Open Club  ·  40 members

Off Topic

Whatever Happened to.....

Ebullition

"Hermes, look, i'm not singling you out here."

LOL. I should jolly well hope not!!!! HappyBear.

I didn't say a word anyhow I'm an easy-going person and I think I am quite mild. Much of the time I just bite my tongue, and generally try to get to the heart of the matter that any given poster is talking about.

However, there are a group of moderators here, who IMO do a good job. So, I suppose it is their job to pull people up who step over the line.

What I have noticed here (notice a lot of things .L.) is that there are what I think "agents provocateurs" (a polite word for trolls), trolls who disguise as being nice, sensible but who try to stir it up....not in any obvious way.

Just got to remark: And then there are the "cliques" and this is just my take from reading sub-text, who would much rather if no one new came onto this forum.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Hermes, look, i'm not singling you out here."

LOL. I should jolly well hope not!!!! HappyBear.

I didn't say a word anyhow I'm an easy-going person and I think I am quite mild. Much of the time I just bite my tongue, and generally try to get to the heart of the matter that any given poster is talking about.

However, there are a group of moderators here, who IMO do a good job. So, I suppose it is their job to pull people up who step over the line.

What I have noticed here (notice a lot of things .L.) is that there are what I think "agents provocateurs" (a polite word for trolls), trolls who disguise as being nice, sensible but who try to stir it up....not in any obvious way.

Just got to remark: And then there are the "cliques" and this is just my take from reading sub-text, who would much rather if no one new came onto this forum.

Yeah I have noticed the provocateurs, before I realized what it was and that 95% of their posts were provocative, I would often call them out. Then when I realized, I just blocked them.

And I have noticed the cliques too. And I feel that advent of the visible "Thanks" really brought it to light, for me at least. I've often found that some regular posters get "thanked" by friends for posts that are not relevant to the discussion or threads derail onto the problems of someone that is not the OP, and it's supported by the Thanks. I find it annoying. I think, why is this person's post being thanked? They just overtook this thread and now it's all about them.

Just to clear it up it's not that I don't think dating ,getting a date and breaking up are not important ,of course they are. The premise of the site was relationship advice and all things to do with relationships.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, that's why there are subforums for dating, etc here?

Just to add, this is sort of related, I used to enjoy reading the online comments sections for newspapers and magazines. I can't even do it anymore, more of than not they are filled with really nasty comments. It's sad. Not sure why, but it's been on the increase, this over-arching anger or something. I think perhaps there is spillage onto websites like this too.

Psh - ENA is NOTHING compared to comments sections for newspapers and magazines. Those are going the way of YouTube comments, which are the absolute cancer of the internet.

And I have noticed the cliques too. And I feel that advent of the visible "Thanks" really brought it to light, for me at least. I've often found that some regular posters get "thanked" by friends for posts that are not relevant to the discussion or threads derail onto the problems of someone that is not the OP, and it's supported by the Thanks. I find it annoying. I think, why is this person's post being thanked? They just overtook this thread and now it's all about them.

I wish the Thanks would be done away with. I've seen forums where people LITERALLY go through all of their friends' posts and thank every single one. Like it's a contest or something. I had someone do that to me on another forum and asked them to please stop. I don't want to be seen as a platinum member or forum supporter or whatever, either. None of that matters.

Agreed Seymore. Just to ask: what are the comments sections of newspapers and magazines? Do you mean online?

JMO but I think ENA is very light in tone, truly. Better still religion and politics (all to often intertwined) are not allowed in here. And that is a BIG plus.

And who knows, maybe some happy marriages/partnerships emerged between folks who "met" here on ENA?

Agreed Seymore. Just to ask: what are the comments sections of newspapers and magazines? Do you mean online?

JMO but I think ENA is very light in tone, truly. Better still religion and politics (all to often intertwined) are not allowed in here. And that is a BIG plus.

Yep, online. CNN removed a lot of their comments sections because just by looking at it, you'd think the cream of the mentally ill crop hung out there. This place is Sesame Street compared to that.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, that's why there are subforums for dating, etc here?

Psh - ENA is NOTHING compared to comments sections for newspapers and magazines. Those are going the way of YouTube comments, which are the absolute cancer of the internet.

I wish the Thanks would be done away with. I've seen forums where people LITERALLY go through all of their friends' posts and thank every single one. Like it's a contest or something. I had someone do that to me on another forum and asked them to please stop. I don't want to be seen as a platinum member or forum supporter or whatever, either. None of that matters.

What I'm saying though is that dating has taken over the entire forum.

I don't much like the Thanks either. I wanted to remove the option from my profile, or at least hide the Thanks total like you could with the old Rep system, but apparently we can't do either since the change, I haven't been posting or visiting this site as much as I used to.

I see. Don't get CNN.

I'd just like to mention an experience on, of all places, LinkedIn. Never wanted to join (and am no longer there), but was coaxed on there a few years back.

So, there are interest groups on there, and I got on one, which seemed very professional, on a professional topic, what appeared to be well-educated folks, but,...oh my!

People tore into each other, and anyone who remarked (as I did idly one day apropos of nothing) that they were non-religious, these individuals appeared out of nowhere, in addition to the crazies already on there, to hurl abuse. Fundamentalism in all its grandeur, but I tell you really spooky types. And we are talking LinkedIn.....

Not to mention the avalanche every day on there of spammers and scammers.

We have a lot to be grateful for on here....

There was no moderation of any kind on the LinkedIn groups.

I see. Don't get CNN.

I'd just like to mention an experience on, of all places, LinkedIn. Never wanted to join (and am no longer there), but was coaxed on there a few years back.

So, there are interest groups on there, and I got on one, which seemed very professional, on a professional topic, what appeared to be well-educated folks, but,...oh my!

People tore into each other, and anyone who remarked (as I did idly one day apropos of nothing) that they were non-religious, these individuals appeared out of nowhere, in addition to the crazies already on there, to hurl abuse. Fundamentalism in all its grandeur, but I tell you really spooky types. And we are talking LinkedIn.....

Not to mention the avalanche every day on there of spammers and scammers.

We have a lot to be grateful for on here....

There was no moderation of any kind on the LinkedIn groups.

I can't say I'm surprised. When you have a form of social media that's available to anyone, it becomes a cesspool. All it takes is for one person to have an opinion and another person who can neither bite their tongue nor accept that opinions are just that.

IMO Happy. LinkedIn is useless. I wasn't looking for work, but I noticed people being spammed, and scammed (massively) by unknowns looking for a fee upfront to find the LI Members "work", didn't matter what the work area was.

And back then LI itself got hacked or there was some kind of interference, and a lot of unhappy people.

Just to remark, from what I saw on LI, the place is peopled by the far right, beyond far right.

And yeah, comparatively, ENA is a god place. I just remeber it being a bit more inclusive. And welcoming and helpful. My beef is that I wish people could be a little kinder to one another.

They certainly could be. People are quicker to judge than to think first. I haven't made the best decisions in my life but when I got myself in a situation I'd always thought I'd be strong enough to avoid, that's when I realized that you may always THINK you'll be one way, but when it comes down to it, it may not be so easy. And when you're already ashamed of it and come on a forum looking for help, the last thing you need to be reminded of is how bad of a person you are or that you need therapy. Like thanks captain obvious, I never thought of that. It's the worst.

Wondered that too.

Re the cost: just looked at one at random and he charges $2,06 per minute (phone consultation). So one way or another it would be around $100 dollars for an hour.

I know that many posters, in dire straits, do remark that they can't afford such sums. And $100 a session believe me is at the lower end of the scale.....

Wondered that too.

Re the cost: just looked at one at random and he charges $2,06 per minute (phone consultation). So one way or another it would be around $100 dollars for an hour.

I know that many posters, in dire straits, do remark that they can't afford such sums. And $100 a session believe me is at the lower end of the scale.....

I was cherry picking but I found a couple that were closer to $1 a minute, which after insurance is around what I pay.

I saw one online therapist (in U.S.a.) charging $400 a session for psychotherapy, and that would be ongoing.

I hope that includes sessions on learning how to re-manage your finances in order to afford therapy! Sheeesh.

Yep, S. It is severe indeed, but apparently not that unusual, at least in the U.S.A.

But hereabouts it seems fees range from 90 Euro up to 150 euro for the session.

It is very hard, precisely on the people most in need of therapeutic support, but who cannot afford it. I think some psychologists do "pro bono" work, but usually within the environs of a volunteer organization or such.

Archived