Thoughts, Rants, and Musings

Jibralta

Guest (Jibralta)
15 minutes ago, SherrySher said:

Hey guys. It's been, erm...an interesting few weeks to say the least. How are all of you doing?

Hey there, Sherry! Pretty much status quo over here. What's been new and 'interesting' with you?

This new forum format is torturing me with Captcha quizes for some reason...

I worked 18 hours yesterday. Slept on a couch in the office. Got three hours sleep.

Woke up this morning and went on an hour’s long quest for a toothbrush and toothpaste, deodorant. Got an unhealthy breakfast sandwich and a hash brown.

Wasn’t worth it.

Well, the toothbrush and toothpaste were worth it, but not the food.

I am now back in the office working on the first of two enormous energy drinks and waiting for my coworkers to show up.....

💩

Edited by Jibralta

Deadline to catch? Long hours are not very productive if you don't get enough sleep. Most people (including myself) underperform without sleep and in the end you are just wasting time feeling like a zombie the next day. Hope you got the job done!

Yes, a very aggravating deadline for a number of reasons. I had no idea I would be spending the night there. It was cold, and all I had for warmth was my jacket, a tiny space heater, and a cat.

I hope to post more about the situation one day, but every time I think about it I just get annoyed. 

You are absolutely right: after a certain amount of sleep depravation, you stop being productive.

I was half a zombie all day, but I think we got the job done. 

I am so frickin tired right now. 💤

Edited by Jibralta

Glad you got the job done 🙂

Thanks! It's Zeus, the image is taken from my favourite (very old) pc game Age of Mythology. 

Although Poseidon is my favourite it didn't match with my username.

Zeus: ancient Greek

Dias: modern Greek

• Like 1

We ordered a farm raised turkey for Thanksgiving and ended up with a 17lb turkey. I thought we would have a lot more leftovers than we actually did--especially since I overcooked it in such an epic fashion. But I think only one or two pounds actually made it to the freezer along with the stock I made from the carcass. 

Part of the reason it went like that is because I cooked an awesome gravy the next day. Turns out overcooked bird drippings make for flavorful gravy. We were looking for anything to cover in that stuff, even dried out turkey. 

Yesterday, I took out the final remains of the turkey and cooked them into a tetrazzini, which is by no means a light dish. We've finished up the whole pan and are now rolling around the apartment like two tetrazzini balloons.

I finished Postcards From the Edge. It was really good. Had very little to do with the movie, though. You can tell the movie and the book are related, but the movie doesn't follow the book at all. They are more like companion pieces.

Edited by Jibralta

My mom... she's so different from me. 

Take greeting cards, for example. They mean a lot to to her. More than I think they should. I mean, she gets her feelings hurt over them. 

Me personally, I could care less about cards. Yes, it's nice to receive a card, but I'm not keeping a list of who remembered and who forgot, or who was late. 

Another thing: my mom likes the mushy greeting cards. She finds them meaningful.

I'm the opposite. I think the mushy cards are meaningless. I like the funny ones. 

I'm bringing all of this up because I just got a mushy Christmas card from my mom. We haven't seen each other for two Christmases, and I think it's making her maudlin.

I do sympathize with that, and I do miss her, but I really can't stand going down there. My sister lives down there, too, and they've combined to form some sort of mother-sister Voltron that I'm sick of dealing with. Yes, I love them. But they make me crazy.

So, I got this mushy Christmas card from her, and now I'm like, "Oh shit," because I just mailed her a funny one. I know she's going to shake her head when she gets it, and say that I'm not feeling as much pain over this separation as I should. 

Edited by Jibralta
  • Like 1

Oh wow.  I always wondered who worked for hallmark!! One time -I was a kid -didn't know -my father got upset because the card I got him for Fathers Day was for godfathers lol.  It's so hard when it's family -so many "shoulds!"

Edited by Batya33

Lol mother daughter Voltron. 

People can be funny with cards. I used to send out handmade ones to the entire extended family. Thrn I stopped, and only send to those who I have decent relationships with and who I know would want them. Apparently a few of my aunts were insulted they weren't getting one anymore, knowing other aunts did. But it's because they are outright not even nice to me when I see them?! They still send me cards every Christmas. Why?! You don't even like me?! But apparently there is a Christmas card etiquette they feel we Must adhere to. That's a naw, from me. 

Lol mother daughter Voltron. 

People can be funny with cards. I used to send out handmade ones to the entire extended family. Thrn I stopped, and only send to those who I have decent relationships with and who I know would want them. Apparently a few of my aunts were insulted they weren't getting one anymore, knowing other aunts did. But it's because they are outright not even nice to me when I see them?! They still send me cards every Christmas. Why?! You don't even like me?! But apparently there is a Christmas card etiquette they feel we Must adhere to. That's a naw, from me. 

13 hours ago, Batya33 said:

my father got upset because the card I got him for Fathers Day was for godfathers lol

That's something my mom would get angry about, as well. 

Personally, I'm not against crossing things out on greeting cards and filling in the right thing--I think it's funny if it fits the bill. But my mom would be enraged if she saw me doing that. So, I almost never do, except when it's my boyfriend or a friend who I know would understand.

10 hours ago, itsallgrand said:

But apparently there is a Christmas card etiquette they feel we Must adhere to.

Yup, it's real. :classic_rolleyes:

Work is pretty good, but expectations at this place tend to shift, which is not good. And I think I've already written about how the owners can be unresponsive when employees voice concerns. 

I've noticed that I have a tendency to rationalize stuff like this.

Like at my last job, it took me almost two years before I would finally admit to myself that the owners were basically half-competent assholes. I really wanted to like them and believe in them.

I want to say that my current bosses are nice people who care about their business and their employees, that they're just really busy and overwhelmed. But I really don't know what's going on. So, I'm going to try to abstain from excusing my current bosses' flaws. 

We got a new structural engineer, Hassan. He's a bit like a bull in a china shop. Actually, he reminds me of a high-spirited, nervous horse with a good work ethic, that you have to firmly keep in check until he finally listens.

Everything goes back to horses with me, lol.

Anyway, it takes work to manage Hassan's intensity, and he's prone to freaking out, but it's worth the effort because he wants to do the job.

He's noticed something that I've noticed, too: the principal architect, Alan, hardly responds to anything. I can't figure out why. But I guess it doesn't really matter.

What matters is, it's causing problems, and I think I'm going to have to say something to Simon and Kasey. I don't want to, because I don't know what will happen. But I think it has to be said. I just have to figure out how to say it.

Edited by Jibralta

A couple times, while I was at college, I got hit on really hard by some guys. They just had absolutely no tact in their approach. I could be eating my lunch at a table, reading a book, and some guy I didn't know from Adam would come up to me and say, "What's up. Do you have a boyfriend?" And it was really aggressive.

One day, I was walking back to my dorm when some guy stopped me and asked if I had a boyfriend. I said "Yes." I always told guys like this that I had a boyfriend, even when I didn't. But this time, I really did have a boyfriend. 

The guy said, "Does your boyfriend go to school here?" I said, "No, he's back home." The guy then said, "He's cheating on you." Then he tried to tell me that the relationship I was in was just a waste of my time, and that I should just go out with him.

It was really annoying. I'd never met this guy before in my life. Fortunately, I managed to extricate myself from the situation before he clubbed me over the head and dragged me away by my hair.

Some months later, possibly even a year or two later, I spent the summer working in my college town. I had a job as a painter with the campus facilities department. It was an interesting experience. Two girlfriends of mine also took a job there, as well as a guy that they knew. We had fun, but our boss was a world class dickhead. 

One morning, in the middle of summer, the aforementioned caveman who tried to get me to break up with my boyfriend showed up to work. I think it was his first and last day working there.

The bossman gave us some paint scrapers and sent us off to scrape the bleachers in the stadium for a future paint job. You should have seen the size of the stadium--it would have taken ten years to scrape all of those bleachers with those little scrapers. It was a job for a sandblaster. That's how much of an asshole this boss was. He did shit like that all the time.

But I digress... 

The caveman and I packed our gear into my car, and I drove us to the stadium. In my tape deck, I had a mix tape, and on that mix tape was a song by Poe called Angry Johnny. Well, the caveman had some kind of reaction when the song came on. He did not approve of the song AT ALL. It made him very uncomfortable. 

I don't remember if I turned it off or what. I just remember thinking how ridiculous it was that this boorish guy had such delicate sensibilities that they were offended by a song.

Anyhoo, I'm writing all of this because I heard Angry Johnny the other day. I still think it's a great song.

Even though I listened to this song a lot back in the day, and probably had many adventures while it played in the background, the memory that came back was the one that I just related. Made me laugh. 

Edited by Jibralta

This weekend, the drain in our kitchen sink started backing up for no apparent reason. I first saw it on Saturday night, when I walked past the kitchen and glanced over. It looked like the bottom of the sink was halfway up a cutting board that had been sitting against the edge.

I did a double-take, probably did a triple-take. I tried to dismiss what I was seeing as some kind of optical illusion. But something made me turn back and look again.

I was stunned to see murky, gray water standing tranquilly in the sink.

I had just put a dish in the sink literally five minutes before that, and there was no water in the sink. 

There had been absolutely no sound. My apartment is not large. I had only been sitting 10 feet away. The water filled the basin in complete silence. It was very alarming.

I watched the progress of the water during the course of the evening. Sometimes it got higher, sometimes it got lower. It never overtopped the sink, but I removed things from the counter just in case. And I called the super and the landlord.

In the morning, the water was gone. But it came back a couple of times over the course of the day. It was really gross. And it snuck up on us. One minute the sink was empty, the next minute we had a liquid visitor. We lived in terror.

This morning, the maintenance men came over.

I've already had them come to my apartment twice because I saw/heard the sink drain bubbling. They seemed to think there was a blockage in my apartment, and addressed the issue accordingly.

I knew the blockage was not in our apartment. We have a slow drain is all. And I regularly flush the drain with vinegar, baking soda, and hot water to keep things moving. I keep that slow drain in good shape. 

The backflow was caused by a blockage down the line, between my apartment and the sewer. My apartment is on the first floor, so unfortunately I'm the first to get screwed when the main line clogs.

This time, the maintenance guys did the right thing and tested the blockage by running my upstairs neighbor's sink. Then they spent a couple hours really snaking the drain.

At a certain point, things got really, really loud and a chemical smell made it difficult to breathe. So, we left and found someplace to destroy our diets.

They were just finishing up when we came back. I think it's gonna be ok. Our drain isn't slow anymore, either.

Edited by Jibralta

51 minutes ago, Jibralta said:

This weekend, the drain in our kitchen sink started backing up for no apparent reason. I first saw it on Saturday night, when I walked past the kitchen and glanced over. It looked like the bottom of the sink was halfway up a cutting board that had been sitting against the edge.

I did a double-take, probably did a triple-take. I tried to dismiss what I was seeing as some kind of optical illusion. But something made me turn back and look again.

I was stunned to see murky, gray water standing tranquilly in the sink.

I had just put a dish in the sink literally five minutes before that, and there was no water in the sink. 

There had been absolutely no sound. My apartment is not large. I had only been sitting 10 feet away. The water filled the basin in complete silence. It was very alarming.

I watched the progress of the water during the course of the evening. Sometimes it got higher, sometimes it got lower. It never overtopped the sink, but I removed things from the counter just in case. And I called the super and the landlord.

In the morning, the water was gone. But it came back a couple of times over the course of the day. It was really gross. And it snuck up on us. One minute the sink was empty, the next minute we had a liquid visitor. We lived in terror.

This morning, the maintenance men came over.

I've already had them come to my apartment twice because I saw/heard the sink drain bubbling. They seemed to think there was a blockage in my apartment, and addressed the issue accordingly.

I knew the blockage was not in our apartment. We have a slow drain is all. And I regularly flush the drain with vinegar, baking soda, and hot water to keep things moving. I keep that slow drain in good shape. 

The backflow was caused by a blockage down the line, between my apartment and the sewer. My apartment is on the first floor, so unfortunately I'm the first to get screwed when the main line clogs.

This time, the maintenance guys did the right thing and tested the blockage by running my upstairs neighbor's sink. Then they spent a couple hours really snaking the drain.

At a certain point, things got really, really loud and a chemical smell made it difficult to breathe. So, we left and found someplace to destroy our diets.

They were just finishing up when we came back. I think it's gonna be ok. Our drain isn't slow anymore, either.

Oh my goodness!

Yes - I also did not think it was your drain! When you said you were in a first floor apartment, then...

Gosh, I can’t remember how or where this happened. But I recall an incident where our bathtub backed up with sewage water. No one had used the bathtub. It ended up being a main sewage line blockage. Tree roots, or something like that.

My then husband was experienced with digging out sewage lines (we also had old rental houses - and the lovely renters would park their trucks on the lawn, crushing the sewage lines...)

Once when we were staying at a hotel for the holidays, my sister’s room on the first floor was flooded due to a blockage in the laundry drains on the floor above. I was on an upper floor. 

Also, my son had moved into a newly built apartment - in fact, they were still finishing up some of the floors when he moved in. He was on an upper floor. He told me his friends on the first floor ended up with a mess - because of a problem with the drain lines.

So I have learned- 1. don’t stay or live on the first floor, if possible. 2. Instruct renters not to park trucks on the lawn. 3. Blockages happen.

Hope all is better now!

1 minute ago, luminousone said:

Haha, yeah...

We had high class tenants...

When my youngest son was two weeks overdue (and 9 1/2 lbs), they scheduled me to go in to be induced. We were to report at midnight. My parents had flown in to stay with our oldest while we were at the hospital. 

They stayed in our daylight basement and we had put a kitchenette in there and had rented the space out (before kids). My mom decided to do some cooking and being impetuous as she is, she stuffed cauliflower leaves in the garbage disposal. And plugged the drain.

My husband tried valiantly to unblock it. Unfortunately our drain snake was 2 hours away - his sister had borrowed it. He had some water blaster thing that was supposed to unblock drains, so he tried that. 

He was up on the roof with the hose water blaster thing threaded through the vent pipe trying to unblock the drain. It was pouring down rain, and 10 at night. Unfortunately it didn’t work and we had to get ready for the hospital.

He instructed my parents to call Roto-rooter or a similar service the next day. Of course my parents called a plumber, who charged us way more, so my husband really grumbled about that when he got the bill. 

Anyway, we did go in at midnight for me to be induced - they got us in the room and decided to induce at 8 am. But I went into labor on my own at 2 am, so that worked out. He was a cute baby who is nearly 21 now.

As I said. Blockages happen. And often at inconvenient times...

WOW, you have bad luck when it comes to blockages!!

We wanted my landlord to call a plumber, too. But yes, they are very expensive. So, I wasn't very surprised when the handy men showed up.

That's so funny that your son decided to be born on the same morning that he was scheduled to be induced!