Open Club  ·  40 members

Off Topic

3 facebook rants

bumblebeehive

That was the best rant ever, Sportster. Unfollow, unfollow, unfollow lol.

Some aspects of Facebook is hard to avoid even if you are barely or not at all active on it. I barely use my Facebook account, but it's hard to avoid those family and friends who make every get together a big photo op. For someone like me, I'd really rather this wasn't a part of the culture now. I love doing something without there always being photos and 'hang on, I want pics of us drinking !' 😄 or whatever. Even if you ask not be posted, people do. It's not limited to Facebook users, but they seem to be big offenders of posting without permission.

Also be careful what you post in general about family/fathers/mothers

This girl I am friends with posts about her ex weekly and it makes her look crazy lol

first week: just broke up on to the next one.

next week : left me for some ho bag, whatever, I deserve better.

next week my ex is a druggy, doesn't take care of his daughter

next week : random hiking pics of ex and daughter insert sappy quote " Fam comes first" love you babe

next week; all guys are the same

repeat... lol this happens multiple times a year.

Yesss love the unfollow option...makes the fb feed more tolerable these days.

Lately been super annoyed with the notifications for ppl going "live" nah Idc about what u doing atm nor do I want to watch you vids so u can get views. There's no way to turn them off except when there's the notification pops you can choose to hide it. But you still get new ones...so damn annoying.

Also when someone with no mutual friends and lives on the other side of the world tries to add you...uhhhh what who are you? Are you a spy? Are you an enemy trying to catfish? Lol um just nope.

And when ppl repost quotes, articles and spam the out of your feed, gd you're so knowledgeable and so cool thanks for enlightening all of us with your wisdom on fb...ughhhh so annoying lol

Fricken fb dude lol can't live with/without it forever love/hate relationship haha k /endfbrant

I have a love/hate relationship with FB. I love it because I find out about a lot of upcoming events. I can just click interested and the even gets synchronized with my calendar. I love the groups and communities. I'm a photographer, there's some amazing photo groups. For all my hobbies and passions there are some great groups.

What drives me crazy is the 'friend' crap. Especially friends who are always posting quotes. Most of them are just crap. They post them all the time. They just feel they have to share all the wonderful wisdom. This is the number one reason I unfollow friends. Then there's the 'my life is so effen wonderful' posts. Look at me, I'm doing this wonderful thing, and I have such wonderful and amazing friends. Wouldn't you like to be like me? Unfollow. Then there's the happy couples. All the selfies. Look at what a wonderful couple we are. We are so in love, we are so happy. In case you don't get it, let us post some more of us. We are amazing, we do amazing things. I had a friend posing with a celebrity once. A celebrity I like. I commented on it. She said what a great time she had. Then the boyfriend commented on what a wonderful time he had, and then they chimed in together what a great evening they had, blah blah blah. Unfollow. The funny thing is they are the worst couple I know. He's constantly cheating, she's miserable and acts like she hates him. But boy oh boy their Facebook relationship is just awesome.

Oh and please post when you check into an airport. I can't wait to see where you're going next world traveler. And every time there's a big sporting event happening everyone on Facebook all of a sudden is a GD sportscaster. Giving their play by play and commentary. Making sure everyone knows the score. And then when a celebrity dies you get the speeches and heart felt BS, as if they were personal friends with the celebrity.

And stop with the drama baiting. "Oh that was the worse day of my life". "Some people just want to play games". "Some big changes coming soon". SORRY, not going to bite. Unfollow, unfollow, and maybe an unfriend or two is you do drama and post those excruciating, mind numbing quotes. And for crying out loud, it doesn't take a lot of talent to drink alcohol. Why is that something to be proud of?? Look at you drunk at the pub, what an effin hero. Nobody has ever done that before.

And that's how you do a rant......

The sad and funny thing is....I love quotes and post them because I can relate to them and I like going back to them sometimes. Most of my postings have been on Pinterest and Tumblr though, not on Facebook.

I actually love photography as well, mostly nature photography. One of the reasons why I'm currently addicted to Instagram is because they're some absolutely stunning and beautiful photo's of nature around the world. A lot of photographers on there seem to post about the same time of day every day.

Other than that I would agree with your points against Facebook, and social media in general. I think it's great for connecting and sharing with people, but it seems like people are really mostly using it for the wrong reasons. It's one of the main culprits for the personality "me me me" self absorbed culture we have I think.

I've got my yearly profile picture change scheduled for next Friday. Don't miss it. It's gonna be yuuuuge.

I'm always afraid of posting a picture of myself on here....partially due to the fact that I don't come on here too often anyway, and partially because I'm afraid someone will recognize me somehow.

Oh yes, I love funny kitty videos. And Journeynow, there is a lot to love. You've mentioned some. You also reminded me off the 'copy and paste'. Or 'Can we get a thousand likes for x'. Which is mildly annoying and harmless. But when people blindly post things that are scams or harmful medical advice, it gets dangerous. The irony is they obviously have access to Google and Snopes.

But FB and social media are modern day facts of life. At the end of the day I would be lost without FB. I really find it useful and mostly enjoyable.

Then there's the people collectors. Seriously you have 4000 friends. Needy much?

Always amazed at the people who have more than a few hundred friends.

It's like how do you know that many people?

The good majority of them, they hardly if ever speak to or interact with them.

Always amazed at the people who have more than a few hundred friends.

It's like how do you know that many people?

The good majority of them, they hardly if ever speak to or interact with them.

Because it's facebook "friends". I do know all those people -and many more -but they are not all my friends- some are former colleagues, potential future colleagues, etc or parts of groups where I want to be informed about what's going on. It depends on your priorities, your career, future career goals, social opportunities as to how much you want to be out there but "friends" is typically in quotes.

• 2 weeks later...
The sad and funny thing is....I love quotes and post them because I can relate to them and I like going back to them sometimes. Most of my postings have been on Pinterest and Tumblr though, not on Facebook.

I actually love photography as well, mostly nature photography. One of the reasons why I'm currently addicted to Instagram is because they're some absolutely stunning and beautiful photo's of nature around the world. A lot of photographers on there seem to post about the same time of day every day.

Other than that I would agree with your points against Facebook, and social media in general. I think it's great for connecting and sharing with people, but it seems like people are really mostly using it for the wrong reasons. It's one of the main culprits for the personality "me me me" self absorbed culture we have I think.

I find very few of the quotes interesting. Sometimes one goes by that makes me pause. And sometimes I just want to scream, like this one.

Grab a plate and throw it on the ground.

-Ok, Done.

Did it break?

-Yes.

Now say sorry to it.

-Sorry.

Did it go back to the way it was before?

-No

Do you understand?

Seriously?? Comparing a diner plate to complex human interaction??? And the killer is, yes, sometimes sorry does fix things. Maybe it's supposed to be taken literally. Maybe there's people all over the country smashing diner plates and wondering why talking to them doesn't fix them.

Sometimes words can't be take back, I get it. But the above strikes me as banal, illogical and just plain stupid.

I find very few of the quotes interesting. Sometimes one goes by that makes me pause. And sometimes I just want to scream, like this one.

Grab a plate and throw it on the ground.

-Ok, Done.

Did it break?

-Yes.

Now say sorry to it.

-Sorry.

Did it go back to the way it was before?

-No

Do you understand?

Seriously?? Comparing a diner plate to complex human interaction??? And the killer is, yes, sometimes sorry does fix things. Maybe it's supposed to be taken literally. Maybe there's people all over the country smashing diner plates and wondering why talking to them doesn't fix them.

Sometimes words can't be take back, I get it. But the above strikes me as banal, illogical and just plain stupid.

This is hilarious, sportster.

I saw a perfect example last night of why that concept is ridiculous and does not apply to humans. Two people at work had a disagreement. It ended with one of the people storming off, calling out a snide comment as they walked away. About an hour later, the person who stormed off asked the other person if they could talk. Stormed-Off Person apologized and explained that they were under an extremely high amount of work pressure and that they were sorry for overreacting. Person #2 said they understood and everything is fine now.

So there.

• 1 month later...

Facebook can be good and it can be bad. I have a friend who posted on Facebook where she worked and guess what? An old creditor of hers found that information and garnished her wages.

However, it can also be good. I have reconnected with people from the past and I am grateful for that.

I guess the bottom line is that if you are on Facebook you need to be careful how you use it and learn how you can stop your notifications and use the privacy settings. chi

Apart from anything else, it's unfair on the kids, plastering their photos all over the internet.

Totally. I don't post photos of my son. I let others do it if it is connected to school/camp and part of a Facebook group where he is not tagged. I posted one photo in his whole life because it was in all the major newspapers and a view of him from the back. I have had others remove photos of him and will continue to do so - to me it's mainly a safety issue. I remember one mom posted that she and her baby would be on a major shopping street in their city if anyone wanted to see his cute new outfit. Nice -broadcasting to everyone where she would be with her child and that her apartment would be empty at that time. Many examples of that and frustrating.

Totally. I don't post photos of my son. I let others do it if it is connected to school/camp and part of a Facebook group where he is not tagged. I posted one photo in his whole life because it was in all the major newspapers and a view of him from the back. I have had others remove photos of him and will continue to do so - to me it's mainly a safety issue. I remember one mom posted that she and her baby would be on a major shopping street in their city if anyone wanted to see his cute new outfit. Nice -broadcasting to everyone where she would be with her child and that her apartment would be empty at that time. Many examples of that and frustrating.

I have a running buddy who is obsessed. At least a dozen posts a day with pictures of her kids. Mundane irrelevant posts. And on Twitter it borders on neurotic, no scratch that, it is neurotic. Over 40,000 tweets.

All about her kids. When she puts them bed, when she breasts feeds them, when they vomit. I think the poor women is sick. No one favorites or re-tweets her. So I dunnoh??

I know it's effing snowing out. I have a window. I don't need pictures of the snow outside your window. Stop it, just stop it.

And I see you know how to decorate a Xmas tree. How brilliant. I'm just hurt that before Facebook you didn't phone me and describe your Xmas tree to me.

I feel sorry for those who still use facebook.

Yes! I get to meet new/interesting people (in person!), I got to go on interviews I never would have gotten, see photos of my grandniece and nephew who live far away and get quick input on where to go/what to do in my newish city. I also get to see what's going on in my child's school and activities in a much more efficient way than if I had to call/email a variety of people and I get the information sooner. Woe is me......

Archived