Indecisions

cupcake22

Yes, I'm worried about adjusting and making friends, being away for 6 months seems like a long time. Also, it's hard for me to know if I will enjoy it as much as I think I will. I feel a lot of pressure.

What are you doing now? Will you be missing out on good opportunities at home or taking a big financial or career risk by going?

Have you traveled to a foreign country and culture before?

I grew up moving across continents and have traveled, studied and lived abroad as an adult. My perspective is that 6 months is really a short time, in a great way! It's long enough to get a good feel for the place and really get to know the local culture and language, but it's short enough that everything is still exotic and exciting, and you don't get too frustrated with the flaws of the place that's receiving you. It's the perfect amount of time to have a positive experience because you don't have to deal with the rollercoaster of emotions that comes with permanently moving abroad and making peace with how different things are from home ... because you know you'll have all the comforts of home in just a few months. I just traveled with my fiance for almost 5 and a half months, and though it seemed like a long time at the beginning, in the end we felt like time had flown by.

Will you have local support from your organization, and will you be working with a mix of foreign and local colleagues (or one or the other)? Will you be sharing housing with any colleagues? Usually, if a bunch of strangers get thrown into a situation together, they end up bonding, so my guess is that you'll find it quite easy to get along with your cohort and will have an instant social group there. It doesn't matter if they aren't your #1 favorite people - as long as they are friendly and pleasant, you can have quite a good time with them.

Costa Rica has a wonderful vibe - the jungle and wildlife makes it feel exotic, but most of the country is really quite modern and developed compared to others in the region. It's also very safe compared to some of its neighbors. Though I have yet to visit a country where the locals, in general, were NOT friendly, I have to say that Costa Ricans are very friendly and laid-back, and I think it will be easy for you to make friends with locals too.

Do you speak Spanish?

Cupcake.

When are you scheduled to leave on this trip?

Going by your other many threads I gather that you suffer anyhow (trip or no trip) from very severe anxiety and other issues.

You headed one thread : "I like being a doormat".

"I wanted to know if anyone else feels this way. I am happiest when I am living to make someone else happy. I make my SO the center of my life and will do anything to keep them. All I want in life is to have a husband and family. I have no ambition to have a career, I just want to be a house wife."

So, what's it to be, Cupcake?

Sophie. I am on the same page as you and my life would have been rather like yours. So you and I are a different kettle of fish to the OP.

My parents first sent me abroad when I was 17, for four months. And, I never looked back lol.

Cupcake.

When are you scheduled to leave on this trip?

Going by your other many threads I gather that you suffer anyhow (trip or no trip) from very severe anxiety and other issues.

You headed one thread : "I like being a doormat".

"I wanted to know if anyone else feels this way. I am happiest when I am living to make someone else happy. I make my SO the center of my life and will do anything to keep them. All I want in life is to have a husband and family. I have no ambition to have a career, I just want to be a house wife."

So, what's it to be, Cupcake?

Yes I have lots of anxiety, however, I think that post was from like 3 years ago.

Archived