Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Anyone fluent in ASL (American Sign Language)?

hers

I recently started learning ASL and am enjoying it but I need an opportunity to practice. I go to link removed and watch the gifs of signs and I'm ok at individual signs but when it comes to putting sentences together and conversing, I clam up and am not good at it.

I work in an audiology clinic and there is some opportunity to use it with some patients, but we don't get a lot of patients who are deaf and need to sign (well, we get some, but not really much I'm able to help with. I certainly can't interpret but I can get by with audiology-specific signs and figure out what they need and what I can do, even though I clam up and have to start finger spelling, which I'm slow at).

Does anyone have any tips? I'm trying to work on my facial expressions and such too, but a lot of my hangup is sentence structure. I have an English degree and have always been big on grammar, so I want to sign EVERY word to make it grammatically correct (like "a," "an," "the," etc) and my mind therefore gets in front of my signing.

I'm always willing to Skype too to help practice if anyone is offering. Strictly platonic and slowly signing, of course!

Archived