Once in a lifetime love, do the best of romances deserve a second chance?

I broke up with my ex girlfriend, it was a terrible mistake and I now want her back. We had been dating for a year and a half when I broke up with her. I had recently graduated college and was moving away and just got overwhelmed by the circumstances. Honestly, I had personal issues that I had been suppressing. I wasn't thinking clearly and irrationally broke it off. I dumped her out of nowhere and completely broke her heart. We had an amazing relationship, our love was truly special. I now realize what I have lost and am facing the consequences of my actions. We shared a once in a lifetime love, do the best of romances deserve a second chance?

Since the breakup we remained continual but limited contact. There was never any fighting, pleading, or begging from either of us. 5 months later I began to try and reconcile. We had been talking and she had agreed to meet with me but due to our long distance it took extra effort and planning to arrange a meet up. After we were planning to meet up she sent me a message saying she was seeing someone new and that it wouldn't be a good idea. My instinct is that she had been seeing this guy for a couple months but just didn't want to tell me. I can't blame her for wanting to move on, but I also don't think she has moved on. I've completely respected her new relationship and still maintained minimal contact showing her I care. She'd been receptive and after few good conversations I sent her a text asking if I could give her a call, she didn't respond. I've gone no contact for a month now.

Leading up to and even during her new relationship it was clear that she still had feelings for me. Regardless if this guy is rebound or not, I genuinely believe she still loves me. Assuming she really does still love me, how likely is a reconciliation? Do I wait patiently for the relationship to end? Should I continue to remain NC or go LC? Do i write her a letter and leave the ball in her court?

Since we've been separated I have resolved my personal issues, become a better man, and am ready to commit my life to her if she is willing to give me another chance. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to hear this. Unfortunately she may be ok with friendzoning an ex but not meeting up while with a new guy.

It would be best to go no contact and stop staying in touch. If she dumps him and she's still interested, you'll hear from her.

In the meantime no desperate "get your ex back" letters or buzzing in the friendzone like a vulture waiting for her relationship to die, etc.

Best to continue your self improvement plans and get on some dating apps yourself.

After we were planning to meet up she sent me a message saying she was seeing someone new and that it wouldn't be a good idea.

If it really matters to you then quit beating around the bush and lay it all out for her - how you feel, what you want, etc. Then give her time to process it. If her answer is no, then you will need accept that things are over for real and that you will need to move on. If she has truly moved on that fast.....honestly, it was never meant to be. Be careful that you aren't over romanticizing the past just because you've moved and are feeling lonely and alone.

Unfortunately a break up can taint the best of romances. You broke her trust and that always leaves a mark. For her it stopped being the "best of romances" once you " dumped her out of nowhere and completely broke her heart" so it's best to learn from this and think twice before behaving like that in the future. As for your ex, she is currently in another relationship. Imo, the best thing for you would be to stay no contact. Her current boyfriend and the long distance indicate that the chances for a reconciliation to be successful are slim at this point in your lives. You would both be best off healing and moving on completely at this point; if the two of you are meant to be, life will find a way to bring you back together further down the line.

Archived