. Every job has at least three layers of employees: those who excel, those who utterly fail, and those who show up and do an okay job but are nothing special. Most people fall into that middle category, and if that's where you're at you're probably safe from firing.

If you are, in fact, dismally failing, then definitely look into local welfare benefits and/or start immediately applying to other jobs. Save as much money from your first few paychecks as you can, and only get an emergency loan if you absolutely must.

I do agree with Wombat that there's no use in panicking or to necessarily assume the worst, but I do think you should account for any less than ideal outcomes. At-will employment can be a crapshoot when first starting out. Depends on the extent of the company's immediate needs and how much of an emphasis there is on recordable productivity. I've worked places where total duds were able to make a career and places that kept or canned people based on whether the person "had it" within the first couple weeks. Keep your head up, work hard but smart, do what you need to in your off-time to cool down and decompress for the next day. This could very well be your job for years to come. Who knows?

That said, in your shoes, I'd at least make sure I had a respectable commute to wherever most or a good chunk of the work in the area is. If you can keep that with these new apartment, by all means. If we're talking another hour further from civilization for the sake of being right near it, it may be best to stay a little more centrally located.

Are you making tons of mistakes?

Are you taking notes (Must-Do!)?

Are you able to practice after work, even unpaid to get it down?

If you're sucking, practice some more.

And when you're there, relax, you got this (I think) - if not, always look back at your notes, and ask lots of questions.

Archived