Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Back in the Day.....

Seraphim

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shortest in my large family and shortest in my grade growing up. Superman you got shotgun. I got the hump in the back seat.

Another fun memory pre-seat belts is being in the very back of the station wagon. Lying down with our feet in the back window, making our feet dance in unison to be silly for the driver behind.

My grandma collecting beanie babies and giving some to us. Playing basketball for hours into the evening/night. Pogs. Kick the can. Ghost in the graveyard. People getting mad in football if you hit them too hard. X-Men animated and Recess and Doug on TV. Saturdays when we were young with my grandparents and they had a domesticated squirrel in their garage for a year or two. He was injured and they rescued him.

Pool in the summer all day with my sister and mom.

The loooong walk home from elementary school, it was only 1km, but felt like 4!

School pizza days and "orange drink"

Double dutch and dodgeball

The long drive every summer from Ontario to NB and back

Picking (and eating) wild berries all day long

Playing with crabs, digging for clams, chasing seagulls and skipping stones along the shoreline

Prank wars between my brother, grandpa and I.

Me toooooo! LOL.

and top of the pops ..thursday nights ..omg could you imagine missing top of the pops hahaha

going to the shop with 10p ( sorry no idea in american maybe 15 cents or something like that)

and coming out with a crap load of sweets ..most things where 1/2 p ...can you remember 1/2 p hhaahha

having a row of proper shops ..a greengrocer , a butcher , a post office , a bank ..all shut on sunday might I add .

and at christmas everything really did shut down for nearly two weeks ... and you REALLY did need to buy all your shopping to last ... no sales on boxing day ... boxing day for us was always to visit family with the left overs made into a buffet . Fabulous .

All the kids walked to school, without their parents. Ran home for lunch, and back. Played Red Rover on the schoolyard waiting for the bell to ring.

Being a crossing guard was a big deal, reserved for 5th and 6th graders. We wore a sash and carried a flag on a long pole for holding back the kids, then for guarding them while crossing.

The ice cream man rode through the neighborhood on summer evenings.

Our land line was a party line, shared with 4 other households.

Before we had zip codes we had a 2-digit number used between the city and state.

The first polio vaccine was a big big deal.

I remember cars without seatbelts.

Going on our annual summer vacations to the "seaside" - a very long 8 hour drive, and stopping every so often at some wayside gas station to "stretch our legs". The biggest treat of all being a stop over at a "roadhouse" and having a hamburger and milkshake. For us kids it was like a million Christmasses all in one, because we never had junk food (mom always cooked). Haven't seen a roadhouse in years ......do they still exist? hmmm...

Archived