Best way to tell someone you're leaving them?

cj78

I've decided that I'm going to tell my husband that I don't plan on being with him forever. I've stayed mainly to give my kids a family but I'm tired of feeling suffocated. I asked him for a divorce last year but he cried and begged me not to. I stayed and tried to see if my feelings changed but they haven't. Now I don't know how to say it without crushing him. Any ideas?

^^^ Came to my mind too when I read the title.

Op: What were/are the issues? How old are you two?

Are you going through menopause? Is he a apathetic dweeb, Do you have a crush on your boss? Is he abusive? What?

After he cried you back, did you not think about getting marriage counselling to help you both learn how to reconnect? Of course you feel the same way now... neither of you appeared to have made any effort to change it.

Have you gone through marriage counseling? Unless he's abusing you or the kids, I hope you'll consider that first.

You can't avoid hurting him. You could use all the softest words in the dictionary or shout out, "Later, boner!" and the result will be pretty much the same. Deservedly or not, your wife and kids leaving you tends to hit you hard.

Yes we went through marriage counseling soon after we got married because he changed soon after. He just allowed himself to be who he is I guess. He was very nice and I don't remember him really criticizing anyone until we got married. He has always adored me and even though I wasn't really attracted to him his nice guy personality helped. We have been married 5 years and I've tried to tell him everything that irritates me about him but you can't change a person. Once I got to really know him I just stopped feeling any attraction towards him and I realize I don't really like him as a person. He's somewhat of an . He makes me feel suffocated and depressed to think I'm stuck with him.

He has always adored me and even though I wasn't really attracted to him his nice guy personality helped
This is why the divorce rate is as high as it is. It could also be one of the reasons why women initiate most of those divorces.

You say you stayed with him to give "your" kids a family. Are they not his children?

Getting a divorce summons from your attorney helps get the conversation going. However first get all the info you need, get your ducks in a row. He doesn't live with you, right?

I don't know how to say it without crushing him. Any ideas?

Archived