Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

How does Facebook suggest friends?

acinom

Hi There

Many, many years ago I had a Hotmail address then that I never post from now and I had a boyfriend. It was before Facebook so we never used it. We broke up and moved on with our lives. It is safe to say I have not seen, spoken or contacted him in over ten years. I'm married and so is he. I know this through one mutual friend who does not have a Facebook page. I've been on Facebook over 5 years. Then out of nowhere one day my ex popped up as a Facebook Friend suggestion. We have no mutual Facebook friends. I set up my Facebook account using a gmail address that I never used with my Ex. I didn't know that he had a Facebook page and I have not googled him or anything. How did Facebook drag him up as I presume the Hotmail address I used to write to him on is also defunct. Can I expect more ex's popping up in the future? It was bad enough when my crazy friend's dead dog (he gave him his own page invited me to like something.

Thanks

The "people i may know" isn't based solely on mutual friends ..... it is also based on who you interact with, and who's profile you look at

When you look at someone's profile, but do not add them as a friend, facebook "helps you" by reminding you that you might know that person .There is a possibility that your might have looked you up

This has happened to me too. My ex permanently deleted his account at some point while we were together because he didn't want to be part of it anymore. A year later after we broke up .......he created a new account. I didn't realize it until later when he showed up in my suggested friends area and we had no mutual friends.... Only one pic and 2 friends. I am assuming he was merely curious since we hadn't been in contact for a year.

Archived