Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

A day in the life

dias

I am negative including all my other roommates except the Spanish girl. Strange isn't it?

Anyway, the newspaper published the photo I posted before.... Yay :)

50469945716_b1ac45c07c_o.jpg20201013_134243 by Apostolos Konstantinos Athanasiou, on Flickr

Wow gorgeous sunset! These journals are awesome - you regulars are fascinating to read about (Love Jilbralta's anxiety thread!!!). Love how you help each other with random everyday stuff.

Thanks :) Yeah we are like a virtual cafeteria here or what we call in Greece free therapy session haha

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am negative including all my other roommates except the Spanish girl. Strange isn't it?

Actually when I wrote this, one of my roommates was still waiting for the results. I assumed it would be negative as he does not have any symptoms whatsoever but he is in fact positive. So 2 out of 5 are positive, how is it possible the rest 3 not to be? I think it's a matter of time since we live together. I am very healthy I am not immune though. Hopefully when I get it I won't have any symptoms. I can handle the fever but the loss of taste and smell...? If I can't smell and taste my coffee, popcorn, yogurt and chicken what is left in this life?

I can handle the fever but the loss of taste and smell...? If I can't smell and taste my coffee, popcorn, yogurt and chicken what is left in this life?

I know. But from what I understand, it does come back. Don't worry.

Congrats on having yet another photo published!

Sometimes I think I am the unluckiest bastard in the world when it comes to jobs. I’ve been looking for a Data Engineer/Scientist job since my BSc 5 years ago and still can’t get into the field. It’s the only niche in the IT sector I like. I have to start from the bottom again despite my experience, fair enough, that’s not the problem. I lowered my standards and I’ve been applying to junior positions again and still get rejected. What gets on my nerves is that I have all the necessary university degrees (BSc and MSc) and experience for this position. There are so many people with less qualifications who get the job… damn.. it pisses me off.

It seems the only way to success for me is through my own business. I have wasted so many years studying this stupid stuff (5+) and the return on investment is negative. Certainly I won’t go to the university again in my next life, waste of time, money and most importantly effort.

Certainly I am thinking about a career change in this life though.

I asked for feedback in order to know what the reason was. The feedback was assignment->pretty good, interviews->pretty good, the hiring manager liked someone else more....

I spend so much time and effort for these interviews, the technical tests are pretty difficult and then the preparation for the interviews, just to let you know the hiring manager liked someone else's face more. I don't know if it is worth it...............I could be investing the same time and effort into something else... even travelling the world is way better investment than this...

• 2 weeks later...

I had to make some interview videos for a job in London. It's for a data engineering position, I really want this job, it's a very good consulting company. They told me they received 800+ CVs for this position. Damn, how many people have BSc and MSc in Computer Science or Statistics? I mean, even if 50% of the applications is noise, we still have about 400 CVs left. Let's say, 100 applicants out of 400 pass all the technical tests and interviews, I still have only 1% chance. This is competition, no kidding. It's like throwing a bone to a pack of wolves, the "best" one will get it, survival of the fittest indeed.

I came to Athens a couple of days ago, the company does not allow us to work remotely from another country, hopefully they won't find out.... I needed some sun and to get away from my covid infected roommates who started working again (they work in retail).

I already got some colour. I have the most typical Greek facial features.

50521468431_3843d47095.jpgUntitled by Apostolos Konstantinos Athanasiou, on Flickr

I talked to bro an hour ago, he dropped a bomb suddenly. "I am getting married tomorrow" he looked at me waiting for my reaction since he knows my opinion about marriage haha.

Because I am against marriage myself and I don't believe in the institution of marriage, it doesn't mean I wouldn't be happy for him. I told him that's great, she seems a great gal (looked very confident and a go-getter on the MIT zoom meeting I watched a few months ago), they should have kids too. The best man is a professor of medicine at one of the top US universities and the bridesmaid is doing a PhD at Harvard. Good stuff, he knows how to make connections. At least one of us is successful. The downside is I alone have to bear the stigma of the eternal bachelor.

The funny thing is, my mother was more excited than my father who lost his words for a few seconds hahahaha. I expected it but I didn't know when. Really happy for him.

My mother commented “you (to bro) go to the church voluntarily, dias needs an extrovert go-getter girl to drag him to the church” hahahaha no I am not that difficult, all I want is a kinky woman with a yacht. I am pretty simple and thrifty lol.

My lovely grandma always wanted us to get married and have children, she so wanted great grand children. They couldn’t get married 5 months ago? She would have been beyond elated, she would have left at peace. Unfortunately, as we all know you need a storm to see the rainbow, one life comes to an end another one begins....

The British girl from work flames Amazon and Jeff Bezos all the time on Facebook. She regularly makes posts against capitalism and rich people etc. She is not the first one and she will not be the last one.

I watched this documentary

So let’s analyse it a bit. I think there are two main parts we have to focus:

1) How some companies become so huge and how some people become so rich from a customer’s perspective. Now that I have launched an app* I have a bit better understanding about how this “thing”(market/consumerism /marketing/sales etc) works. Consumers create the big companies. Consumers have the power especially in the initial stages of a company. Period. This is something most people would never understand.

A small parenthesis:

Successful products are successful for three reasons: a)solve a problem-improve people’s lives-save money-save time** etc b)marketing and sales. These two factors always co-exist. The better the product the less marketing you want, the lousier the product the more marketing you want etc c)timing. Timing is a huge factor too. Some people can judge the situation better than others, call it charisma or whatever, also luck is involved a lot.

Back to the customers. For instance, if everyone switches from Apple to other companies Apple wouldn’t have the monopoly anymore. Or if people didn’t order from Amazon, Amazon wouldn’t be the mammoth it is now. Consumers make the billionaires, they don’t magically appear and rule the world. The same common people who make rich people richer complain about rich people. This is the oxymoron of this whole thing. I know some could claim there is no better alternative, well it’s a free world, everyone can create a better alternative. Not that easy, is it?

Probably it’s human nature talking – trashing everything we can’t have/achieve ourselves. I pondered what I have written about Apple, this was hypocritical of me. Apple wants monopoly and complete market control. In their shoes, I would want the same. Everyone would want the same, it’s nature. My point though was that consumers have way more power than they think.

2) The entrepreneur’s perspective. First of all, timing and luck play a catalytic role on the success of a company, notably when we are talking about innovative new products. It is like shooting in the dark. Unicorn companies are just a few, maybe the 0,000000000000000000001% of the existing companies. Human factor is very important, however, for big things all the planets have to align.

Let’s see the human factor now. There is a difference between just being rich (millionaires) and being extremely rich (billionaires). You can run 3 successful restaurants and be a millionaire, you can be a doctor and be a millionaire, you can be a software engineer and be a millionaire, you can be a salesman and be a millionaire. However this is completely different than the business magnates at the top of Forbes list. They disrupt the market, they change the status quo and shape the future. This is not about money, many businesses make money but they don’t move the civilization forward. I think it’s difficult to apprehend how competent some people are. Jeff Bezos is like a contemporary John D. Rockefeller. Look at the past of this kind of people, they are extremely gifted individuals, they are very risky and bold, they have good judgment, they are relentless, they experiment a lot, they make mistakes, they dedicated their lives on this like monks etc etc. If you compare them with us the mere mortals the difference is from here to the moon. The majority of people never even try, they are just passengers, they follow the pre-determined path and that’s it. How hypocritical of us to judge these gifted individuals?

At the end of the day, we didn’t come to this world for holidays, it’s about survival of the fittest. Apparently I don’t like thinking like this when I get rejected at interviews but this is how it is in reality.

By the way, I mention entrepreneurs all the time because it’s my thing. I admire all the great people. I admire great politicians, great soldiers, great generals, great scientists, great athletes, great artists, I admire greatness in general.

*Yesterday whilst I was expecting a call for an interview a restaurant manager from Liverpool called me asking about the app and how to create an account etc. She hasn’t created the account yet and maybe she won’t, nonetheless, when people call you asking about your product that must mean something. Maybe there is a small market segment with potential there, maybe I have to go back to the streets and try harder than last time.

**Another thing I noticed is that the difference between wants and needs is relative. Yesterday’s wants are today’s needs. 50 years ago TV was not a need but today it is a need. Fridges were not essential, people could continue storing food like they had been doing thousands of years. Today we can’t live without a fridge. The conclusion is, first you need to push the product until it becomes somewhat popular, then the consumers will determine whether this product is useful or not. If it’s useful the demand will increase, if it is not the product will be squeezed out of the market. However, in the initial stages it seems you have to push it and become really annoying until people use the product. It’s definitely not an easy thing to do. I don’t like pushy salesmen but now I can see why they are so pushy, it can’t be done otherwise.

Random thought 1

I did a sh*t-ton of cardio yesterday. I ran for 1,5 hours on the mountain (many slopes) in moderate/fast pace, I did pause a few times for 30 seconds or so but overall it was a pretty decent workout. I haven’t run that much since I was 18. I am rediscovering running :) I am pretty sore today, I can’t even walk. It was definitely worth it though, it will become a staple of my training from now on.

Random thought 2

Today is the first day of winter in Athens. It’s cloudy, rainy and windy. I don’t like it, if the weather is like this I prefer to be in Liverpool. Ideally the perfect combination is six months in Greece the summer time and 6 months in England in the winter. My paternal grandparents had figured it out. They spent half the year in Greece and half the year in Poland, you get the best of both worlds. I don’t think I can do the same at least not until I become a pensioner which is never as I want to work till I am in the ground.

Random thought 3

I can’t go out, I am too exhausted to lift weights today, I think it will be a cheat day. I am between 2 large domino’s pizza or 6 gyros. Hmm, difficult quandary….

Random thought 4

I think I am overdoing it with training, it’s not normal to spend 5 hours working out every day. I do it because this lockdown has f*cked everything up and I have to spend my energy somehow. It’s better than staying at home and eating all day long. It’s not that I do not enjoy it, it’s the fact I need to cut down a bit and invest time in something more productive.

Random thought 5

Hopefully I passed this round of interviews for the job in London. It’s a really really good opportunity. Yes this would be an actual career, there is a lot of potential. God please give me a break, I won’t disappoint you.

Random thought 6

I think we will be having a training in the office in December, I still have plenty of time to spend here, I will get bored by then hahaha. It’s really bizarre when I am here I “miss” England when I am there I “miss” Greece (grass is greener syndrome apparently). Stupid ungrateful human nature. I will be the first one to complain to Saint Peter when the time comes. And I have a big list of complaints, he will have an earful hahahahaha

Random thought 7

I met some friends from school these days. They followed the predetermined path and in my eyes they do nothing. Thank God I left. I don’t get it, they don’t have any dreams, they are not inquisitive to see what is “out there”? I mean staying in the same place all your life seems so depressing in my eyes. There is a whole planet with countless countries, cultures, people, beautiful landscapes etc how can you not wonder what is on the other side of the planet? No curiosity whatsoever? Living in a different country is not for everyone, if you prefer comfort and ease over adventures and whammies do not move countries. Nowhere is perfect and nowhere people are waiting for you. Nonetheless, the perspective you gain is priceless, you see life through completely different lenses.

Random thought 8

ENA is a female dominated forum which is fine but I believe the opinions are biased. Like when you are on a male dominated forum where most guys claim that all women are gold diggers and s. I rarely reply on the threads but I would say I mostly disagree with what is being said. And the wording of some members is something else haha. If I could choose a member that my opinions align the most if MissCanuck. She seems very practical and simple person. I appreciate people who can do 1+1 and do not overanalyse things. Or maybe I am saying this because my opinions align with hers hahaha

Random thought 10

I am not so certain the espresso coffee machine was a good purchase. The machine itself is great, however, ground coffee is not that much better than instant coffee and is a lot more expensive. Plus, it takes more time to make it which is annoying.

Random thought 11

Why do I have a feeling I will end up spending my life in London? London is pretty good if you make good money though. Anyway, who knows what the future holds?

I mean staying in the same place all your life seems so depressing in my eyes. There is a whole planet with countless countries, cultures, people, beautiful landscapes etc how can you not wonder what is on the other side of the planet? No curiosity whatsoever? Living in a different country is not for everyone, if you prefer comfort and ease over adventures and whammies do not move countries. Nowhere is perfect and nowhere people are waiting for you. Nonetheless, the perspective you gain is priceless, you see life through completely different lenses.

Funny, I think about this sometimes. There are some people who spend their lives travelling, and I mainly like to stay in one place. Even for vacations, I prefer staycations because there's no hassle of packing, driving, catching a plane, etc. There's a cooking class I'd like to take in Boston. I figure we can take a train and stay overnight in a hotel. Uber to the class. Another thing I plan to do is rent a hotel room for a week in Manhattan and spend all day and night exploring the city, eating and drinking.

I know there are other places out there, but I don't have FOMO. Even when I spent that summer in Italy for school, I didn't tour any of the other cities on the weekends with my classmates. I hung out where I was (mainly Siena) and soaked it in. How much can you really appreciate in two days, you know? Maybe if I was a professional speed walker those would have been appealing excursions, but I'm not that. What I did do was find an opportunity to gallop on horseback through some Tuscan farmland--that's living! But I had to do that alone. Well, I had a guide.

On the other hand, I do like to explore. I'm a wanderer. If I see a road I've never travelled, I'll take it and find my way back somehow. Then I get a mental image of the place that I'm in. Sometimes I discover beautiful turns in the road and breathtaking vistas and I go back and visit them. But that's a little different than a planned excursion...

The unknown road is a big lure for me.

Funny, I think about this sometimes. There are some people who spend their lives travelling, and I mainly like to stay in one place. Even for vacations, I prefer staycations because there's no hassle of packing, driving, catching a plane, etc. There's a cooking class I'd like to take in Boston. I figure we can take a train and stay overnight in a hotel. Uber to the class. Another thing I plan to do is rent a hotel room for a week in Manhattan and spend all day and night exploring the city, eating and drinking.

I know there are other places out there, but I don't have FOMO. Even when I spent that summer in Italy for school, I didn't tour any of the other cities on the weekends with my classmates. I hung out where I was (mainly Siena) and soaked it in. How much can you really appreciate in two days, you know? Maybe if I was a professional speed walker those would have been appealing excursions, but I'm not that. What I did do was find an opportunity to gallop on horseback through some Tuscan farmland--that's living! But I had to do that alone. Well, I had a guide.

On the other hand, I do like to explore. I'm a wanderer. If I see a road I've never travelled, I'll take it and find my way back somehow. Then I get a mental image of the place that I'm in. Sometimes I discover beautiful turns in the road and breathtaking vistas and I go back and visit them. But that's a little different than a planned excursion...

I think I'm similar, but my reluctance to travel could tie into my lack of confidence.

I like travelling within the UK, but I've never had the desire to travel abroad on my own. We weren't a family that had holidays abroad, instead holidaying locally. Furthest I've been is Italy on a music course in 2005.

Bro seems genuinely happy in the photos. Guys are not supposed to look intimidated and uncertain? hahaha

There was no ceremony, they just signed the papers. It doesn't feel real if there is no ceremony in the church. The ceremony will probably be held in Greece in a year or so.

I haven't asked him how the married life is yet. Bro is married, imagine that. Ha!

The bride is not my taste at all in terms of appearance but he finds her hot, good for him. He always had unconventional taste in women so kind of expected it. She has exceptional intelligence, couldn't have exceptional beauty too, not possible on this planet. Sure thing, kids will have an inclination to engineering and academia.

On another note, I had a few zoom meetings with my colleagues today. It was nice talking to them, I really miss them. I would say most of my colleagues in my previous jobs were good and I didn't have any major issues but I really mingle well with some of my current colleagues. Maybe because we are not in a big city and people are more chilled in general. Not going to the office affected me more than I like to think. I have roommates but we don’t have anything in common so it’s like not having anyone. I don’t see returning back to office till February… although hopefully I will have found a data engineering job by then.

We have a girl on our team, I think she has some anxiety issues. She was facing a technical issue today and whilst I was helping her she almost started crying. This was a mixture of frustration (I assume because she couldn’t find the issue) and anxiety, I can’t really explain it otherwise.

She apologized like she did something. I told her to take her time, not to worry, we would find the issue. She knows she is ok with me because I am the most chilled (don’t give a f*ck) person ever. Eventually she found the bug in the script herself and she was very happy. However, I can’t imagine how someone else would have reacted in this situation. On one hand, I don’t like babysitting so I understand if someone would get annoyed. On the other hand, I don’t like as*holes as seniors myself and this is why I am very tolerant and understanding with others. Good thing I have developed a thick skin over the years so I don’t sweat what my superiors (or anyone) say.

Ok so Boris Johnson just announced national lockdown from the 5th of November to the 2nd of December. This means my roommates who work in retail will be home all the time which is awful as they camp in the kitchen 24/7. Phew, I am lucky I am in Athens alone in my apartment, not that it's better here in terms of covid but at least I live alone and enjoy the sun. We are definitely not going back to the office till mid January - February and that's the best case scenario. Hmm, given the current circumstances I see myself going back to Liverpool mid January, I reckon from February things will start getting better slowly and I need to be there for the more intense job hunting.

Boris "aged" abruptly with all this covid situation. I do like him more now though, covid humbled him.

I always wanted to make a youtube video, just for fun. Today I spent the whole day doing that. It's a poor attempt but believe me it took 12 hours in total. 3 hours of filming in the morning and 9 hours learning to edit videos (just the basics of course). I have 1 view already from myself hahahahaha. The process is fun but very very time consuming. I didn't even have time to do my real workout.

[video=youtube;P2Rk-zCoeng]

I talked to bro an hour ago, he dropped a bomb suddenly. "I am getting married tomorrow"

The funny thing is, my mother was more excited than my father

Mom told bro *indirectly* that his wife is ugly. Now this is the mother I know.

Bro erased all the photos he sent us on Skype and Viber and he doesn't want to talk to my mother. Understandably so.

I always kept telling mom to keep her opinions for herself but no, she has to say what she thinks because we have to say the "truth". But people do not change.

Regardless of the gal's appearance, you don't say to your son that his wife is ugly three days after the marriage.

And then bro called me asking me "mom is not happy about me?" He was annoyed and hurt. And I am like "she is but it was very sudden, you just announced it one day before the wedding, give her some time".

Bro won't talk to her, mom will be crying because he won't talk to her (despite the fact she instigated this whole issue) and life goes on.

I did have some concerns myself about bro's wedding which I expressed them before the ceremony.

1)He only knows this girl one year, that's not enough.

2)He hasn't met her family (nor we have met her). Not very smart move, notably if you want to have kids as he claims. You have to see your partner's family, maybe they have mental/health issues, hereditary diseases you have to know, you both have to get tested whether you can have kids in the first place. I mean that's basic logic.

3)This is what concerned me the most. Her postdoc is subsidised by a private Greek institution, not her university in the US. With Trump's regulations she has to leave the US in December so she probably asked (?) bro to marry her to obtain visa to continue her studies. This is something it didn't sit well with me when he told me one day before the wedding. I told him this is the wrong reason to get married, he said he wanted to do it so....

4)I think bro took the whole thing very lightly. I think he doesn't realise she owns half of what he has which is a lot more than her (at least for the time being). But this has to do with the hole in the institution of marriage which I think I have already expressed my feelings. It's better to see marriage as business, good business partnerships are better and last longer.

Anyway, I just told him what I thought. I don't like people telling me what to do even when I make mistakes (which is quite often) so I don't insist on my opinions. Besides, if I ever get married it will be to a stripper I met the day before so who am I to judge hahahahaha

I am happy for him if he is happy.

Dias, that makes sense about wanting to know about mental health issues... but it's not always clear cut! My brother ended up getting schizophrenia, but we only found out 3 years ago!!!!

I would NOT have had this many kids if I'd known I had those genes (and maybe it's not genetic? we just don't know). But my husband wanted to push to have 4 - he hated the idea of stopping at 3 kids. But we really didn't know about the potential of putting them at risk.

I would have stayed single probably, or just chosen to be childless if I'd known. But then maybe our kids will turn out fine (they seem totally fine) and then I would have missed an amazing marriage to the best man I've ever known.

? It's confusing. But ultimately, I think you just have to trust he'll make a good decision with the info he has gotten so far.

.....and so a Youtube star is born.... :p

Regarding your brother, don't worry too much. The 50 of everything is a bit of a myth. They'd have to be married for a long time for that to happen and even then.... If everything were to go balls up in the next several years, all she'd get is what she brought in and if that's nothing, then nothing it is.

Can't believe your mom actually said that out loud....oy.... Hopefully they'll all get over it and move past that soon enough.

Yikes I didn't read your post about your mom saying that to your brother.

It's very simple... if your mom wants to have a good relationship with her son and his wife and be able to see any kids they have, she absolutely has to not be unkind.

What she said was deeply unkind to her son and his wife. She needs to maybe apologize, but if his wife is super insecure (which maybe she is or maybe she isn't?) this may not ever really fix itself. She may always remember that.

My MIL has said and done crazy stuff to us, one time she actually yelled at me over giving our baby son (first baby) milk LOL. Overtime I've come to really love and care about her, but she's started to behave a lot better overtime as well. Maybe your new sister in law will figure out how to gracefully handle your mom, but you do have to admit that was really unkind to her (and your brother).

To me it's always sad when something like that happens, because it does no one good to be unkind. Your mom may cry, but she has to deal with her own consequences and try to apologize and make it up to them somehow (if she's not too prideful. My husband's parents are too prideful to apologize or really try to make anything up).

I don't know if it's worth it to try to wonder if she has mental issues already :p

Dias, even if she was prettier your mom may have still tried to find something unkind to say.

I was tall, 5"8 ft, and only 115 pounds, athletic, blonde with blue-green eyes and had an offer to be a model when I was 22. My in-laws just found other ways to be unkind.... His older aunts are short and chubby and were insanely jealous. Even after 4 kids, I still am thin and workout and only have a little bit of fat to lose now until I'm back into shape - but they absolutely hate that, and have always resented I was thin after having kids.

If someone wants to find something about a person not to like, it's pretty easy.

Pain is the best teacher though, maybe the pain of this will help your mom see the light! :D

MB: No it’s not clear cut, you are right. Certainly I don’t imply that you shouldn’t have kids if someone from your family has mental health issues. Almost nobody would have kids if that was the case. However, I do think you need to check your partner’s family and make an informed decision.

Ugly is a strong word, she is not ugly, she is thin and about 5’10, wasn’t so lucky with the facial features but not appalling by any means. Thing is, her facial features indicate she belongs in a sub ethnic group of Greeks (difficult for foreigners to discern the differences with other Greeks and yes this sort of racial issues exist even in the smallest countries) which my mother detests with all her heart. Plus, my mother has the “there is no woman good enough for my sons” mentality. She admits it without hesitation lol. Even if the gal was an extremely educated swimsuit model with a heart of gold, she still wouldn’t be enough (personally I would be very satisfied hahahaha)

Do I think bro could find someone in his league? Yes sure if he had different taste. He really finds her hot. It is what it is and it’s none of my business. What troubled me were the practical concerns I mentioned. It’s not about the gal, I don’t know her whatsoever. Nonetheless, there is a basic checklist you have to go through before you get married if you take marriage seriously.

DF: Hahahaha thanks :) I didn’t manage to edit the video the way I wanted but I was determined to film it and upload it on Sunday no excuses because I always postponed it.

Ha, so it’s a myth? We can marry as many times as we want without consequences? I like it. Hmm, maybe not, in my case where I want to marry a rich gal it wouldn’t be beneficial. Damn, there is no future for gold-diggers anymore, this is not the world I want to live in hahahaha

Yes this is mom’s personality. I don’t think there is anyone she hasn’t argued/fought with. She used to piss me off a lot when I was younger, now that I understand people better, I just accept them as they are because they won’t going to change.

Hermes: I think all my concerns were valid and based on rationality. I am not saying I am acting based on logic myself (I would be really happy if I could do that) so I am not “judging”, I just expressed my concerns. He hasn’t met her family because they have been together only one year and they didn’t have time to visit Greece.

IAG: My mother is a piece of work, she argues with everybody. If she could argue with animals and plants she would do it. It’s exhausting… It’s not just a couple of times where she engaged in physical altercations with other women. Go figure…

Thanks :) I thought you would like it. Did you like the songs I chose? They give the video a happy carefree vibe.

I have to disappoint you regarding the meal prep. I don’t prepare any meals except salads. No cooking at all. A lot of Greek yogurt, tons of coffee, salads, popcorn, eggs, fruits, pre-cooked chicken from the supermarket and occasionally I boil and then fry 2 kg of beef… My diet is described as depressing by my roommates but I am ok with it, I like it. And since I despise cooking this is the best I can get lol.

Archived