1m67, 58kg, and I feel very very skinny

Hello,

Im a 20 year old girl with many insecurities, including the fact that i look about 15.

My body is really skinny, well especially my upper body. My legs look good i guess, but my arms are really small and i have no boobs.

I'm 1m65 (5 foot 4) and 58 kg (127 pounds), which seems to be a normal weight, so i'm really confused and annoyed by my weird body.

when i try to wear feminine clothes to look my age, it just looks really weird in my opinion. i dont know what the problem is, why my upper body does not "grow" and still looks pubescent.

my mother has(had) anorexia so maybe it has something to do with genetics? i dont think i have anorexia myself, i eat ?normally? and im not at all trying to lose weight, if anything im trying to gain !!

thanks in advance for reading and answering

Nagon.

Your weight is fine for your height. I am 5 ft. 5 inches, and weigh in at 127 pounds now. I wouldn't describe myself as skinny. Slim, yes.

What I would suggest is a a strong training programme to sculpt the body, improve muscle tone, including the pectorals. At your age you can undertake anything, whichever type of exercise you prefer. You will be amazed at the improvement, for sure.

There is this strange emphasis these times on breasts that look like outsize melons. Be glad you have the figure you have!

That is not too skinny. Try not to mimic your mother's body neurosis. Stay fit, eat well and perhaps get counselling if you are talking to your mother too much about body shapes etc.

I'm 1m65 (5 foot 4) and 58 kg (127 pounds), which seems to be a normal weight

Your weight is in the lower half of the normal range for your height - by the way you are 5'5" not 5'4" - but if you would like to fill out, you should look into weight-bearing exercise. Putting on arm, shoulder and back muscle (make sure you eat enough) will make you look less "skinny" up top, and it's good exercise for your health too.

Many stores also have free personal shoppers on staff who can help you find flattering clothes to suit your body. Some shapes and cuts are much more flattering on certain body types than others.

Your weight is in the lower half of the normal range for your height - by the way you are 5'5" not 5'4" - but if you would like to fill out, you should look into weight-bearing exercise. Putting on arm, shoulder and back muscle (make sure you eat enough) will make you look less "skinny" up top, and it's good exercise for your health too.

Many stores also have free personal shoppers on staff who can help you find flattering clothes to suit your body. Some shapes and cuts are much more flattering on certain body types than others.

just realized there was a typo in the title, but in my message i write 1m65 which is 5'4. thats a 21.8 bmi so i dont think its lower half

but thanks for the answer

Talk to a therapist about body issues and obsessions, particularly if you are still living with your mother and/or being exposed to distorted thinking, because as you know this is about what's in your head, not in the mirror or on a scale.

1m65 which is 5'4. thats a 21.8 bmi

you're eating normally, your weight is fine, your body shape is fine and god knows boobs of all sizes are fine- they're boobs after all.

your insecurities are what might be a problem, you do sound overly focused on your body. i share the hunch that it might be your mum's disorder influence. she may have recovered from the dietary manifestations of anorexia but the psychological profile and accompanying disturbance is notorious for it's rigidity. therapists complain about spending years trying to restructure the dysfunctions of an eating disorder's pt's personality- and failing more often then with personality disordered patients. it's possible she is still overly focused on body shape/size or food.

read Tassaya Ruangsri, Domenico Cosenza, C Philip Wilson, Em Farrell.

the substratum eating disorders arise from is incredibly complex and it'll continue to show, cognitively- emotionally- behaviorally, sometimes even in pts who have spent years in treatment.

the mother daughter relationship is considered the major contributing factor in all EDs.

if you really cannot stop feeling like there is something somatically wrong with you, it would be wise to see a therapist to prevent serious disorders from developing.

I am like you body wise. I wasn't very comfortable about my body in the last decade but I have learned to accept it. For me it took emphasizing something about my appearance I did like. And then from there I went on to accept my "flaws." One thing I didn't like about my body one of my friends liked(the grass in always greener). It does take awhile to get comfortable in your own skin. One good thing about having small boobs is that we will sag less when we get older lol!

You are not too skinny. I'm 5'7" and 120lb on a good day, though I struggle with falling underweight. I agree that you should look into strenght training to sculpt your body, it'll help you fill out in the right places, and you'll be strong, which is way more important anyway. I have tiny A cups, and I love that I can get away with not having to wear bras all the time, nor deal with the chronic back pain and expensive special bras that my larger busted friends have to deal with.

I also agree that your mother might negatively influence you about your body, therapy does sound like a good idea.

Archived