Career question about jumping companies

LostSpartan

I have a career question that I'd like to get some opinions on if possible. This has me really conflicted.

Back on the first day of October, I started my current job. I left my previous job of five years. My current job is worlds better than my last. It pays better and really puts me back on my career path as a manager. I love my employees but I do have a few things I do not like. I don't really care for the travel that I have to do. Its nothing major but I have to visit three sites I manage. I usually toss in a audiobook for the drive but again, it's not a major dislike. It's just something I was not told about before I was hired and it's just not something I enjoy. I lead a managed service for a major utility here in saint louis. So I'm exposed to a lot of politics between my company, the utility IT leadership, and the secondary contract based company. It's a bit annoying. But it's not chasing me off.

Anyway, a few years ago I applied at another place twice but never got a call or anything. I heard good things about them and I was hoping to at least interview but they never contacted me. Well I was contacted last week from a direct recruiter with them. I just talked to her to see what she had to say. Since then I've had multiple conversations and even went through a formal phone interview. So now, like a unexpected whirlwind, I have a panel interview coming up next week. This coming Wednesday actually. I feel odd almost like I'm betraying my current job. Does that make sense?

So this new job would jump my managed pool from my current seventeen employees up to thirty five and my pay would jump up by 35k annually with three possible annual bonuses a year. Finally pushing me over 100k. No travel. No pressure of being that middle man trying to maintain a contract much less crazy politics like I'm enduring now. All of which sounds amazing. My only real concern is that when I looked at this companies facebook, they have lots of photos. It appears they have a arcade in the lunch cafeteria. It looks really cool. After scrolling through two years of photos, I noticed not one single person of color. Just a sea of white faces. Which is a concern but might that might the reason they contacted me if they are trying to break that up, I guess. I have no idea.

So here is my question. Should I pass this up? I keep thinking that I've only been on my new job since October and I don't want to be a job hopper. Back when I first took the offer, I even took down all of my online resumes except my listing on linkedin, which is how this new company found me. I think the extra money would be amazing and managing so many more employees would be a boost to my resume. But I feel like I'd be betraying my current employees and get labeled as a job jumper.

Any opinions?

This coming Wednesday actually. I feel odd almost like I'm betraying my current job. Does that make sense?

This is about business and taking care of your needs. I've left a couple jobs after a week of working because I found something better and haven't regretted it. Money talks- I come to work to support my finances, not to make friends. This is a company that would not wear and tear your car from traveling AND give you higher pay.

My only real concern is that when I looked at this companies facebook, they have lots of photos. It appears they have a arcade in the lunch cafeteria. It looks really cool. After scrolling through two years of photos, I noticed not one single person of color. Just a sea of white faces. Which is a concern but might that might the reason they contacted me if they are trying to break that up, I guess.

What is the surrounding area like? Is it predominantly white or very diverse?

My husband and I live in a rural area that is very predominantly white. He is the only minority (and one of two males) working in a local doctors clinic. He LOVES his job and his coworkers/patients are extremely pleasant to him. He's been hanging out with them at Happy Hour!

I'm not sure how a "sea of white faces" would be an instant red flag. They obviously didn't chose to hire someone who is white over your qualifications. If you want to thoroughly research this company, Check out reviews from Glassdoor or Indeed. Never count your research based on one source of information.

I think the extra money would be amazing and managing so many more employees would be a boost to my resume. But I feel like I'd be betraying my current employees and get labeled as a job jumper.

When I receive resumes from people who never had a job for a longer period and who have jumped from job to job, I question that, but if someone changed jobs once after a short period of time, I am fine with that.

You don’t have to feel like you are betraying you current employees. You are free to leave the job if you want to. They are not your family. The company did not tell you about the travelling either. I would not have appreciated that.

I would however not change a job just because it "boosts" my resume. I would change job, because the other job is more interesting, pays better etc. etc.. The last firm I worked for was a US investment firm and I had people coming in for job interviews, who were mainly interested in having the firms name on their resume rather than the job itself. In some cases it worked against them. If you leave a reputable firm within a year, because you cannot deal with the long hours and the hard work, it does not speak in your favour, even though you have a big name on your resume.

Archived