Embarrassing problem- split between buttocks

Highly embarrassing but here goes- had a bit of an itchy bottom the past few days, and over the past 24 hours whenever I use the toilet there's a little blood on the tissue. Took a look in the mirror earlier today and there's a red line down my bum crack- it's obviously a sore/split. What can I do to make it heal? It's uncomfortable and stings a lot but I can't get to the doctors due to work. It's such a hard area to keep dry too, anyone experienced this problem?!!!

Go to the baby aisle in Walmart and get A&D ointment. That will really help it heal and protect it. Sounds weird but after I had my daughter it's all I use for "down there" kinds of irritations

yes I agree ..somehting like sudacream ..anything for a baby and you know it is ok for us to blather on .

Irritated skin needs to be babied - literally. Be gentle with it. Warm water, A&D, gentle cleansers (baby shampoo works well). Should clear up in a few days. If it doesn't, see a doctor (and don't be embarrassed). The technical term for what you have is an anal fissure. Not uncommon.

I had this problem a year back and I did try creams. They offered me relief for a while but it turned out that the moisture in these creams kind of made it worse. So a medical professional suggested keeping the area dry and using just a liberal amount of plain talcum powder. Talcum powder absorbs excess moisture, prevents chafing that could cause more discomfort, and helps the open sore heal. It also reduces any itchiness or pain and you're less inclined to scratch the area or try to do anything else. You can also use a medicated antiseptic powder that should generally be available over the counter. But good old Talcum powder did the trick for me. I felt much better in a few hours. And the entire split had healed and was fully gone within a day or so. Hope it works for you too. All the best!

I'd second A+D ointment or Bag Balm. The latter works wonders. I get super dry skin in the winter and will often times put the Bag Balm on my hands and then cover them with gloves at night. The following day my hands are super soft. Amazing stuff. It's multi-purpose, so I'm sure you can use it on your backside.

Good luck.

Cracks like that are frequently caused by yeast infections, so you would need some kind of antifungal and using the wrong ointment could make it worse I doubt you are chapped like a baby's behind, and it is more likely a yeast infection, so you might trying some antifungal ointment. But the best recommendation is to see the doctor as soon as possible in case it is a bacterial infection to get it diagnosed properly in order to use the proper medication.

Thanks for all your responses, much appreciated. I almost bought some talc but first I am going to try nipple cream on the area after reading that the lanolin in it can help. I am worried about it being a yeast infection as I have recently been on anti biotics but I think I will try other methods first as it appeared after a few days of mild constipation, sorry for tmi . I have a doctors appointment on Tuesday about other issues so I will mention it to her then, thanks guys

Is it lumpy? This could be nothing more than what we call a perianal hematoma. Don't fret about the blood. Do not use any creams or products on it, it will only exacerbate it.

This will eventually go away on its own. Go to your doctor, they will tell you the same thing.

• 5 years later...

I current have this problem, trying to find a way to heal it is what led me to this conversation. I have been using A&D OINTMENT, butt paste, all kinds of baby or diaper rash remedies. They don’t work and some made it burn. I figured out while googling for answers that all these things are for diaper rash or to prevent sores. Well I already have a sore! I have a skin tear at the top of my butt crack. Caused by sweating and moisture I believe. It really is sore and uncomfortable. I even decided since it was an actual sore, that neosporin would help. That made it burn! It also didn’t heal it. I try to clean it good in the shower, which is when I get bits of skin on my fingernails. This is why I know it is actually a place where some skin has been torn away and you are dealing with healing more than just preventing. I still can’t figure out what to use! I might try bag balm, although I fear it will keep it moist. Most of what I read says these things usually clear up on their own, etc., mine has hurt for 2 1/2 weeks now!  I need a way to heal this sucker, it is driving me crazy! 

27 minutes ago, Need help said:

I still can’t figure out what to use! I might try bag balm, although I fear it will keep it moist. 

You need to see your doctor. Talk to a pharmacist for over the counter help for now..

• Like 2

You may be making it worse. Call the doctor. With the proper medical attention it probably can be healed easily. Sometimes you need prescription strength. And you can learn how to prevent it in the future. 

• Like 2

You need to see a dr it could be a Pilonidal cyst. My husband had one twice and it was surgically removed. Not saying it is but something that doesn’t heal needs a doctor. 

Edited by Seraphim

I agree with the others, you should see a doctor. Not just to address your current sore, but to address the underlying problem that caused it. It sounds like a fissure, a slit right up the crack, and they’re difficult to heal. Could be from pressure, moisture, sheer and friction. Moisture barrier cream that you described using (desitin is my favorite) will help, but if it’s not improving there’s a reason. It it staying moist in there? Are you always sitting on it? Are you wiping it too hard? You may need something stronger, with silver in it (like silver nitrate or Silvadene). There’s actually a prescription silver nitrate that has a numbing agent in it to help with the pain, it’s called Magic Butt Paste. Gotta go to the doc to get it though.

Edited by indea08
  • 2 weeks later...

I second the doctor suggestion. 

I'm surprised no one suggested it yet but if your crack is wet due to sweat and such, you may have developed a topical yeast infection. If powders alone don't solve your discomfort, it may be worth picking up a tube of Monistat, or better yet, anti-fungal powder, and see if that improves things. Worth a try, can't hurt.