My boyfriend and I have been together for 6 months. We are not young by any means. I am 27 and he is 34. We have both been married before and have been in relationships where our S.O. was emotionally abusive and unavailable. The past several months have been wonderful. I had trusted him and felt more open with him than anyone I ever had been with before. Our communication has been unbelievably open and vulnerable.

A couple of nights ago we went to a wedding reception. We both got drunk. I ended up falling asleep on a bench by the fire while he was talking to my cousin's on and off again girlfriend. I woke up some time later and they were both gone. I immediately got a sick feeling in my stomach, but brushed it off as being paranoid.

Last night he told me that he had sex with her. He told me he was pass out drunk and doesn't even know why he did it and only remembers bits and pieces of it. He seems really remorseful and stopped drinking altogether. I don't want to give up something that has so far been amazing for possibly one terrible mistake. I want to be able to forgive him and continue to build our relationship. But I don't know what to do or if I can.

An outside opinion would be very helpful.

Unfortunately it's only 6 mos of dating and he's cheating right in front of you. Dating is to observe what someone is really like not be put through the wringer. You just gave him a free pass to cheat, so that's how this will continue. Cut your losses.

6 months. I ended up falling asleep on a bench by the fire while he was talking to my cousin's on and off again girlfriend. I woke up some time later and they were both gone. Last night he told me that he had sex with her.

I'm not one of those people who think cheating leads to an automatic break up. Things are not that black and white.

Cheating in general is bad. But cheating at an event that you are attending together is ty. And I'm assuming it was a wedding reception of your family member since your cousin was there with his gr then that just makes it even worse. There is no coming back from that. Stopping drinking is not a solution and let's face it that will last for 1 month. Move on.

Archived