Open Club  ·  29 members  ·  Free

Journals

I was at a job center in order to obtain national insurance number the previous week. The lady conducting my interview was asking me personal details and at some point she asked me if I am married. She chuckled instantly when she saw my facial expression because I was about to burst into laughter. Women always laugh when they ask me this question. I mean I find the idea of me being married sooooo hilarious that I just laugh when I think about it. Of course my face betrays me and this is why women chuckle too. Hahaha.

Things have settled down and now it’s just daily routine. It’s nice here and the weather is good enough. It’s cloudy, it rarely rains but it’s getting colder now. Some days it’s sunny which is really really nice. I meet people who lived in North England and the general consensus is that the North is way more rainy and cloudy but the nature there is more beautiful than here. I guess North England and Scotland have these “Lord of the rings” mountains and stuff. The North is also cheaper compared to the South. In truth, Essex is one of the most expensive regions of England according to Wikipedia.

Back in Greece, one of our neighbors is English and paradoxically from Essex. His mother lives in Essex and she asked him to come and see her but he doesn’t want to leave Greece. When my parents told him that I told them the weather is nice, he replied “ Yes sure but I don’t believe what people say” Hahahaha.

Although I like it here and I like English, I am starting to miss the sun. I didn’t believe that I would miss the sun that much, probably because I have never stayed for a long time somewhere not sunny. I admit that sometimes it’s really hot in Greece but even with this parameter I prefer hot weather. San Diego has the best weather all year round, yeah, I could live in San Diego. Here though, I have to wear 3 layers before going for a stroll and walking is not very pleasant.

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Amazing weather today! My last two weeks in Liverpool! Can't really believe it! Who would have known....Never in my life would I have imagined myself in Liverpool. London sure but Liverpool? I just kn

I asked kamurj to delete my account as I wanted to focus on work. It seems you can't delete your account so here I am again lol My intuition was right! I came back to Liverpool three weeks a

There is magic in this world, it's called nature 🙂  Birkenhead (the town on the other side of the river) during sunset!

Posted Images

I am starting to miss the sun. I didn’t believe that I would miss the sun that much, probably because I have never stayed for a long time somewhere not sunny. I admit that sometimes it’s really hot in Greece but even with this parameter I prefer hot weather. San Diego has the best weather all year round, yeah, I could live in San Diego. Here though, I have to wear 3 layers before going for a stroll and walking is not very pleasant.

My mom loves the sun. I think it's a Greek thing.

Sun can have a big impact on mood. I live somewhere that gets very cold and sometimes long winters, but we get plenty of sun year round.

I've seriously considered moving west near the ocean, but the amount of cloudy and rainy days I think would start to get to me. Even though it's so much milder , and I love it there.

I guess it's why the Brits love their tea! Lol Gotta cheer up and stay cozy !

My mom loves the sun. I think it's a Greek thing.

Hahahaha it's a Greek thing for sure but I think it's a Mediterranean thing too. I haven't asked yet but I assume Italians and Spanish feel the same.

Sun can have a big impact on mood. I live somewhere that gets very cold and sometimes long winters, but we get plenty of sun year round.

I've seriously considered moving west near the ocean, but the amount of cloudy and rainy days I think would start to get to me. Even though it's so much milder , and I love it there.

I guess it's why the Brits love their tea! Lol Gotta cheer up and stay cozy !

Yeah, sun is one thing, cold is another. The hierarchy goes like this for me:

1)Sunny and hot

2)Sunny but cold

3)Hot but cloudy

4) Cold and cloudy

5)Cold and cloudy and windy---> This is where you consider anti depressants lol

I love strolling. It's a huge part of my life and when I can't enjoy a walk it has an impact on my mood.

British love their tea indeed but I think they love Australia and NZ more!!

Does it rain a lot in Southern Cali? You could move there! I guess you say about Oregon or Washington...

hahaha HAHAHAH hahahah HAHAHAHAH you did well not to comment my darling

Hahaha kids may read this thread. It would have been too hardcore. But I bet you know what I had on my mind

Oh yes sure you do! ! You are Pippy Longstocking after all !!!

Hahaha kids may read this thread. It would have been too hardcore. But I bet you know what I had on my mind

Oh yes sure you do! ! You are Pippy Longstocking after all !!!

I had a good guess believe me haha gonna have a little read of your life now anyway ..I didnt see before yesterday that you had a journal .

I had a good guess believe me haha gonna have a little read of your life now anyway ..I didnt see before yesterday that you had a journal .

What I have written in this journal is product of my imagination. In reality, I work at the Secret Intelligence Service but don't tell anyone, it will be our little secret.

How are you finding the UK ?

Depends on the day. If it's sunny I find it nice, if it's cold and windy I stay inside and study hahahahaha.

Joking aside, I've only seen a very tiny part of London, Southend on sea and some small towns nearby. London is cool, the other small towns are nice and picturesque but Southend hmmmm, after a month it starts to get boring.

If I stay here after graduation I guess I will be somewhere between London and Birmingham where the jobs are. It will be better!

Depends on the day. If it's sunny I find it nice, if it's cold and windy I stay inside and study hahahahaha.

Joking aside, I've only seen a very tiny part of London, Southend on sea and some small towns nearby. London is cool, the other small towns are nice and picturesque but Southend hmmmm, after a month it starts to get boring.

If I stay here after graduation I guess I will be somewhere between London and Birmingham where the jobs are. It will be better!

I have never been to Southend but it has a very special meaning to me ...my darling friend passed away in September and that is where he lived

I love London , I just like diversity of it ...I feel like you can be who you want to be in London . I don't actually live there , I know my profile says London , when I joined here I was trying to be anonymous hahah but I am not far away .

I also saw you like scenery ? Is that as a photographer or an admirer , my happiest time is with my camera in my hand .

I have never been to Southend but it has a very special meaning to me ...my darling friend passed away in September and that is where he lived

I love London , I just like diversity of it ...I feel like you can be who you want to be in London . I don't actually live there , I know my profile says London , when I joined here I was trying to be anonymous hahah but I am not far away .

I also saw you like scenery ? Is that as a photographer or an admirer , my happiest time is with my camera in my hand .

Yeah I adore nature. If you read the section with Photography/Poetry you will find some pictures taken in Southend (last ones). I love photography, but my schedule is a bit hectic and I don't have enough time to travel.

At Christmas though I will visit London and loiter for a whole day.

Yeah I adore nature. If you read the section with Photography/Poetry you will find some pictures taken in Southend (last ones). I love photography, but my schedule is a bit hectic and I don't have enough time to travel.

At Christmas though I will visit London and loiter for a whole day.

ok I will have a look ....lolling at the loitering in london ...I like to loiter at Camden market

Dias:

"She was Irish. Makes sense, lovely lady=Irish lady. But I think I have already mentioned that Irish are my favorites. "

Thank you Dias. Love you too!!

It is mutual

• 2 weeks later...

I read this article about Jack Ma

Then I read his bio in wikipedia. What surprises me is his early career:

"The Chinese entrance exams are held only once a year and it took Ma four years to pass. After that,[19] Ma attended Hangzhou Teacher's Institute[20] (currently known as Hangzhou Normal University) and graduated in 1988 with a B.A. in English"

Then Jack Ma applied for 30 different jobs and got rejected by all. "I went for a job with the police; they said, 'you're no good,'" Ma told interviewer Charlie Rose. "I even went to KFC when it came to my city. Twenty-four people went for the job. Twenty-three were accepted. I was the only guy..."

So as we can see he wasn't even the "average" guy. Much below average with the society's "standards" .... But:

In 1994, Ma heard about the Internet. In early 1995, he went to the US and with his friends they helped him get introduced to the Internet. During his first encounter he searched the word "beer". Although he found information related to beer from many countries, he was surprised to find none from China. Further, he tried to search for general information about China and again was surprised to find none. So he and his friend created an "ugly" website related to China.[26] He launched the website at 9:40 AM and by 12:30 PM he had received emails from some Chinese wishing to know about him. This is when Ma realized that the Internet had something great to offer. In April 1995, Ma, his wife and a friend went around, asked for USD 20,000, and started their first company. Their company was dedicated to creating websites for companies. He named their company "China Yellow Pages." Within three years, his company had made 5,000,000 Chinese Yuan which was equivalent to USD 800,000

Now, I seriously can't imagine how this can happen. I get that Bill Gates or Zuckerberg were nerds and pretty competent programmers but this guy without even basic background, he made millions from online businesses.

And I am thinking about me doing a MSc, spending money and time, only to find a junior data scientist job(because my work experience as a developer doesn't count-how ed up is that) somewhere in this world(literally speaking here). How dumb can I be?

Yeah, don't answer the last question hahaha

That actually happens quite often: the visionary is not the technician. Unfortunately, not every visionary makes billions!

True. I don't believe in luck but sometimes I think luck plays a role(right timing etc).

Today it was a sunny day. I got out of the building gloomy but after some minutes in the sunshine a smile was drawn on my face haha

The Chinese girls in the flat try to persuade me to find a job in China. They have some friends who work as recruiters for big IT companies in Shanghai.

What I will do after the exams will be to send my CV all over Western, Eastern Europe and China and take the first job with relatively satisfactory salary. Starting again as a junior, I don't have the luxury to pick or wait. I am really curious where I will end up! But i will always miss the sun of Mediterranean if I end up somewhere else

As I get older it’s becoming more obvious: I can’t stand other males around me. Basically I prefer to only converse with girls if it is possible. Unless it’s a close friend, my brother or my father I just don’t want to talk to anyone else.

I don’t f*cking care if you got a new tattoo, if you went to the club, if you find the course difficult or if you put weight easily (my personal favorite –complaining about putting weight easily while eating junk food). It took 2 months for my roommates to get it. They got it now.

They told me I am very introvert. Dude really? I am a loner and I don’t like having roommates but seriously why the hell should I feel happy waking up and seeing your face in the kitchen? Unless you are a girl, I don’t want to see your ugly face. Just f*ck off.

My dad asked me if I continue working out. I assume he said it just to say something, he knows that I will stop working out only if I am dead. I am in the best shape of my life to be honest.

It’s such a long journey…. I was slightly overweight as a teenager, not much, just 20-25 lib more than I should but it was enough to be called fat at school. When I started university I started doing cardio. A lot of cardio. 10-20 km everyday. It led to exhaustion after a year but I lost a ton of fat. But I lost every bit of muscle I had and I don’t have a lot by nature. My body type is the worst. A combination between an endomorph and an ectomorph. I gain muscle very slowly(only with very strict diet) and I gain fat very easily. It took me 4 years of hitting the gym, reading a ton of books about regimes, training etc to learn to workout correctly. I wasted 4 years hitting the gym like crazy without any significant result because I didn’t know what I was doing. Theoretically I knew everything since I had read a lot but in practice I sucked. Then, from 23 till now(will be 26 in a few days) I spent 6 months doing only strength training, 1.5 years doing calisthenics and 1.4 years lifting weights. So it’s almost 3.5 years of serious training.

Serious training for me comprises three parts:

-Strict diet: 2 grams of protein per kg from meat or dairy products, vegetables, fruits and 500 calories from carbohydrates. The problem is how to consume 2 grams of protein per kg. That’s difficult. Back home, I used to eat 1,3 kg of Greek strained low fat yogurt. Yes 1,3 kg per day. Here yogurt is more expensive so I eat 0.5 kg of yogurt and 4 scoops of protein powder per day. If you don’t have the right diet, just don’t expect results. You will never have. Period.

-Knowing what you are doing in the gym: machines are crap compared to free weights. Squat is the most important exercise I think. And I always avoided squats because there are difficult. Wrong. It’s just a habit like everything else in this world.

-Training frequency: Too much volume is very common mistake. I over-trained for years. The key is to train smart and have patience. That was the most difficult part for me. Working out more doesn’t mean you gain muscle faster. But I guess everyone has to undergo this step to learn……Now I only work out 3 times per week and every workout is about 1 hour and 15 minutes. So basically I spend very little time working out. Patience is the key. I am the most impatient person on earth and I can’t stand waiting but this is how things work. What can you do….

I need 4-5 years of training to get the physique I want but step by step I will get there. Now the slim guys of high school are fat and I am fit. Life changes huh? I am not the “big” muscly guy and I will never achieve what a mesomorph can achieve but I am very content with my transformation. I never listened to trainers in my life. I figured it out on my own, by trial and error. This is the technique I follow on every aspect of my life, trial and error.

I laugh when guys on youtube(most of them with steroids) say you can get a six pack in 1-2 years. Unless you are a genetic freak, you cannot. Even for true mesomorphs it needs at least 3-4 years of serious training. But who would listen to someone who says that you need 5 years of serious training and strict diet to get the ideal body. You cannot sell this way. I understand these trainers. A relative strict diet and training for 3 months before the summer combined with creatine and other supplements and you have your six pack. This is how you get clients and make money.

This is how I am now, nothing spectacular but for me it was a great achievement.

That's great, dias. Keep up the good work! It'll be even better down the road, when you still look youthful and feel energetic.

My boyfriend is one of those genetic six-pack freaks you speak of. All he has to do is lose weight and they come out. lol

• Like 1