Rebound and not sure

I've been dating this great guy for several weeks now and I'm 99.9% sure I'm a rebound. When we first started dating he told me he was in a long-term relationship before and I brushed it off thinking it didn't really matter. But now that things are getting more serious, I'm having a lot of doubts. He was with his ex-girlfriend for 5 years and we started dating only 4 months after their break-up. When I voiced my concerns about that, he said they were both unhappy for at least 2 years but neither of them did anything about it. It only ended after he found out she'd been cheating on him. He also mentioned he already had a few rebounds in the 4 months we weren't dating and he's already moved on. Obviously, I'm really skeptical.

He's extremely thoughtful and sweet and he treats me like I'm the best thing in the world. But it feels like he's trying to progress too fast. When we're spending time together, he'll often say 'Where have you been all my life?" as if I'm the one he's been waiting for. I'm so sure he's projecting his feelings and it sucks. The problem is that I really like him and I really want to believe that this could work out but I have a lot of trouble believing his feelings are real. I can't really open myself up to him and let the relationship develop because of this.

I guess what I'm asking is: Could this work out? Or should I end things before they get too deep? I'm just not sure.

Set the pace and don't rush in. Whatever he tells you is irrelevant, everyone swears they are over their ex when sex happening.

You seem very astute to the signs such as this fast talk etc. All you can do is slow the pace as far as time together, texting and most of all over-investing or getting too attached too soon. Watch out for how often he mentions her.

I've been dating this great guy for several weeks we started dating only 4 months after their break-up. But it feels like he's trying to progress too fast. When we're spending time together, he'll often say 'Where have you been all my life?" as if I'm the one he's been waiting for. I'm so sure he's projecting his feelings and it sucks.

You asked him if you were a rebound and he gave you a pretty solid answer. He doesn't see you as a rebound. If you open yourself up to him could it hurt? Yes. That's the tricky part of intimacy and caring for people. It is risky. There is nothing in his recent history that proves you are a "rebound". Also that is a concept that doesn't hold true for every relationship. It's just a common pattern. It sounds like he really likes you and you really like him. My guess it's your fear of getting hurt that is making you focus on this.

How long have the two of you been together so far? The first couple of months often seem perfect, especially if it's a rebound.

For about 6 weeks we've been dating. I agree, everything is going so well that I feel like it's almost too good to be true.

Archived