Bisexuality- the blurred lines

Now, I am not trying to undermine or dismiss the concept of bisexuality.

I personally find women attractive but I just wouldn't identify myself as Bi because I am something like, 90% attracted to men ( I hate putting percentages on these issues but I have to illustrate my point). I identify as gay, and I always have.

Bisexuality always seems to be a grey area, and most of the time if you ask a Bisexual about their preferences, they usually tend to lean more towards one sex more than another.

As a guy, I see this a LOT amongst men- they will say they are Bi but do not seem to deal with women at all.

My ex said he was Bi, and I don't doubt he is attracted to women, but I know he would only ever go with/date men. So then it inevitably makes me question the concept of Bisexuality.

I know that there are genuine Bisexual people who persue both sexes, but often I get the impression that some people use it as a smokescreen for the fact that it doesn't necessarily sound as bad as just saying you are gay.

I'm intrigued to see what other people think about this...

Now, I am not trying to undermine or dismiss the concept of bisexuality.

I personally find women attractive but I just wouldn't identify myself as Bi because I am something like, 90% attracted to men ( I hate putting percentages on these issues but I have to illustrate my point). I identify as gay, and I always have.

Bisexuality always seems to be a grey area, and most of the time if you ask a Bisexual about their preferences, they usually tend to lean more towards one sex more than another.

As a guy, I see this a LOT amongst men- they will say they are Bi but do not seem to deal with women at all.

My ex said he was Bi, and I don't doubt he is attracted to women, but I know he would only ever go with/date men. So then it inevitably makes me question the concept of Bisexuality.

I know that there are genuine Bisexual people who persue both sexes, but often I get the impression that some people use it as a smokescreen for the fact that it doesn't necessarily sound as bad as just saying you are gay.

I'm intrigued to see what other people think about this...

I agree with your take on the subject. chi

I tend to agree. There must be a range. Also before the 50's and again during the AIDS epidemic or in areas when being gay was or is not accepted the concept of sham marriages and down low were/are much more prevalent. A polite term in those days was confirmed bachelor if someone stayed in the closet but didn't have a sham marriage. Mayor Koch of NYC and many Hollywood figures fall into these categories.

I get the impression that some people use it as a smokescreen for the fact that it doesn't necessarily sound as bad as just saying you are gay.

I'm not bi but I imagine there are people attracted to both sexes somewhat equally. How often they act on that may be related to regional social norms. I don't know.

I'll see a woman and think she's hot. It's not in a sexual way - I am absolutely not attracted to women sexually - but I can see the appeal. Does that make sense? I think it's more just a recognition of how people can be appealing. I would imagine most people feel somewhat like this.

I think you can be bisexual and continuously only date the one gender. I think how people feel about love, relationships and marriage is all changing, and it's heading towards "free love" where you just love all sorts of different people. I don't think you have to be afraid anymore if your dating the same sex, it seems to be more accepted than it's ever been. I think people have been bisexual since the dinosaurs.

Archived