Open Club  ·  30 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

Favorite passages, quotes, poems

RainyCoast

“a too strong identity with too much identification represses the “appetite to be unlike the self one takes oneself to be”

- A. Phillips

“… This is to say that Man does not change himself and transform the World for himself in order to realize a conformity to an “ideal” given to him (imposed by God, or simply “innate”). He creates and creates himself because he negates and negates himself “without a preconceived idea”: he becomes other solely because he no longer wants to be the same. And it is only because he no longer wants to be what he is that what he will be or will be able to be is an “ideal” for him, “justifying” his negating or creative action—i.e., his change—by giving it a “meaning.”

—Alexandre Kojève

Unlearning is extremely painful, because you’re giving up your object. And I believe in pedagogy—I’m fundamentally a teacher. But I think teaching is really difficult, because the things you’re trying to get people to unlearn are things they hold close, and that are forms of life for them that structure their sense of continuity. Because learning and unlearning happen at the same time, there ought to be a lot of grace in the space of pedagogy.

Cruel Optimism is about how people will stay in relation to their object even if it destroys them, because they can’t bear giving up the pleasure of knowing the world in a particular way. So yes, unlearning is very painful because it means you have to experience a kind of complexity about moving through the world that you didn’t have before. And that’s very abstract, but it’s not abstract when you’re losing something.

Lauren Berlant in conversation with Bea Malsky, “Pleasure Won: A Conversation with Lauren Berlant,” The Point Magazine

• 4 weeks later...

September 1968.

“The other day I noticed Beckett along one of the footpaths in the Luxembourg Gardens, reading a newspaper in a way that reminded me of one of his characters. He was seated in a chair, lost in thought, as he usually is. He looked rather unwell. I didn’t dare approach him. What would I say? I like him so much but it’s better that we not speak. He is so discreet! Conversation is a form of play-acting that requires a certain lack of restraint. It’s a game which Beckett wasn’t made for. Everything about him bespeaks a silent monologue.”

From Cioran, Cahiers 1957-1972

“(…) love is always hopeless, and yet hope belongs only to it. This is the ultimate meaning of the myth of Pandora. The fact that hope, as the final gift, remains in the box means that it does not expect its factual accomplishment in the world- not because it postpones its fulfillment to an invisible beyond but because somehow it has always already been satisfied.

Love hopes because it imagines and imagines because it hopes. What does it hope for? Does it hope to be satisfied? Not really, since hope and the imagination are essentially linked with something unsatisfiable. This is the case not because they do not desire to obtain their object, but because, insofar as it is imagined and hoped for, their desire is always already satisfied.”

- Giorgio Agamben, The Adventure.

Capitalism’s deception consists in convincing us, as it convinces Deleuze and Guattari, that desire can transcend its failures and overcome all barriers. We don’t need more desire, but rather the recognition that the barrier is what we desire,”

Todd McGowan

There are figures of social authority (parents, athletes, film stars, presidents), but there is no social authority as such. No one, in other words, knows the secret of social order or how one might fully belong to it,”

says McGowan on Lacan saying the big Other does not exist.

He’d sent letters to Offler, Om, and Blind Io, all important gods, and also to Anoia, a minor goddess of Things That Stick In Drawers.*

*Often, but not uniquely, a ladle, but sometimes a metal spatula or, rarely, a mechanical egg-whisk that nobody in the house admits to ever buying. The desperate, mad rattling and cries of “How can it close on the damn thing but not open with it? Who bought this? Do we ever use it?” is as praise unto Anoia. She also eats corkscrews.

– on Anoia | Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

• 1 month later...

Love quotes on his interests are sure to bind him with you.

For him, your love is unparalleled! So why not your quotes be adorable too!

You feel blessed to have someone like him, with whom you can share your deepest and darkest secrets. Your dreams and hopes, or more importantly a guy with whom you can be yourself in any situation!

Love makes us do unimaginable things that we have only dreamt about, singing love songs, writing sonnets, and being poetic are a few ways of expressing love.

Love is an indescribable and magical feeling that makes you feel like you are at the top of the world.

It’s all about finding the right love quotes for your boyfriend or husband that describe your feelings towards your special someone. Sharing your feelings with your man.

Here are some cute and lovely quotes for him to keep the spark between the couple ignited. Let him know how much you love him with this romantic selection of words:

Propose Him With Short 'I love you' Quotes

Surrender your feelings for him residing in depths of your heart with these beautiful quotes.

My life is wonderful because you are with me, you make me happy even if I feel sad and low. Your smile lightens up my life and all the darkness disappear. Your love has made me crazy. I will love you till the end of my life. And I want to be with all my life. Yes, I love you!

- Quote by Unknown

You stepped down, trying not to look long at me, as if I were the sun, yet you saw me, like the sun, even without looking directly.

- Quote by Leo Tolstoy

Can I keep you and never let you go?

Can I hold your hand and hug you tight?

Can I tell the world how lucky I am to have you in my life?

Or simply, can you be mine for the rest of my life?

- Quote by Narumi sayaco

For once in my life, I don’t have to try to BE HAPPY, when I’m with you, it just happens…I LOVE YOU with all I have!!!

- Quote by Almera

I swear when our lips touch, I can taste the next sixty years of my life.

- Quote by Unknown

Don’t search me anywhere because I am always in your heart. Put your hand on your heart and you will feel me. Please never leave me and never ever let me go because I will never find a more beautiful place to live. Please be with me till the end of life. I love you!

- Quote by Unknown

Whatever our souls are made out of, his and mine are the same...If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger.

- Quote by Emily Brontë, Wuthering Heights

(Tip: Replace 'he' with 'you')

Some honorable mentions of romantic quotes to propose him:

I have for the first time found what I can truly love. I found you.

- Quote by Charlotte Bronte

I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if there is life after that, I'll love you then.

- Quote by Cassandra Clare, City of Glass

You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question.

- Quote by Albert Camus

The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more, that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds. And that's what you've given me. That's what I'd hoped to give you forever.

- Quote by Nicholas Sparks

True love is rare, and it's the only thing that gives life real meaning.

- Quote by Nicholas Sparks

You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question.

- Quote by Albert Camus

My heart doesn't work right without you.

- Quote by Kresley Cole

You’re the hope in the morning,

You’re the light when the night is falling,

you’re the song when my heart is singing, it’s your love!

- Quote by Brandon Heath

Also Read: Best Romantic Comedy Movies to Watch.

Best Romantic Anniversary Quotes for your Husband

Tell him how much you adore the moments that you have spent with him with these beautiful words.

Whatever our souls are made out of, your and mine are the same... If all else perished, and you remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and you were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger.

- Quote by Emily Brontë, WUTHERING HEIGHTS

For more you can go on SHEROES and search for - "Love Quotes for him"

• 1 month later...

“In his hopeless struggle with the power of society, the individual seeks to avert his own destruction by identifying with that power and then rationalizing the change of direction as authentic individual fulfillment. The impotent petitioner becomes the tragic panegyrist.”

— Theodore Adorno, In Search of Wagner

Depressive anxieties are often so unbearable that attempts are made to obviate them by means other than genuine mourning and reparation; or, to put this slightly differently, reparation can take different forms, some of them more genuine than others: for instance, it can become mechanistic and obsessional, or, alternatively, assume a manic character, which carries a note of omnipotent triumph over the object. Segal enriches the conception of art as reparation by associating different ways of attempting to make reparation with qualitatively different aesthetic outcomes. Thus, in the event that reparation is not genuine but rather masks a manic denial of loss, it can give rise to “a constant make-believe that all was well with the world”; translated into art, this can produce an “effect of superficiality and prettiness”.

-Dimitrios Mellos

People invent, and reinvent, concepts like zero and nothing and

species and organism just as they “invented” the so-called

imaginary numbers now essential for dealing with everything from

electric circuits to four-dimensional space-time. They aren’t a

“given” any more than shapeless space or a “second” as a measure

of time. Or as physicist Frank Oppenheimer used to say, frustrated

when people would warn him to accept the limitations of the “real

world”: “It’s not the real world; it’s a world we made up.”

-K.C. Cole

Campaigns to destigmatize so-called “mental illness” often take a wrong turning here. They try to demonstrate how suffers of some condition have made amazing contributions to the science or the arts. Trying to destigmatize the diagnosis of autism, for example, we read how Einstein and Newton would have received that diagnosis today, and yet made fabulous discoveries in the field of physics. Even if they are acknowledged to have been “different”, their worth is still reckoned in terms of how their work has impacted on the world of others. However well-intentioned, such perspectives are hardly judicious, as they make an implicit equation between value and social utility. Taking this step is dangerous, as the moment that human life is defined in terms of utility, the door to stigmatization and segregation is opened. If someone was found to be not useful, what value, then, would their life have? This was in fact exactly the argument of the early-twentieth-century eugenicists who complained for the extermination of the mentally ill. Although no one would admit such aspirations today, we cannot ignore the resurfacing in recent years of a remarkably similar discourse, with its emphasis on social utility, hereditary and genetic vulnerability.

Darian Leader, What Is Madness?

• Like 1

“I am empty of everything and there is nothing left in my mind,” said the monk to Joshu. “What do you say to that?” Joshu said, “Cast that away.” But the monk persisted. “I have told you, there is nothing left in me. I am completely empty. What can I cast away?” “In that case,” replied Joshu,”keep on carrying it.””

— Joshu

“If the fathers of capitalist theory (Hobbes, Smith, Locke) had chosen a mother instead of a single bourgeois male as the smallest economic unit for their theoretical constructions they would not have been able to formulate the axiom of the selfish nature of human beings the way they did.”

— Maria Mies and Veronika Bennholdt-Thomsen, The Subsistence Perspective: Beyond the Globalised Economy

• Like 1

“A few conclusions become clear when we understand this: that our most cruel failure in how we treat the sick and the aged is the failure to recognize that they have priorities beyond merely being safe and living longer; that the chance to shape one’s story is essential to sustaining meaning in life; that we have the opportunity to refashion our institutions, our culture, and our conversations in ways that transform the possibilities for the last chapters of everyone’s lives.”

— Atul Gawande, Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End