Afraid of being online shamed from social media posts I made years ago

ehale434

When I was in my early 20s and when social media was new, I posted some jokes, nothing racist but some maybe non "politically correct." I am not a racist or a sexist or a xenophobe.

In particular, I am afraid of a video I texted my best friend and my best friend's brother of an 8 second video with my face dubbing over the words of an arab man yelling "allahu akhbar, allahu akhbar" (God is great in arabic) as a joke

I do not hate muslims, and am not a racist

but i have no excuse

this video is offensive and does mock muslims

My friend and his brother promised me they would never release it....but my anxiety and depression and delusional paranoia gets the best of me.

If this video with my face was ever released on the internet would my life be ruined? often people make one mistake on social media and make an offensive joke and their life are ruined by twitter social justice mobs, they can never get a job ever again even if they apologize and repent for their offensive joke

if this video was ever released... i wouldn't only be sorry because i got caught...I'd be sorry that i offended muslims and arabic speakers

What should I do?

am i worrying too much?

if this video was released could i recover professionally ?

can i clean up my google search results if it is ever released?

please watch this ted talk

by Jon Ronson "When Online shaming goes too far"

i would do a reverse google search now and then to be sure it isn't online if i were concerned.

any particular reason you fear these guys would publish it now after all those years?

are you saying you are generally prone to paranoia/persecutory anxiety? that would do more harm than a tasteless joke nobody remembers anymore, and have probably long ago ditched the device/card it was on.

Clean out your social media and reset all the privacy settings. Remove any unwanted posts, friends, followers etc.

Get a public LinkedIn profile and start a positive google search campaign so that most of what shows up about you is positive. Research social media reputation. media reputation[/url]

Your friends stated they won't release it. Why do you think they will?

I have a history of paranoia and persecutory anxiety. A friend of mine once had a picture of me smoking pot and i freaked out for two years but I got over. I sent this video to my best friend (and were still best friends) and he sent it to his brother. They both said they would not share it with anyone (but my friend sometimes jokes he posted it all over the internet) just to bug me out but never does anything with it.

I don't think mocking the phrase "allahu akhbar" is very racist...it simply means "god is great" but people online are very politically correct and the twitter mob can be relentless and very harmful. tim hunt, a nobel prize winning biologist, made a joke about girls crying in the lab, and even though he never committed a crime in his life and trained countless female scientists, had his entire career ruined by a twitter lynch mob.

My last question

Does anybody think that a 8 second video of me sayinf "allahu akhbar" (god is great in Arabic) is extremely racist and offensive ?

Or would people just laugh it off

And if released would it ruin my life and every employer who googles my name think I'm a racist ?

I tend to think no..... but I suffer from persecutory anxiety and paranoia so I cannot think clearly so sometimes I think "yes" it can destroy my life

If released would it destroy my life ? Yes or no ?

My last question

Does anybody think that a 8 second video of me sayinf "allahu akhbar" (god is great in Arabic) is extremely racist and offensive ?

Or would people just laugh it off

And if released would it ruin my life and every employer who googles my name think I'm a racist ?

I tend to think no..... but I suffer from persecutory anxiety and paranoia so I cannot think clearly so sometimes I think "yes" it can destroy my life

If released would it destroy my life ? Yes or no ?

You want an an answer? NO is my answer. Get yourself some help for your over the top worrying.

I think people nowadays get too overboard with the political correct things. A person can't say a joke that all hell goes loose. I don't even think that alla kebar thing is all that but nowadays there are people who take these things all too serious. So I'd advise deleting every post you rather not to be seen from your social media, restrict the privacy settings and all that. If you're so scared you could ask your friends to delete the video, however I don't think they'd send that video knowing that you're so concerned. You need to try to relax.

Archived