Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

A day in the life

dias

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, Dias, agreeing with you here:

""You have to see your partner's family, maybe they have mental/health issues, hereditary diseases you have to know, you both have to get tested whether you can have kids in the first place. I mean that's basic logic."

"

Thanks for clarifying. She is actually Greek. From your post I thought that as he met her in the U.S.A. she was from somewhere else, or indeed from within the U.S.

Wholly agree with you on this:

"there is a basic checklist you have to go through before you get married if you take marriage seriously.

"

Anyhow, for the newly-weds:

Βίον ανθόσπαρτον

So. Many. Pullups... Impressive!

I have tendinitis now, from watching that.

it took 12 hours in total. 3 hours of filming in the morning and 9 hours learning to edit videos (just the basics of course)..... The process is fun but very very time consuming.

I figured it must be time consuming, but yikes!

Nice video, though. Looks like great weather. And what a beautiful, quiet beach! Which we had those in Jersey....

We have some female graduates/placement students joining the team. Most of them studied math, I have to say I am (very) positively surprised because 1)they didn't choose the traditional marketing route 2)some of them are very good looking. We are transitioning from the "stem girls with moustache" to "stem models". I like it, we need more (hot)women in stem fields.

The new generations are making a difference!

Data Science ≠ Dias

Data Science Dias

Data Science != Dias

Dias – Data Science -> not a match

Data Science – Swipe left – Dias

Data Science – unrequited love – Dias

Dias unlucky in career life

I didn’t pass to the next round of interviews in this job in London. They don’t give feedback, too many candidates to provide feedback. Neither do I want to ask. “You are not our cup of tea” is not constructive feedback. I have some acquaintances who are data engineers/scientists and have worked with me in the past and they don’t believe me “Come on, you are kidding right?”. Well, nobody gives me a chance. Ever. I’ve been applying for this position 3+ years now everywhere (even in China – some Chinese girls I met in my master’s degree work as recruiters in Beijing). I receive 5 rejections per day. How do you explain you are just unlucky?

Sometimes I feel it’s like trying to fit together two pieces of a puzzle which don’t fit in the first place. On paper, I have the best CV for this position, I have used all the people I know in the UK, Greece and Poland. Do we actually choose our jobs or do the jobs choose us? Because for me it’s the latter and I feel like I have no say. So where do you draw the line? When do you stop chasing and when do you continue chasing? I will be 29 next month, I am pondering about this hypothetical career I could have, it’s not really about the money is it? You will never make serious money with a regular job. It is more about believing you have a long term goal that would lead “somewhere” and fill this hole inside of you. And we baptize making a living as career like it means something. Whatever, everything is on our mind….

I wrote down the things I’ve already been doing for a very long time and I really enjoy. They are not many:

1) Exercising, I really love exercising. Problem is, I could never become a professional athlete no matter how much I wanted to. Lacking the good genetics. I could become a personal trainer, I have thought about this a lot. Then I see personal trainers at the gym, they are actually therapists, they just listen to the clients babbling while pretending they are exercising…Besides, personal trainers shouldn’t exist in the first place, people use them for motivation. If you are a professional athlete, yes you need a personal trainer but the average Joe hires a personal trainer because he does not want to walk/run 45 minutes per day. Do I want to become a gym therapist?

2) Photography. I love photography too. Can you really make enough money to sustain yourself as a photographer? I mean the photographers who can make a living are wedding (or other events) photographers. I only like landscape photography but I don’t think it pays the rent. Please don’t tell me about the 0.1% who makes a living this way.

3) Travelling. This is very obvious I think. Combine it with photography and it’s the dream. I have the “exploration streak”, I am very inquisitive and I have a ton of imagination. My heart is jumping every time I watch a ship leaving the harbour. I love harbours, one of the reasons I like Liverpool. When the weather is good, I spend quite some time watching the sea and the boats. Sometimes I think I will whistle at the guys on the boats to take me with them and travel the seven seas. What adventures of Huckleberry Finn floating down Mississippi – Dias’ adventures floating down Mersey River. Or maybe I will float down Mississippi at some point in my life, I had it on my bucket list when I was a kid. Should I try http://www.workaway.info? It would be a good experiment for trying this nomadic lifestyle.

4) When I was in my late teens I wanted to go to the merchant navy but my parents didn’t let me. Then I forgot it…We were talking with the guys at work the other day before the coronavirus and we were trying to guess what the best profession for each other would be. I told them I love ships and travelling and they said they could imagine me as a translator in a ship or something like this. Yes I think it would fit me perfectly. You can make a living and travel simultaneously. I am loner too so this aspect wouldn't affect me much. Besides, I am Greek, shipping it’s the only thing we are good at, it’s natural to gravitate towards navigation & shipping. I am seriously thinking about a career change toward the merchant navy. Problem is, I can’t do this in Greece as the age limit to go to the merchant navy school is 23. I can do it in England but I need to hold UK residency for one year at least which means I need another 2-3 years in the UK. I can wait, I can keep applying for a data science job till then and if nothing happens then I can enrol to the merchant navy.

My brain froze and I don’t know what I wanted to write…. I will continue later.

Then I see personal trainers at the gym, they are actually therapists, they just listen to the clients babbling while pretending they are exercising…Besides, personal trainers shouldn’t exist in the first place, people use them for motivation. If you are a professional athlete, yes you need a personal trainer but the average Joe hires a personal trainer because he does not want to walk/run 45 minutes per day. Do I want to become a gym therapist?

LOL.... raises hand.... I love me a personal trainer. It's not that I hate exercise, though. I just like to be pushed. I need to be pushed. I like when I'm lifting weights and the trainer decides to add weight. Then I have to deal with it. Why do I like that? I don't know... maybe something to do with achievement.

The therapist thing... I can see how that can happen.

I think the guy that I have now wants to be a therapist. Seems like a real empath. Sometimes he asks (what I consider to be) probing questions and I just want to tell him, "Everything's ok with me, really. Don't worry!"

I think it comes with the territory a little. It's his business. He has to take care of his clients.

But the very first personal trainer I had, I was more of his therapist than he was mine.

Now that I think about it, that therapist dynamic has only come into play with male trainers. Could it actually be a gender dynamic? Both female trainers I had were much more down to business.

Most sports are driven and supported mostly by amateurs, so I wouldn't knock that. Heck, the Olympics are supposed to be amateur only....even if that's not how it works out in practice and not that long ago this rule was changed to allow pros to compete officially.

That said, my personal observation is that successful coaches/trainers have a set approach and program and either you fit into that or you don't. If you fit in, you'll have a lot of success with that trainer and if you don't, you need to find a training program that does fit. What I'm saying is that various trainers dictate the approach. So if you want to play therapist or flirt with your clients, that's your call. If you want to be more goal oriented and professional, that's your call. You'll attract the clientele according to your approach to training.

A good friend of mine built a 6 figure business training. His approach is actually strictly for the hardcore people and it costs $$$$. Granted it took years to get there and to build up the following to where he could start licensing other trainers in his methods and so on. Nowadays he only keeps a few high profile clients that he trains personally and most of his time is spent on seminars bringing other trainers along their certification courses.

Basically, you can turn your passion into a business.

My brain froze and I don’t know what I wanted to write…. I will continue later.

5)Strangely enough, I enjoy door to door sales. I don't know if "enjoy" is the right word since getting rejected (sometimes very rudely) is not enjoyable whatsoever but I get some sort of satisfaction. Especially when I close the deal. The feeling I got when I managed to persuade the first couple of restaurants to use my app was something else. And I gave it for free, imagine if I earned money. It is true what salesmen say: "closing a deal is like ejaculating". Damn, I think it's more like ejaculating whilst sniffing cocaine and eating junk food simultaneously. Too bad all the good moments last only for a few seconds at a time hahaha God or whatever you are up there, I have to say you made many mistakes mate. This feeling should last for hours or days! Never mind, you know now for the next Earth.

By the way, I fixed the bug on the iOS and the latest version was approved by Apple's stupid reviewers. Yay! It's a marathon to publish a new version on Applestore, they always find something they don't like. Maybe I am a hypocrite for judging them but they are still a**holes.

6) Live on a boat like this. Damn, they even raise a kid on a boat. How awesome is this? How awesome for the kid too. Awesome parents, awesome kids.

I just like to be pushed. I need to be pushed.

Now that I think about it, that therapist dynamic has only come into play with male trainers. Could it actually be a gender dynamic? Both female trainers I had were much more down to business.

If you think about it the whole fitness industry is based on this "need" or to put it more accurately: the willingness of people to pay for this need (want is much better word in this case). You don’t actually need anyone to train hard.

It could be a gender dynamic to a degree. I sure have a little more patience with women so yeah…(just a little though, I don’t like babysitting)

My observation is that the most effective workout programs for women are the traditional aerobics classes. Not because they are the best training-wise but because they are the only training programs most women actually stick to. There are two main principles to consider when you create training programs for women:

1) Programs can’t be repetitive otherwise they find it boring and lose motivation

2) Programs need to have some high intensity exercises, if women are not perspiring they don’t consider it a worthy workout.

This is why CrossFit became so popular with women despite the fact it includes weight lifting (with atrocious form....)

Are aerobics classes bad? No, I think it’s a pretty decent workout routine for women. If anything, it is much more effective than half-as*ing weight lifting exercises + it burns more calories + it’s good for your heart.

I am always talking about the average female I see in the gyms, not professional athletes, not fitness addicts, not models etc.

I've always preferred weight lifting. I love it. I always get compliments on my form, and that is because I learned it from using trainers. But I do have a tendency to over-train.... I guess it's sort of due to that no-pain-no-gain principle that you referred to. I've found that while trainers do push me, they also know when to stop.

I enrolled in aerobics and boot camp classes mainly because I wanted a workout 'fix' without having to put any thought into it. Yes, the sweating made it feel like I was doing something. But these classes are no longer for me because they tend to be high impact. There's a wonderful high that comes after completing a high impact workout (like running), but my joints can't take it anymore.

I've always preferred weight lifting. I love it. I always get compliments on my form, and that is because I learned it from using trainers. But I do have a tendency to over-train.... I guess it's sort of due to that no-pain-no-gain principle that you referred to. I've found that while trainers do push me, they also know when to stop.

I enrolled in aerobics and boot camp classes mainly because I wanted a workout 'fix' without having to put any thought into it. Yes, the sweating made it feel like I was doing something. But these classes are no longer for me because they tend to be high impact. There's a wonderful high that comes after completing a high impact workout (like running), but my joints can't take it anymore.

Glad to hear you love weight lifting :) Hopefully you don't take the no pain no gain quote literally as some people. You don't have to give 100% every time anyway...

Personal trainers are fine for a few months when you are a beginner to learn the proper form and the basic stuff. What nobody seems to mention in the fitness industry is all these programs and diets do not matter if you don't consistently exercise for life. Although I do understand why nobody says it; who wants results in 5 years ? lol

I hear you. My joints do hurt when I run. Today I broke my personal record, I ran 20km (with some 1-2 minutes breaks in between) and walked another 12 or 13 km*. Two hours jogging/running and two hours and 15 minutes walking. I was limping at some point lol. My muscles and my heart were fine but my joints killed me. I believe I can do a marathon within 4 hours if I practice a bit more. Endurance is my strength, I can do long distance races. Conversely, I am lousy when it comes to power, strength and explosiveness (this is why I can't put on muscle like other people).

It was a beautiful day, summer day. Is there a better way to spend a sunny day than running along the seafront? You feel awesome, you burn calories, you get a nice tan, it’s good for your heart (good for coronavirus too hehe) and you look better. What else do you want? Lol.

High reps in the gym and walking are fine for the joints-at least for me. Everyone has to find his own routine which is sustainable for life and enjoys it. No need for hard-core stuff if you don't like it. Exercising is like sex, it's fun :)

*One time in the summer, I ran for 30 minutes (fast pace) and walked 5 and a half hours along the seafront in Liverpool. I thought I would enter Wales if I continued for a couple more hours lol.

Most sports are driven and supported mostly by amateurs, so I wouldn't knock that. Heck, the Olympics are supposed to be amateur only....even if that's not how it works out in practice and not that long ago this rule was changed to allow pros to compete officially.

That said, my personal observation is that successful coaches/trainers have a set approach and program and either you fit into that or you don't. If you fit in, you'll have a lot of success with that trainer and if you don't, you need to find a training program that does fit. What I'm saying is that various trainers dictate the approach. So if you want to play therapist or flirt with your clients, that's your call. If you want to be more goal oriented and professional, that's your call. You'll attract the clientele according to your approach to training.

A good friend of mine built a 6 figure business training. His approach is actually strictly for the hardcore people and it costs $$$$. Granted it took years to get there and to build up the following to where he could start licensing other trainers in his methods and so on. Nowadays he only keeps a few high profile clients that he trains personally and most of his time is spent on seminars bringing other trainers along their certification courses.

Basically, you can turn your passion into a business.

I've been thinking about what you wrote.

My conclusion is: I still think as a consumer and not as a salesman. No guys would ever hire me because I am not a muscly guy so the clients I could have as a personal trainer would be overweight women who would like to lose weight and get toned. I am fine with this as I was fat in high school, I know how it is and I do know the process pretty well. However, as I mentioned 95% is about sticking to a workout routine for life and have fun. Basically, I would have to sell motivation which is something I have never paid in my life and would never do. When I give money I want to get something "tangible" if that makes sense.

People do pay for motivation though. I have to overcome my erroneous mentality about commerce in general. I never imagined myself as a personal trainer, I believe I could do it as something extra besides my regular job. This or private math/computer science lessons for kids.

Basically, I would have to sell motivation which is something I have never paid in my life and would never do. When I give money I want to get something "tangible" if that makes sense.

Interesting that you think of it as intangible... Right now, you sell an app.* Is that more tangible? Are math and computer science lessons tangible? Is there a difference between an overweight woman getting in shape and a kid understanding a computer science concept?

*I know you're not technically 'selling' it.

Interesting that you think of it as intangible... Right now, you sell an app.* Is that more tangible? Are math and computer science lessons tangible? Is there a difference between an overweight woman getting in shape and a kid understanding a computer science concept?

*I know you're not technically 'selling' it.

Good question. I do see your point.

The app is something tangible. It is a marketing tool. Retailers promote their businesses/deals and users find offers/discounts in their current location. It's an app I would definitely use myself and I would classify it as tangible. It provides (tangible) information. How do you define tangible information though? Hmm... So how I see it: a cooking recipe is tangible information, motivating people to cook this recipe is intangible.

Regarding the difference between an overweight woman getting in shape and a kid understanding a computer science concept, yes, in this case you are right. In both instances you provide intangible services. But again, in every lesson you teach the kids something but you can't stay with them 24/7. After the lesson it's up to them to practice more (the 95% I mentioned). We all had teachers, not everyone was a good student.

There is a thin line between intangible and tangible services. It really depends on the individual. I am pretty certain my opinion is biased as it's a service I wouldn't personally pay for it. If I were a business I would pay for an app (if it was successful of course) like mine though and as a user I would definitely utilize it frequently. So again, it is subjective. This is why I am saying I still think as a consumer.

Random thought 1

I find it so funny when I see tourists in Athens staying and wandering around all the sh*tty neighbourhoods. I understand that as a tourist you visit the most popular touristic places because you don’t know any better. Most tourists in Athens visit the city centre which is basically a cesspool crammed with illegal immigrants and low life Greek parasites. The Acropolis itself is fine but generally speaking the city centre is disgusting. I have two rules I follow to find the nice places in a city I visit the first time:

1) Always follow the money, the best neighbourhoods are where the rich/upper middle class live, especially where the newly rich live as they want to flaunt their money and spend it to make their environment nicer

2) Search for water. Whatever a city has; river, lake, sea… whatever. The waterfront is always better and more beautiful.

Random thought 2

I’ve booked the first flight to Manchester mid-December, hope it won’t get cancelled.

Random thought 3

I just watched on BBC about the public sector pay freeze in the UK. What’s this about? Doesn’t seem good….

Random thought 4

I have an interview on Tuesday with a start-up in London, they are very interested which is a promising sign. I like the job description, the company is extremely new but it seems to be doing well. Many VCs have invested in it although this does not mean much. Whilst I was preparing for the interview this morning and doing some research about the company, I checked where their offices are located and it’s where I lived in North London. It shattered me. I don’t want to go back there (hypothetically speaking - I haven't got the job yet) Too much crime, I don’t want to live in fear. I want to walk without worrying about parasites stabbing me because they didn’t like my face. And I am speaking from personal experience….

Ideally, I would like to find a better job in Liverpool but the opportunities are very limited when it comes to IT. Manchester has more opportunities but it’s not London apparently. A city I would love to move would be Brighton in the south. Sea + good jobs + better weather + not crowded like London. I have heard nice things about Bristol too. Basically everywhere that has sea, relatively good weather and good jobs is fine with me. Am I asking for too much? I guess… I am not asking for hot women anymore, I have lowered my standards, how much do I have to compromise in this life? hahahahahaha

Search for water. Whatever a city has; river, lake, sea… whatever. The waterfront is always better and more beautiful.

Not in Newark, LOL! Actually, the northern coast of NJ, and the coasts of Jersey City, Manhattan, Staten Island, and Brooklyn around the mouth of the Hudson are pretty dismal (unless you have a weird interest in industrial landscapes, like me). But you are very lucky... I was surprised at how beautiful the waterfront at Liverpool was. Heavy industry and manufacturing didn't ruin it.

Not in Newark, LOL! Actually, the northern coast of NJ, and the coasts of Jersey City, Manhattan, Staten Island, and Brooklyn around the mouth of the Hudson are pretty dismal (unless you have a weird interest in industrial landscapes, like me). But you are very lucky... I was surprised at how beautiful the waterfront at Liverpool was. Heavy industry and manufacturing didn't ruin it.

Actually I had Europe in mind when I wrote it. USA is a different story. It's a really big country, I don't know how things work there, I have only spent a few months on the East Coast and one month in California, I haven't gathered enough information to draw an inference.

If you notice almost all the cities and towns in the US are named after British/European towns. It's fascinating to read who the initial settlers were and how they came up with the name of the town.

Liverpool is quite a unique town. Bear in mind it has a lot of old buildings, many of which have been recently renovated and sold as houses or operate as (mostly retail) businesses. There is a difference between modern industrial buildings and 18/19th century buildings, the latter are way more picturesque and nice.

Based on what I've read in the local newspapers, Liverpool faced very difficult times in the 80s. I heard that at the time Margaret Thatcher favoured the Southern regions and neglected the North. But I am not an accurate and valid source of historical information, if someone here is from the region he could illuminate us.

The waterfront is very pretty, I am telling you, when the weather is good it's fantastic. The old docks are mostly closed but some parts are still working. There are some very pretty renovated luxurious apartments on the dock with beautiful view. Unfortunately, they are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy out of my reach (pocket). I had met many people in London and their opinion about Liverpool was "meh" but for me that I love the sea and the harbours I really like it (except for the weather of course).

It saddens me there are no good IT jobs there. If I stay at this company, I have to accept the fact that this is the ceiling career-wise (+ I am throwing my degrees away) and I am staying there for the quality of life. Hence my allusion to a side job as a private tutor or personal trainer....London on the other hand has more potential career-wise. However, I wouldn't like to live there unless I make sh*t ton of money and live in a nice neighbourhood. I guess I have to put my big boys pants on, decide and get my sh*t together now. Big decision to be honest.

So true Dias:

"1) Always follow the money, the best neighbourhoods are where the rich/upper middle class live, especially where the newly rich live as they want to flaunt their money and spend it to make their environment nicer

2) Search for water. Whatever a city has; river, lake, sea… whatever. The waterfront is always better and more beautiful".

European capitals and large cities have undertaken huge urban regeneration schemes, with admirable results, particularly along their riverfronts or waterfronts.

Until now I thought I was the stupid brother...he seems to be realizing the stupidity he made... hope he doesn't take a mortgage or something. Based on something she wrote on social media she confirmed my initial feelings. She is an opportunist. If she were an independent proud woman she wouldn't marry for a visa in the first place. Not that I blame her, stupid people who can't stay alone have a huge need to be taken advantage of. Fingers crossed he doesn't continue making stupid decisions.....

He talked to our cousin who just got divorced and lost his kids, his beautiful house he bought with his own money, property he inherited from his parents and he has to pay alimony for the rest of his life to a woman who never worked in her life until now that he found her a job. The funny thing is, right away he got involved with a divorced woman with three kids. Being a surgeon does not make you smart. It is true, you get what you deserve in life. Life and courts do not forgive stupidity.

Kind of makes me feel better. I am not the stupidest in the family as I thought.

Until now I thought I was the stupid brother...he seems to be realizing the stupidity he made... hope he doesn't take a mortgage or something. Based on something she wrote on social media she confirmed my initial feelings. She is an opportunist. If she were an independent proud woman she wouldn't marry for a visa in the first place. Not that I blame her, stupid people who can't stay alone have a huge need to be taken advantage of. Fingers crossed he doesn't continue making stupid decisions.....

He talked to our cousin who just got divorced and lost his kids, his beautiful house he bought with his own money, property he inherited from his parents and he has to pay alimony for the rest of his life to a woman who never worked in her life until now that he found her a job. The funny thing is, right away he got involved with a divorced woman with three kids. Being a surgeon does not make you smart. It is true, you get what you deserve in life. Life and courts do not forgive stupidity.

Kind of makes me feel better. I am not the stupidest in the family as I thought.

Is he contemplating divorce over a facebook post, or is there more to this story?

Is he contemplating divorce over a facebook post, or is there more to this story?

Hahaha no it has nothing to do with the fb post. His mistake was that he didn't listen to his younger brother. Plethora of decent girls out there, he just don't know how to pick.

I can't really relate to the people who can't stay alone. It must be horrible. When you are so desperate opportunists will exploit you... and you will knowingly compromise because you want some company.

I don't understand why people decide to ignore red flags visible from the next galaxy. Even repetitive tiny red flags are enough to get a glimpse of someone's character. It's not rocket science.

Probably the majority of people of both genders just want a servant at the end of the day....?

Be glad to have you back in the UK dias ....if ...IF ....you manage to get here *sigh

Thank you Pippy :) Yes fingers crossed the flight won't get cancelled last minute.

Hope you are doing well Pippy, you and your family, take care :)

Archived