Thoughts, Rants, and Musings

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Back in the summer of 2009, I did a semester abroad in Italy. We started out in Rome for two weeks, stopped off in Naples for a day or two, and then spent the remaining 6 weeks or so in Siena. Ev

In the shower this morning, it occurred to me that it might be useful for me to shift my outlook a little. I did this once before, when I was in my early 20s. I liked sleeping in and avoiding res

Ah, this phrase.... it brings back a memory that still cracks me up to this day. When I was in my late 20s, my ex boyfriend and I were interested in paintball. Our interest started while we were

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, mylolita said:

How long have you been together now!? And, can I ask, is marriage on the cards? 😉😉😉

It'll be nine years in July. As for marriage... we keep saying we will. But somehow we never do. It'll probably go the way of Toby Jones here, "Together 26, married 1..."

I got sidetracked when I posted about the dogs the other day. What I meant to write about was the strange landscape of Italy. Not the postcard images that you see of vineyards and sunflowers (I have a story about that actually!) but the desolate, almost eerie regions that you see along the highways.

We watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood the other night, and I learned that spaghetti westerns were shot in Italy. I never realized that! I always thought they were called "spaghetti westerns" because the directors were Italian, and Ennio Morricone wrote the soundtracks lol.

But, it made perfect sense to me. I remember the Italian landscape from our trip Rome to Naples, and then to Tuscany. It was very arid, not unlike portions of the American west. During that trip, I listened to two songs on loop as I stared out the window of the bus: Passacaglia, by Qntal and I Will Not Forget that I Have Forgotten, by Eluvium. I thought they complimented the landscape perfectly.

image.png.80f34c48651535ffec55b948461372a1.png

Edited by Jibralta
  • Like 2
On 5/1/2021 at 1:39 PM, Jibralta said:

It'll be nine years in July. As for marriage... we keep saying we will. But somehow we never do. It'll probably go the way of Toby Jones here, "Together 26, married 1..."

Jibralta!

Hey that is along time! I know everyone has a different attitude to settling down. Well, what you two are doing is working! How old are you can I ask? My God! I am nosey! 🥲

I always remember reading a post in your journal describing you coming home, tired, and Arnie being the cook he is rustling you up something and having a glass of wine! I totally got this image in my head about it and it gave me the chillest, cosiest vibes! 

If you were to get married, what type of wedding do you think you would want?

Lo x

Edited by mylolita
4 hours ago, mylolita said:

How old are you can I ask?

I am 44. He is a couple months older than me. We grew up in the same town, and have been acquaintances since we were 14 & 15. It's possible we've known each other since we were 5 & 6, however. Turns out we went to the same horseback riding camp--I do recall meeting a kid with his name back then!

I always remember reading a post in your journal describing you coming home, tired, and Arnie being the cook he is rustling you up something and having a glass of wine! I totally got this image in my head about it and it gave me the chillest, cosiest vibes!

Yes, he took on a lot of the domestic side of things back in 2016, when I was taking my licensing exams. What an enormous help that was! Since then, he's continued to manage the majority of the household tasks. It's very nice. And yes, we have a lovely, cozy home.

If you were to get married, what type of wedding do you think you would want?

I'm leaning towards an elopement, just him and me. But I think our respective families would not forgive us.

• Like 1
On 5/2/2021 at 6:08 AM, catfeeder said:

Advice from Grandma, "The problem is not that snakes will cross your path, they will. The problem comes when you ignore danger and pick up the snake to play with it."

You see, this advice would never have deterred me because I've always loved snakes. I spend a huge part of my childhood hunting for snakes and lizards--quite difficult in the more northerly part of the US. I also relentlessly hunted for salamanders and various types of insects. Basically, I left no stone unturned. Literally. Haha.

I can't tell you how many times I've been bitten by snakes. Usually it's been harmless rat snakes or garter snakes, but once I was actually bitten by a rattlesnake. And yes, I was trying to hold it lol.

I was 17 at the time. It was canebrake rattlesnake. One long, needlelike fang went into my pointer finger, the other went into my thumb. So much blood came from those tiny little punctures! But the bleeding stopped quickly. I didn't bother going to the hospital--that's how much I didn't want to deal with my mom. Death first. Lol!

Fortunately for me, nothing happened. I wondered about that for a long time. The canebrake was one of two rattlesnakes that my friends were keeping as a pet. One snake had had its venom glands removed, but not the other. We didn't know which one was which, but I was willing to gamble that it was the one that bit me. Since then, I've learned that rattlesnakes sometimes bite without releasing venom. So, that's another possibility.

About 6 years ago, my boyfriend and I went on a hike and I saw a huge garter snake. Biggest snake I've ever seen in a natural New Jersey habitat. At least three feet long with like 1.25" in diameter.

It slithered across my path and BAM! I pounced. Pinned it to the ground with my sweatshirt sleeve and it whipped its head around and looked at me. I was just working out to figure out how to pick it up when Arnold unexpectedly yelled, "ARE YOU FCKING CRAZY?!?!" 

For a moment, I wondered if I might be executing a bad idea, and in that moment I let go 😞

The snake slithered away to freedom. Sigh.

I still think about it now and again. I wish I didn't let go. I spent so many years hunting for snakes, lizards, and salamanders in this stupid, cold state..... Finally, I hit payload and let go. Ugh.

Edited by Jibralta
  • Like 1

Jibralta! 

You are 44! Get outta here girl!!! You look about 25 in your pictures! Oh my lawd! What is your secret then?! 

An elopement sounds very romantic and I had as close as you could get to that whilst still having a “day” but if I did it again? Y’know, I probably would’ve done it exactly how you might! Well, you just never know 😉 I am waiting on an eNotalone wedding!!!

Lo x

8 hours ago, mylolita said:

You look about 25 in your pictures!

Those pictures are from 12 years ago, so that makes sense!

8 hours ago, mylolita said:

An elopement sounds very romantic and I had as close as you could get to that whilst still having a “day” but if I did it again? Y’know, I probably would’ve done it exactly how you might!

What kind of wedding did you have?