Jump to content

Open Club  ·  64 members

Off Topic

The Random Thought Thread, Part 6


TechResQ
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 10/11/2021 at 12:03 AM, Jibralta said:

No, but my friend has. It was weird, though. I don't think she's a good example. 

You can also look into Lulu:

https://www.lulu.com/

Cheers Jib!

 

I’m intrigued now! Was this a corny cringe book that your friend was hyped up about and you glance read and then couldn’t bring yourself to say it’s only good for the fire love? 😉

 

You are making me think of a similar situation I was in a year back! Hard if you don’t have a poker face! 
 

Lo x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, mylolita said:

Was this a corny cringe book that your friend was hyped up about and you glance read and then couldn’t bring yourself to say it’s only good for the fire love? 😉

Sort of. I can't say for sure whether the book was good or bad because I didn't read it. I love her dearly, and for her sake I wanted to read it (and still want to), but I will probably never find time. And that is because my expectations for it are (unfortunately) not very high. I know her well, and my suspicion was that her 'author' phase was just another one of her strangely ambitious quirks. She has never, ever been a writer. In fact, I spent many a night in middle school and high school helping her write reports. I hope her book was great, but I will leave that a mystery.

What I found weird about her publishing experience was the cult-like social media miasma that cocoons (at least some) self-published authors. My friend started accumulating all of these followers and developing online friendships with other authors. It gave her a feeling of success. But closer inspection revealed that all of these followers and 'friends' were other aspiring authors seeking to create their own following. So they were following each other to create this illusion of volume, but in reality it was actually just one big hairball. Nonetheless, these girls (they were all young mothers) took it very seriously.

The weirdest was when my friend invited me to a book signing at a library close to where I live. The book signing was in the basement, and it was more like a bake sale than a book signing. Moms setting up tables with their books on display, kids running around or sitting at a table coloring. An occasional husband sullenly sitting next to his wife. I don't think there was a single outside visitor, just the authors visiting each other's tables. I sat at the table with the kids and colored lol. One look at their lush advertisements told me everything I needed to know about their books. Sorry to judge books by their covers (or advertisements), but... hairball.

So like I said, I don't think my friend is a good publishing example for you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/15/2021 at 11:31 AM, Jibralta said:

Sort of. I can't say for sure whether the book was good or bad because I didn't read it. I love her dearly, and for her sake I wanted to read it (and still want to), but I will probably never find time. And that is because my expectations for it are (unfortunately) not very high. I know her well, and my suspicion was that her 'author' phase was just another one of her strangely ambitious quirks. She has never, ever been a writer. In fact, I spent many a night in middle school and high school helping her write reports. I hope her book was great, but I will leave that a mystery.

What I found weird about her publishing experience was the cult-like social media miasma that cocoons (at least some) self-published authors. My friend started accumulating all of these followers and developing online friendships with other authors. It gave her a feeling of success. But closer inspection revealed that all of these followers and 'friends' were other aspiring authors seeking to create their own following. So they were following each other to create this illusion of volume, but in reality it was actually just one big hairball. Nonetheless, these girls (they were all young mothers) took it very seriously.

The weirdest was when my friend invited me to a book signing at a library close to where I live. The book signing was in the basement, and it was more like a bake sale than a book signing. Moms setting up tables with their books on display, kids running around or sitting at a table coloring. An occasional husband sullenly sitting next to his wife. I don't think there was a single outside visitor, just the authors visiting each other's tables. I sat at the table with the kids and colored lol. One look at their lush advertisements told me everything I needed to know about their books. Sorry to judge books by their covers (or advertisements), but... hairball.

So like I said, I don't think my friend is a good publishing example for you. 

Jib!

 

I thought I replied to you here! Apologies! 
 

Y’know, if you wrote a book, I’d definitely read it! You have a way with words!

 

Fab that she had her own crazy cult of about 2.5 people! LOL! Well, if you can reach just one, as they say 🤣

 

x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/29/2021 at 9:55 PM, dias said:

He says the same things I say. All independent people think the same way it seems lol

This has been a long time in the making Dias - he has spoken and joked about politics quite a bit in previous interviews over the years.

 

On 11/30/2021 at 5:25 AM, Capricorn3 said:

Dreading Christmas this year. Two empty chairs and nothing feels right or the same anymore. Second Christmas without my dad, I miss him 😢 and miss my sister too 😢.

I’m sorry Capricorn.
 

You are stronger than you know though x

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, mylolita said:

This has been a long time in the making Dias - he has spoken and joked about politics quite a bit in previous interviews over the years.

Actors, sales people, hustlers, story-tellers, politicians ->potayto, potahto

I like politics too. Business first though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The end of November has been wild, and not in a good way. Lost two friends, a great aunt, and I decided to hangout with pneumonia for 3 weeks. Then there's the wedding I was supposed to be best man at in the middle of all that. Add in a flaky potential customer who I'm fed up with, I wouldn't mind catching a break.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...