Sick of living at home.

allsmiles87

I'm 28 still live with my parents . Even though I make almost 19/hr. I only make about 2000 a month after taxes/ health insurance . I saved about 7000 and am looking to move out. I live in Southern California , so the rent is sky high . Can I survive renting a place that's 1050 ? My car is paid off . So after bills/ food might be left with like 200 bucks . I don't really want a roommate but that might be more of a realistic choice

You got a lot of middle class folk on these forums who would probably scoff at the idea of $900 a month of disposable income, but honestly, having $9k saved up, your own place, and a grand a month to spend or save is a lot better than a whole lot of people out there, certainly in the non-affluent areas of SoCal. I say go for it. I lived in LA in the past and it's easy to find places to sublet if you wanna try it out for just a couple months. If it's too much, find a place to rent with a roommate.

Have you made a list of the reasons as to why you would want to move out vs. staying at home and saving more? I understand you can't put a price on independence and I don't know what your living situation is like. However, if you stayed home for another year you could increase your savings to almost 20k.

That's a really good savings.

Again, it sounds like you have it budgeted out to make it work. But you really have to be diligent. Not sure if this helps out. Ultimately it's going to be up to you and what will work best for your mental health and finances.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

maybe some of the reasons why you don't like living with your parents could be worked out first. can you list the reasons why you don't want to live with your parents? the reason i ask is because you don't want to move out negatively. what i mean is that you should be focusing positively on moving out, like more personal space and more freedom. don't move out in frustration but focus on why you want to leave. just don't make a decision out of anger. make it because you have grown and you are now needing more space. also, when you move out, not being spiritual now, but sit down and talk with your parents about your decision. if you are unsure about this whole being able to make it on your own thing, try getting a lease that is month to month. or if not, see if your parents might be able to loan you money if times get tough. also, if this whole thing of living on your own does not work out, see if your parents are open to taking you back. so again, that is why i said leave on a positive note. in other words, if things don't work out, lean on them for emotional as well as maybe financial support. living on your own can be tough but down the road, you may run into problems. i would put money up for my car repair and any other emergencies that might come up. make sure that when you do move that you have quite a bit saved up. you know your expenses better than anyone else. a lot of people overlook emergency expenses. when you move out, you will need your own furniture and such. so that is where your savings will start to take a hit. so if you plan on having just a 1 bedroom apartment, you will need a place for your clothing, a bed, a television and so on. take notes on little things like that because that is where your savings will come into place. so i would get those things first or figure out how much those things would cost. you need a table too as well... these are things you have to prepare yourself for. after you pay for that stuff, the furnishings for your house, dishes and so on, figure out how much of your savings is left and then decide if you can move without needing parental support. if you feel the need to move immediately, have a backup plan. do not cut ties with your parents or leave negatively unless you know for sure you can make it on your own. and again, if things don't work out or become too tough, this is where you may need them the most or someone else to help you out. do not be afraid to ask for help.

Archived