CBT does it work?

Hi all, going back to psychotherapist tomorrow and we have agreed a course of therapy that will end in CBT.

I feel it will benefit me to work privately on CBT worksheets in the meantime to help me out.

For those of you who have had CBT how effective did you find it? Was it life changing or just helped a bit?

Thanks

It helped me a lot. My whole issue was how I was thinking of things -- the negative spin I would put on situations, the way I would frame things in my head, and WHY. CBT taught me to be mindful of those thoughts, to notice when I was having them, to acknowledge that I was doing it, and to re-frame my thoughts to things more positive -- or at least more neutral.

For example, when I was dealing with the end of a difficult relationship, I would think things like, "My ex found someone he likes better than me. I must not be a as good/attractive/special as she is" or "My ex threw me away like garbage." CBT not only helped me with WHY I was thinking these things, but it helped me to catch myself doing it and stop myself and re-frame my thoughts to things like, "My ex and I are not compatible. It wasn't a good match. It's better for both of us to move on and find people who are better suited to us" or "He wasn't the right person for me."

A great book that helps with CBT -- Feeling Good by Dr. David Burns. It's kind of a long book, but I found it extremely useful, and I don't really like self-help books all that much.

Never gone through it, but pretty much every client we had in the rehab I worked at for several years was in CBT. Kinda seems like mental health's equivalent of an antibiotics course. Doubt it'd be so popular if it didn't work, and if it isn't good enough on its own, it seems a good way to figure out how to orient more specialized care.

Best of luck with all of it.

Thanks, my life is utterly and totally consumed by fear, everything I do is pretty much motivated by my fear of my own emotions.

I didn't realise just how bad it was until I started using a CBT technique where you challenge that perception by completing the action you're afraid will hurt you. I find I'm using that technique multiple times a day! Over and over.

I was given a worksheet by my therapist that shows all the negative thinking patterns you can have. I have all of them! No wonder I struggle so much.

It helped me a lot. My whole issue was how I was thinking of things -- the negative spin I would put on situations, the way I would frame things in my head, and WHY. CBT taught me to be mindful of those thoughts, to notice when I was having them, to acknowledge that I was doing it, and to re-frame my thoughts to things more positive -- or at least more neutral.

This describes well the process that changed me and my trajectory almost 180 degrees. I did not do CBT but my old track coach (as an adult) made my thinking a priority and I worked at my thinking in an intentional manner. I think this process is an essential life skill. Absolutely devote yourself to it, fearlessly. Letting go of self-limiting thoughts can be scary. If that happens, take the leap. It turns out it is safer on the other side.

CBT has been a fantastic tool for me. I suffer from OCD with occasional intrusive thoughts and also some anxiety. I found that redirecting my thoughts using CBT has been very effective. For example, I may find myself thinking something awful, something I'd never actually do. So, I tell myself "That is an intrusive thought. It has no basis in reality and I will NOT act upon it or allow it to upset me." And it works, every time.

I also tell myself, when stressing out over something "OK, what is the worst that could happen? Will anyone DIE???" And of course, the answer is "no". Very effective.

I used it at one point to address PTSD from a trauma I'd had earlier in life, it definitely helped. I'm not sure it alone did the trick, because I'd already done a ton of stuff before that. But when my therapist said, "Let's see if this can be of benefit to you," I definitely felt that it was.

Look, anything that can help you is worth a shot. And if something isn't for you, don't get discouraged, keep going. Because the fact is you are seeking answers and help and that is already half the battle won.

Good luck, good healing.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone, I absolutely will devote myself to it fearlessly, because I am desperate to have my life without being afraid of everything that can give me fulfillment!

I literally want to throw myself into it. I am going to, I can't live this way anymore.

Archived