Open Club  ·  45 members

Off Topic

Things you believed as a child...

topendguy

My son thinks that the customer service department at a popular food market we go to is there to take toys from children who misbehave/are unappreciative so that they can give the toys to children who are poor/deserve them. This is my fault - he misbehaved one day at the playground when he was 5 so I made him leave the playground and took him shopping with me.

When we got there he started saying that he didn't like his watch anymore and wanted to give it to another child (sometimes he "punishes himself" when he knows he has misbehaved) so I pointed at the customer service counter right in front of us and I told him that if he didn't behave I would give his watch to the guy behind the counter and tell him to give it away to a child who didn't have one. I was definitely going to follow through (since I knew they'd give it back to me later if needed). He behaved but he's asked me a number of times when we go there whether that department takes toys.

He also believes in the tooth fairy possibly because there was fairy dust um glitter on his windowsill when she visited for the first time a few weeks ago.

When I was a kid there were rumors we all believed about popular candies that exploded in your mouth a little (true) but that would keep doing that in your body (there was no Internet, no way to check snopes LOL).

That if I swallowed an watermelon, pear or apple pip, vines would grow out my ears and nose..

That if I put my homework under my pillow at night, my lessons would seep into my head while sleeping .

That if you are kind to everyone they would be kind back.

That a college degree was the ticket to having a nice salary. A friend of mine dropped out of college and makes $100,000 a year and I have a degree and don;t make half of that

I never believed that - because there are several careers/professions that require at least a college degree but don't pay a lot (like a doctor who works for a clinic, a classroom teacher at a public school) but I believed that going to college was essential and very important for those who are able to go- and I still believe that. I do not believe it is important for people who choose careers/professions that don't require a college degree like certain trades. I think it's a mistake not to pursue a college education if you're smart enough, can pay for it (or take out reasonable loans/ get a scholarship and are not sure exactly what job/career to pursue.

Aww that's so cute, Batya, and funny.

When I was little I believed my dad had a super power for seeing and knowing what I was doing even when he wasn't around. Every time I did something 'bad' (something I had been taught not to do!), he knew. And I got dragged forward to apologize and make good. How did he know?! Thought he was like Santa Claus or something, and he totally fed into that belief. lol.

I also believed for a time that dolls could come to life. That's because of a really cheesy movie called "dolls" that my cousins put on while they were babysitting and after that, I didn't want my dolls in my room while I slept anymore. I had a lot of those porcelain and cloth faced dolls too.

I never believed that - because there are several careers/professions that require at least a college degree but don't pay a lot (like a doctor who works for a clinic, a classroom teacher at a public school) but I believed that going to college was essential and very important for those who are able to go- and I still believe that. I do not believe it is important for people who choose careers/professions that don't require a college degree like certain trades. I think it's a mistake not to pursue a college education if you're smart enough, can pay for it (or take out reasonable loans/ get a scholarship and are not sure exactly what job/career to pursue.

That's what was told to me from the age of 10 to college, got to go to college to get a good job

That's what was told to me from the age of 10 to college, got to go to college to get a good job

Good job doesn't necessarily equate to a high salary depending on a person's goals, and it's much harder to find any job without a degree/trade. I wasn't told that - it was just a given that we were going to have higher education and I am thankful that that was given. My son already talks about college and he is 6 (and not because of pressure from us, in the least).

Not having any idea of value of money as a very young kid, I would rather have 3 cents than 1 piece of 10 cents. I thought having 3 coins was better than having only 1.

I thought that if my mother gave me a dollar bill in exchange for my four quarters I wasn't using "my" money to buy her potholders for Mother's Day.

That if I stood in front of a window during a thunder storm the lightning would find me and kill me then and there. My grandmother's fear, because a relative had that happen--standing in front of a window and boom, lightning bolt fried him on the spot. While it can happen my young brain decided it would be that way every single time, so yeah I'd get hysterical any time anyone stood in front of a window during storms.

Grandma also gave me a phobia of opening an umbrella in doors being such bad luck that to this day I cringe if I see that and won't open one up inside. My rational brain tells me it's stupid, but that little girl in me still says "Not gonna take any chances..."

Weirdly enough this is the same woman who told me black cats are actually good luck and breaking mirrors is just an idiotic superstition. So nope, no cringing on either of those. And I always figured the whole walking under a ladder was just bad luck because they might fall on your or drop something on you.

I believed that a witch lived in my clothes closet during the night and if the door wasn't closed, she would come out when it was dark.

I vividly remember calling out that I was "ready for bed", which meant pj's on and teeth brushed ---- and that someone needed to come "kiss me goodnight and close my closet door".

Vivid memory.

One time, those little kiddie riding machines were broken at a department store that I really wanted to ride, and my mother told me the lady before me got on and broke them, so I couldn't go on them. Every time after that, every time we didn't have time to stop (or she didn't want to stop to let me ride one), I believed the same lady had somehow gotten there ahead of me and broke the ride.

Archived