birthday gift for boyfriend (turnng 24 y/o)

anongurl

Hi!!

I've been dating my bf for about 5 months and for my birthday he got me tickets for my fav band + he payed for the trip and everything.

Now it's soon his birthday and I have NO IDEA what to get him after he got me a gift like that??? I don't know if it's acceptable to just get him something cute like merchandise of some band or show he likes or a necklace or something like that because I don't have a lot of money! I wanna know if people honestly think he would get happy just receiving a smaller gift? + maybe I could pay for dinner somewhere as well. What do you think? :snowman:

If you think of an idea and think "cute," then do not get that gift for your boyfriend.

By and large, men prefer functional. Getting him something like a poster of his band instead of tickets because you can't afford them is like my old cat who used to bring me dead leaves from the attic because he couldn't catch mice like the other cat could.

Buy him dinner, pay attention if he's been wanting a particular video game, new socks, comfy slippers... the sky's the limit. Ask yourself: "Would he use this?" If yes, you pretty much can't go wrong. Just pay a little bit of attention.

Lol I can't cook. But I can definietely pay for dinner wherever he wanna go and eat!

By merchandise I didn't really mean a poster, more like a mug maybe? Something you actually use, I know friends of mine who have gotten their boyfriends those kinda things as well. I feel it's too early to get him some kind of clothing item, but then again!.. he gave me a trip and concert tickets. :snowman: What about movie tickets?? He's been talking about this movie that comes out soon that he really wants to go see ! Or is that lame? lol

Guys are easy to please so keep it simple and something fun he likes to do....you know like take him to a strip club!!! Ha Ha just kidding.

Dinner at a place you know he will love like a really nice steak house and then that movie he wants to see. Since he is 24 a video game is risky unless you can ask his buddies which one he wants and the new release's are pricey. There are really fun indoor Go Kart tracks all of the place now too.

Keep it light and fun and you can't go wrong.

Lost

He does play video games! But it doesn't feel like a very "personal" gift and I have no idea which game he would like! I sadly found out the tickets for the movie aren't available yet and won't be until about 2 weeks AFTER his birthday! Do you think it would be okay if I got him a card, dinner and a small gift and just tell him that we're seeing the movie when it comes out and that i'll pay for the tickets - as a late birthday gift - or should I get him tickets to another movie he might like? Which would be best?

A card and dinner is a good start. Leave the movie for another time and just surprise him with it in a few weeks, remember this is going to be a fun date not sitting in the dark watching a movie.

What does he like to do? Sports? Cars? Fishing? Camping? Hiking? Does he like the beach or mountains?

Here are a few ideas that come to mind a guy might like:

Indoor rock climbing

Indoor Archery

Bowling

Gun Range

Shooting Pool

Any of these will not set you back to much $$$ but will be memorable. Then you can go to dinner after.

I am sure no matter what you do for him he will love it!

Lost

But it doesn't feel like a very "personal" gift
You're thinking like a woman. You gotta stop that. There's nothing "personal" about the food processor my girlfriend got me, but I'll be damned if it's not my favorite gift I've ever gotten.

But if you don't know what game he'd like, don't stab at it. You know he likes the movie. Buy the tickets for the later date and treat him to dinner for his birthday.

Don't think too much about it. You know the movie he wants to see, so keep it simple.

I can confirm Dude logic.

When my husband and I dated for our first three months, his first gift he ever got me was a small toolkit. Not flowers, stuffed animals, jewelry, chocolate, or goddamn tickets to see the latest band. He was simply thinking like a dude, observing me do "dude things" (I like tinkering with American Muscles), and really thought I could use my own toolkit than borrowing my daddy's. He was seeing gift giving as a practicality than sentimental.

I still got my toolkit today. I have to give it to him... The roses wouldn't have lasted.

Mugs are lame and redundant- even office workers know this. Please don't listen to your friend on that one *shudder*

I second a meal. Men LOVE a good meal. Meals and Netflix movie time never gets old.

I can confirm Dude logic.

When my husband and I dated for our first three months, his first gift he ever got me was a small toolkit. Not flowers, stuffed animals, jewelry, chocolate, or goddamn tickets to see the latest band. He was simply thinking like a dude, observing me do "dude things" (I like tinkering with American Muscles), and really thought I could use my own toolkit than borrowing my daddy's. He was seeing gift giving as a practicality than sentimental.

I still got my toolkit today. I have to give it to him... The roses wouldn't have lasted.

Mugs are lame and redundant- even office workers know this. Please don't listen to your friend on that one *shudder*

I second a meal. Men LOVE a good meal. Meals and Netflix movie time never gets old.

It hurts my soul just a tiny bit to buy flowers. It was actually a disclaimer I gave leading into this relationship now. "I don't mind if you like them and buy them for you, but I just can't do it. I'll buy you chocolates all day, just don't ask for flowers."

I got it down to a science now. I give three gifts. One purely functional (slim, high quality travel thermos that can fit in her wallet purse), a combination of pretty and functional (pair of matching hand-painted wine glasses), and a piece of jewelry... just because you gotta. Luckily, she's an odd duck and actually prefers low-to-mid range stuff and I'm not compelled at all to break the bank.

But she would constantly lament on how hard it is to buy gifts for me because if I really want something, I just buy it myself. I simply say, "Just think of anything might make my life easier in any way... and if still nothing comes to mind... there's always socks." I make a big batch of salsa every week and she ended up buying me a nice food-processor set so that I didn't have to chop up all the veggies by hand anymore (at least not as much). She gets it.

Archived