Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

K's Dating Journal

WithLove

I've been applying to other radiology facilities and hospitals in the area. Luckily for me, there are a lot of them around.

Now I'll just have to face whatever questions they'll have for me if I get an interview. I'm going to say I was "let go" instead of "fired", and that the reason being was because I violated the company's social media policy.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that's a good approach. I would also mention that my former supervisor at the job thinks so highly of me that she wanted to give me a reference.

Just so they know it was a mistake and has little bearing on you as a potential employee doing the job.

I've been applying to other radiology facilities and hospitals in the area. Luckily for me, there are a lot of them around.

Now I'll just have to face whatever questions they'll have for me if I get an interview. I'm going to say I was "let go" instead of "fired", and that the reason being was because I violated the company's social media policy.

I was fired from my last job too...although the reason was not so cut and dry. What I found is that you actually never have to say the reason you left/were let go. If a new employer calls to verify employment they will only be able to find out the dates you were employed and possibly your title and salary (if you agree to release that info). I tested this by having a friend call a few weeks later and ask about me and she tried to get them to say why I left employment (I mean she really prodded) and they would only say they couldn't give that information. In interviews I said I wanted room for advancement...which is true they fired me because they didn't want to promote me and my boss didn't want to look bad for having an employee that wasn't promoted quickly from that position. They gave me 2 choices be moved to a department I would hate and wasn't qualified for or be let go. It was a mess.

On the other hand, sometimes it's best to own up to it and say "Yes, this happened and I've learned my lesson and here's what I've done and to fix the problem and it definitely won't happen again." My brother just got hired for a new job while on house arrest...he told them all about it and how he's in counseling now and it'll never happen again and they appreciated that he was so honest but it made no bearing on their decision they hired him for his brains. He didn't have to tell them but he felt better about it.

I'm sure you're great at what you do and it was probably all about office politics. Sending good vibes your way for a new much better job!

A few years ago I was on the fence...I was hugely depressed (which was situational), and I wanted out of running my Dayhome but I was scared. It took a client giving me notice to finally prod me into change and go back to school. Without them giving notice (I was pretty upset about it), I wouldn't have shut down. I would have kept at it.

I guess what I'm saying is...this might not be a bad thing. This might turn out to be good. Over the last year you've posted about not being thrilled with your job and coworkers...and this will be the chance to start over. And I really hope you get hired on somewhere with good possibilities for advancement, and a great work environment. Maybe you'll even meet people you connect with and find a new pocket of friends.

Anyway, I'm rooting for you.

Oh No, WL.

I missed this.

Yikes. .that's harsh.

Sending you some strength and positive thoughts.

I just hired a young girl about your age. This week matter of fact, who was terminated by her previous employer due to letting her bf use her employee discount.

She volunteered the information up front, very maturely and had to repeat to not only myself but HR and my boss. She didn't flinch when sharing what happened each time.

I admired her honestly and humility.

People are people and they make mistakes.

You have a lot to offer and I depending on the way you handle this straight on, I think perspective employers will respect you for it.

Head high!

I was fired from my last job too...although the reason was not so cut and dry. What I found is that you actually never have to say the reason you left/were let go. If a new employer calls to verify employment they will only be able to find out the dates you were employed and possibly your title and salary (if you agree to release that info). I tested this by having a friend call a few weeks later and ask about me and she tried to get them to say why I left employment (I mean she really prodded) and they would only say they couldn't give that information. In interviews I said I wanted room for advancement...which is true they fired me because they didn't want to promote me and my boss didn't want to look bad for having an employee that wasn't promoted quickly from that position. They gave me 2 choices be moved to a department I would hate and wasn't qualified for or be let go. It was a mess.

On the other hand, sometimes it's best to own up to it and say "Yes, this happened and I've learned my lesson and here's what I've done and to fix the problem and it definitely won't happen again." My brother just got hired for a new job while on house arrest...he told them all about it and how he's in counseling now and it'll never happen again and they appreciated that he was so honest but it made no bearing on their decision they hired him for his brains. He didn't have to tell them but he felt better about it.

I'm sure you're great at what you do and it was probably all about office politics. Sending good vibes your way for a new much better job!

Doing interviews and hiring myself, I vote for sharing the information. Non disclosure leaves it up to interpretation and it seems cryptic to not say what happened.

Especially seeing that the `social media' thing is certainly a lower level indiscretion. . just a moment of poor judgment and nativity in my book and not an overall character issue.

My son has been applying to fire departments (got hired, yay) but he has a misdameanor charge on his record that he looses sleep over whether he should disclose it each time. I always advise him, when in doubt, tell the truth. It's actually turned out to be a funny icebreaker in interviews when he shared that it's a fine he received having swam from one side of a river to another. The tone goes from deadly serious to chuckling and sharing of all sorts river vacation stories.

Not to make light of your situation, WL. But you are young and that's just what young people do.

If you were perfect, I wouldn't think something's up!

It's funny, but all the people in my support system have told me that... they feel like, although this is obviously a blow to me right now... they do not feel like it will shatter my world like it may have done previously. They recognize that I have become a stronger person these last couple of months. I've pulled a lot of good people around me and distanced myself from ones that are not, and I've worked so hard on myself physically and mentally. I am devastated that it happened, but I do realize that it was my own fault. It was a mistake, and definitely a lesson well learned. Sometimes certain lessons must be learned the hard way, right?

I feel okay. I'm stressing over money, but I know my family will not allow me to go without food or anything necessary. I have a roof over my head for the next few weeks and I do have food in my fridge and pantry. My last paycheck will cover remaining bills for a month. I know what I am worth and I know the skills I have are ones that are needed in clerical jobs; so I'm confident that I will find something in the coming weeks. And if all else fails, I have retail experience, too; so I know I can fall back on that if I have absolutely no choice.

I'll be okay. I am holding onto the thought that perhaps this is a stepping stone to something greater in my life. Things happen for a reason. They always do. When I am asked how I'm doing - I say "It sucks right now, but tomorrow will be better". And it will.

I have one interview scheduled for next Tuesday at a national bank chain. I worked as a teller for 2 years some years ago and I decided to apply to banks as well as medical things. I also got a rejection from one of my hopeful jobs, but that's okay. There are more out there.

It's funny, but all the people in my support system have told me that... they feel like, although this is obviously a blow to me right now... they do not feel like it will shatter my world like it may have done previously. They recognize that I have become a stronger person these last couple of months. I've pulled a lot of good people around me and distanced myself from ones that are not, and I've worked so hard on myself physically and mentally. I am devastated that it happened, but I do realize that it was my own fault. It was a mistake, and definitely a lesson well learned. Sometimes certain lessons must be learned the hard way, right?

I feel okay. I'm stressing over money, but I know my family will not allow me to go without food or anything necessary. I have a roof over my head for the next few weeks and I do have food in my fridge and pantry. My last paycheck will cover remaining bills for a month. I know what I am worth and I know the skills I have are ones that are needed in clerical jobs; so I'm confident that I will find something in the coming weeks. And if all else fails, I have retail experience, too; so I know I can fall back on that if I have absolutely no choice.

I'll be okay. I am holding onto the thought that perhaps this is a stepping stone to something greater in my life. Things happen for a reason. They always do. When I am asked how I'm doing - I say "It sucks right now, but tomorrow will be better". And it will.

I have one interview scheduled for next Tuesday at a national bank chain. I worked as a teller for 2 years some years ago and I decided to apply to banks as well as medical things. I also got a rejection from one of my hopeful jobs, but that's okay. There are more out there.

Im got laid off too in January. Boy was that a shocker! I had all good reviews, nothing was wrong and they let me go do to restructuring, but it was really because I was one of the highest paid employees.

I have been sending resumes out for of over a month and only had 2 real interviews. Most of the jobs pay really bad and Im finding it difficult so far. Im trying to keep positive, but some days its hard. I am qualified for these jobs and keep getting rejection letters and am starting to feel scared. I am not young like you, so that might be the reason, but most do not ask for my age. Good luck to you, I truly hope you find a job soon, I hope we both do!

Use a different word, like Let Go, or laid off. Tell yourself; hes just happens to be listening. Prepare for him to be full of negativity. Prepare to jump right to next steps, looking for work, how im going to get by. He will not be focused on how you may feel fear anxiety and also a sense of a silver lining.

I will pray that you find a better position . I have found whenever you leave somewhere you get something even better. My husband was discriminated against for mental health issues in one civi job. They " laid him off". But when they did they paid a year's salary because he could have sued. That prompted him towards another job where he makes two times more what he did there.

I couldn't tell my father yesterday because I didn't get a chance to. I went over for dinner but ended up falling asleep on the couch. Instead of waking me, he and his girlfriend decided to leave to have drinks with friends. I left later in a huff over it.

So I texted him this morning about my job situation instead. I was too ashamed to tell him in person anyway.

I don't think a text in this situation is all that bad. Gives him some time to really digest it before he has to react....in person parents sometimes react negatively at first only because they want the best or us not realizing we are already devastated and we learned our lesson. I can't even remember what I told my parents when I was fired.... I think I told them they gave me a choice and I chose to leave...so basically they heard I was asked to resign....which to me is the same as being fired. But they also knew the hell I had gone through with this job. I still got a lecture about how hard it is to find a job when you're unemployed and how I should have stuck it out. I told them that wasn't an option...I think that's when it sunk in that I was fired. Then they turned the corner and became more supportive right away.

If your dad reacts negatively at first just know that's pretty normal and he'll come around....and probably fairly quickly.

I think you'll find something quickly. I was unemployed for 2.5 months (and some of that was just moving and waiting to start my new job) but I was looking for a job in a very specific industry and I was applying to jobs all over the country where interviews take a lot more preparation because of the travel involved. With your ability and willingness to apply to several different industries that are much more prevalent nationwide I think you'll have a job in a matter of weeks.

Dad asked the usually questions - why it happened and what I would do now. I didn't really get reprimanded. He said that I have good experience in several different industries and that I should find something soon, but cautioned to not settle for a pay grade that was less than what I was making. I think there was an implied compliment in there somewhere. Then he told me to come over again for dinner and that he had a bunch of food at his place. So I'm expecting I'll be sent home with a lot of leftovers and freezer items (chicken and fish mostly).

Interview with a bank tomorrow morning. Dad asked if I wanted to come work with him this week. He'd pay me under the table, he says. I can use every bit I can get, so I'll do it for as long as he needs me/until I get a permanent job.

I'm in the library right now. I love the library. I love the smell of books. I'm in a chair next to the window. I can see the water in the harbor from my window. It's so nice here. I'm going to stay here a little while, then head back home. I walked here - just 3 blocks over. Spent the morning online applying for jobs and the afternoon finding books to take home with me. Day well spent!

[ATTACH]11009[/ATTACH]

Yay! Sounds like your dad was pretty supportive and it's great that he's helping you out a little by letting you work for him. I think there definitely was a compliment in there, he's saying he knows you're an asset in the working environment and you shouldn't settle for less than you deserve. I'm sure those feelings carry over to or maybe come form him just thinking you're an awesome person and you deserve the best. Take it as a compliment.

I love Libraries too! I worked in the library on campus while I was in college I worked with all the periodicals and lots of microfiche and microfilm. Ah those were the day! With a view like that I'd be at the library all the time! What a great place to spend the day and get things done!

Archived