Boyfriend's brother in law dying

Clemente21

We have been together a year now and all this time I have been fully aware that his brother in law has an aggressive form of cancer. Now it looks like he is in the final stages of this horrific disease and it will not be much longer for him.

Boyfriend's sister is doing the best she can and some of his siblings have come to town to spend time with him.

My boyfriend has a ton on his plate now...very much concerned about his sister and niece, obviously..among other things.

I ask how I can help or what I can do and he says...there is not anything anyone can do, which is completely true.

I am doing my best to be supportive and not intrusive...he is doing a lot of reading presumably to distract himself (we are literally waiting for the phone call from his sister to tell us her husband's fight is over).

Other than continually reassuring him that I am here for him and his family and being as loving as I can be what other things can you all suggest????

I am just wanting to help as much as I can to lighten the load a bit.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

You are doing all you can, as he said. Just carry on and perhaps do stuff, plan stuff etc since a temporary distraction is a good coping skill that he is already employing himself. But don't hover or try to "talk about it". If he brings it up, just listen.

he says...there is not anything anyone can do, which is completely true. ..he is doing a lot of reading presumably to distract himself
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you both for your suggestions and for the link to read....his brother in law lost his fight with cancer two weeks ago and we had the memorial a week ago. Boyfriend is not doing well, as to be expected but we are working through everything a day at a time. This is rough but I thank you for your help!

Archived