Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

The Random Thought Thread, Part 6

TechResQ

Read a fascinating study on business relationships, charisma etc.

It studied what was referred to as the "narcissist ratio" (not a psychiatric study).

In the study, they found an inverse relationship between charisma and influence and how often people used the word "I"( including me,my,etc) 

The more someone used "I" the less power, influence and charisma they had.

Have to agree that when someone uses I, me, my, etc. and personal anecdotes excessively it does come across as boring and unengaging.

• Haha 1

Genuine people create connection and find depth even in short, everyday conversations. Their genuine interest in other people makes it easy for them to ask good questions and relate what they're told to other important facets of the speaker's life. They aren't driven by ego.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LaHermes said:

Genuine people create connection and find depth even in short, everyday conversations. Their genuine interest in other people makes it easy for them to ask good questions and relate what they're told to other important facets of the speaker's life. They aren't driven by ego.

True.

Although, politicians are very good at this too.... and they are often completely driven by ego 😂

• Like 1

"Never cut a tree down in the wintertime. Never make a negative decision in the low time. Never make your most important decisions when you are in your worst moods. Wait. Be patient. The storm will pass. The spring will come."

Robert H. Schuller

• Like 1

“The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.”

Marcus Aurelius

“The evil that is in the world almost always comes of ignorance, and good intentions may do as much harm as malevolence if they lack understanding.”

Albert Camus

19 minutes ago, LaHermes said:

“The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.”

Marcus Aurelius

In more contemporary words: opinions are like bums, everyone has one.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...