Hello, I'm new here. Romantic relationships weren't something I thought about until recently, as I never go looking for them so this is all pretty new to me. I don't really know how the whole relationship thing works

For context, I'm 20 and there's a guy I started talking to (he's 21) over a year ago (in 2015), and we live 80 miles apart. We first became internet friends after bonding over our tastes in music and art, and have been speaking everyday since we started.

After a few months of talking he came to visit me for a week and had a great time. We laughed so much. On the night before he went home, we kissed.

I then went to visit him a couple of weeks later and also had a great time there. This time there was a bit more kissing and cuddling. Regardless of this, we hadn't really established what our relationship was.

We're a year on now, and the most recent visit was 2 weeks ago. We only planned a couple of days, but he extended his stay and invited me to go back with him for a few days. During this time we have become even closer and he has said that he loves me a few times. He hugs, kisses and holds hands with me in public however we're still worried about being 'caught' by parents and family.

When we're apart he always says he misses me, and sends me pictures of his day which makes us feel closer, especially with the distance between us. I also do the same. We FaceTime regularly too.

We haven't really spoken about being in a committed relationship, although I would like to be.

I just need some advice about what to do next. Should I ask him about our relationship? Or should I wait to see what happens? I've never felt this way about anyone before so it's kind of scary and confusing. We're both very shy people which might be the barrier, I don't know.

Any advice or anecdotes will be much appreciated.

Yes, talk to him about this. What's the worst that can happen?

I suppose the worst that can happen is that he'll say no. Although all the signs say yes. I'm just gonna have to muster up the courage to do it. He's a great person and I just don't want it to be awkward and lose him as a friend, I guess.

Thank you

I suppose the worst that can happen is that he'll say no. Although all the signs say yes. I'm just gonna have to muster up the courage to do it. He's a great person and I just don't want it to be awkward and lose him as a friend, I guess.

Thank you

If he says no, it may suck. But at least you'll know where it's headed, and have the ability to extricate yourself from the situation. If you lose him as a friend, it will also suck, but what kind of friend would he have really been, anyway?

If he says no, it may suck. But at least you'll know where it's headed, and have the ability to extricate yourself from the situation. If you lose him as a friend, it will also suck, but what kind of friend would he have really been, anyway?

That's very true!

Thanks again

Why are you worried about being "caught" by family and friends?

I'm not exactly sure. We both get a bit jumpy about being caught hugging or whatever.

I suppose it's the thing about being asked questions and not knowing how to answer, as we haven't had 'the talk'

Archived