Open Club  ·  49 members

Off Topic

How do I fix my window?

BlarneyStone

Alright eNA, so this one's gonna be a little different. Disclaimer: I'm typing this at work so I'm a little distracted, so hopefully this makes sense.

I have two issues at hand. The first of which is I have this terrible draft coming through my bedroom window in my apartment. I've tried some different weather stripping and nothing has worked. The second issue seems to be that my landlord is ignoring my texts on how to deal with the window. Probably because he knows it needs to be completely replaced and he doesn't like coming to terms with the truth.

The window opens like a swivel. So I have to push it outward to open it. When it closes, it doesn't fully close. The bottom of the seal is old and rotted away. When I attempt to close it fully, it bounces backwards, leaving it slightly open at the bottom. I actually had to put a makeshift lock in place in the inside to prevent it from coming unlocked. Shimmying the window from the outside was actually unlocking the latch, so that's scary right?

I had the landlord come out and look at it. He tried putting down some weather stripping and it seemed to work. For like one night. Have you ever seen one of those scary movies where there's some artifact haunting the protagonist? The protagonist tries burning it, throwing it away, and it just appears again anyway, and it's like "WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?!" That's how I feel right now, just yelling at my window "Just leave us alone!"

Told the landlord it's still cold. The furnace is no doubt running heavier to combat the cold. The computer in my room is cold to the touch in the morning. It's just dangerous. He won't answer me. And he usually always does. Up to this point I'd say hes been great in the 18 months I've lived here. Always responds to my texts and quickly comes out to fix things, which honestly isn't all that often anyway.

Should I just caulk the crap out of the gap in the window? I don't care if it's permanently closed, landlord said he'd replace the windows in the summer and believe me, I have no interest opening them until then.

Any other cheap remedies I could try? I honestly don't feel like this is my issue and that I should use money from my pocket to fix it (I already bought the weather stripping and that didn't work). How do I handle my landlord ignoring me? It's been two days and I've sent him two texts explaining I can hardly handle sleeping at night (it's getting to single digit weather out here) even with four blankets.

Heeeeeooouullp.

Pics and receipts and things in writing are your friends. If the LL wants to it put off until summer ok but document the situation well. Include a thermometer and a bunch of pics of the window defects and any receipts for a makeshift repair. Be careful to get his approval in writing for any alterations so he doesn't come back and claim you caused any damage.

I'll swallow the bullet on the makeshift repair if need be, though landlord himself said it was a good idea and he would've done the same thing. I would consider this a very informal landlord-tenant relationship. It's an apartment with four spaces. His lease agreement was only one page. He's understanding.

I don't want to collect evidence to incriminate the guy if I can help it.

Have your tried packaging tape? What is the temp in your room?

I'm worried that tape of any kind isn't going to prevent the draft from coming in since the gap is so large and considering adhesive weather stripping didn't help. But I'll do some more research on that online.

I think that if you can seal it, it will help tremendously. I have an air con behind my bed, which was letting in a terrible draft. I sealed it up with the tape, and it made a tremendous difference. Also, check your outlets, they can also be responsible for drafts.

You have nothing to lose.

So the frame's jacked up? I personally wouldn't caulk it. You could try a window insulation film kit. Your window won't look as clear due to the film over it, but it may help more than the weather strips.

I don't know if you wanna be starting any contests, but you could send the landlord a certified letter for repair of the window. That may or may not light a flame under his butt to get it fixed. No idea where you live or what the ordinance dictates, but they're generally much less forgiving when it comes to cold weather issues.

Use the shrink-wrap type temporary storm window kit. It uses removable double sided tape on the window frame and then a plastic sheeting that you place over, heat with a hairdryer to make taut, then trim.

I'll try to post a link:

PS. Do you know you posted this thread in the Abuse and Violence forum? Maybe it is more useful to put it in the Off Topic forum for more to see?

It's not about collecting evidence against your landlord, it's about you protecting yourself against any claims he may make. These kinds of informal agreements may seem all friendly and fuzzy, until..... Cover your own rear end and keep it for your records, just in case. If nothing comes of it, great, but if something goes wrong, at least you are covered.

Anyway, if the gap is that big, go buy some foam strips, cut and fit them into the gap, cover all with tape. The foam is excellent at insulation and has just a little bit of give for any movement that the window might have, as in stretch a bit, contract a bit without dislodging. You can get it at pretty much any hardware store. Also, easy to remove once warm weather comes. Be careful about any spray foam as it will be permanent, even if it claims otherwise and will damage the window frame and sill. I'm talking about actually ready made foam strips. If foam strips are too thin for the gap, get a foam pad and cut it up as needed.

And yeah I realize I put this thread in the wrong category but I didn't know where to put it so I just closed my eyes and picked at random.

Its a good thing you didn't end up in the suicide subforum we'd be really worried about you.

Archived